Buccaneers CoughSchiano Leak That Josh Freeman is in Stage One of NFL Drug Program

T0mShane

Apparently, it's supposed to be confidential, and Stage One could be anything (booze, erratic behavior), and supposedly there are a lot of players in Stage One. But the Buccaneers leaked it, coincidentally after Mike Glennon went out and fell on his face. Looks to be a full-on mutiny on its way in Tampa.

It'd be a cagey move by Freeman's agent to leak this in order to force a trade. Everyone around that team (outside of ownership) despise Schiano, so he'd be the obvious suspect to leak this news, and it'd make keeping Freeman in Tampa so untenable that it'd force a quick trade, possibly with Tampa converting some of his salary to a bonus in order to offset the dollars that the new team takes on. If you're a team like Green Bay looking for a backup, you can probably get Freeman for free right now. Tampa has negative leverage.

Could Freeman put up better numbers with a change of scenery? His 2010 numbers were better than Sanchez ever put up and 2012 wasnt that bad either. Schiano and that coaching staff sucks. If he is willing to extend his contract for a year or two to keep his cap number down, why shouldnt the Jets take a look at him?

It'd be a cagey move by Freeman's agent to leak this in order to force a trade. Everyone around that team (outside of ownership) despise Schiano, so he'd be the obvious suspect to leak this news, and it'd make keeping Freeman in Tampa so untenable that it'd force a quick trade, possibly with Tampa converting some of his salary to a bonus in order to offset the dollars that the new team takes on. If you're a team like Green Bay looking for a backup, you can probably get Freeman for free right now. Tampa has negative leverage.

I don't see how leaking bad press on a player makes him more attractive to other teams.  Teams will already be hesitant because of his erratic play, missing team photos (etc.) But now, he potentially has a drinking problem, or something similar?  

Could Freeman put up better numbers with a change of scenery? His 2010 numbers were better than Sanchez ever put up and 2012 wasnt that bad either. Schiano and that coaching staff sucks. If he is willing to extend his contract for a year or two to keep his cap number down, why shouldnt the Jets take a look at him?

Cause we already have more than one underachieving, relative big named, loser on this roster. Trading sanchez for Freeman's name, no thanks. Lateral sh*t move.

I don't see how leaking bad press on a player makes him more attractive to other teams. Teams will already be hesitant because of his erratic play, missing team photos (etc.) But now, he potentially has a drinking problem, or something similar?

Freeman issued a statement, saying it's for Adderall, and that he's passed 46 drug tests since entering the program. If the Bucs are holding out looking for a third or fourth rounder, no team was going to give that to them because of his play and behavior. But, now, the Bucs would take a future seventh just to get him out of the building. I think teams would risk that.

Cause we already have more than one underachieving, relative big named, loser on this roster. Trading sanchez for Freeman's name, no thanks. Lateral sh*t move.

Lagarret Blount seems to be doing better after getting away from that coaching staff. Sanchez is gone next year anyway. Low risk, high reward transaction.

Lagarret Blount seems to be doing better after getting away from that coaching staff. Sanchez is gone next year anyway. Low risk, high reward transaction.

We know what Freeman is, and elite is not it. I'd rather see what Geno's got so we can move forward in the draft and try to get someone who is elite.

We know what Freeman is, and elite is not it. I'd rather see what Geno's got so we can move forward in the draft and try to get someone who is elite.

He would not be the first quarterback to do better once he has a change of scenery. He has played well in the past, better than Sanchez. Playing Geno this season is not going to tell us "what he got". It will take another year or two before we see that. Its worth a shot if you believe Geno is holding this team back, which I believe he is. If the Jets simply punt the ball on every possession against the Titans, they are tied with them at halftime. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/josh-freeman-statement/

Freeman's statement:

[Editor's noteJosh Freeman has issued a statement through his agents in response to the Monday report regarding his status in Stage One of the league's substance-abuse program.  The full text of the statement appears below.]

Let me be very clear. I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances. Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half.

Since the confidentiality of my medical status has been publicly violated, I am choosing to address this matter so that grossly erroneous assumptions about me do not persist.  Like millions of Americans, I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career.  Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall) , and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the “NFL Program”.  Since that time, I have taken and passed all 46 drug tests I’ve been given, which test for every drug and banned substance imaginable. I agreed to allow such testing to be done at my workplace (team facility) because I spend all of my time there and I have nothing whatsoever to hide or be embarrassed about.

Unfortunately, it appears that some people who may have noticed the testing at my workplace have made hurtful and incorrect assumptions and chosen to disseminate inaccurate and very disturbing information. It is a shame that when times have gotten tough, people have chosen to attack the character of others, rather than supporting each other. I remain dedicated and focused to being the best quarterback I can be and to help a team win a championship.

this is going to be SO ugly by the time it's all said and done.

Freeman issued a statement, saying it's for Adderall, and that he's passed 46 drug tests since entering the program. If the Bucs are holding out looking for a third or fourth rounder, no team was going to give that to them because of his play and behavior. But, now, the Bucs would take a future seventh just to get him out of the building. I think teams would risk that.

46 clean tests is a helluva stretch...and for Adderall?!  That is ADD/ADHD medicine.  In the gym it can be used as a stimulant, but that doesn't equate to thuggish drug abuse or irresponsibility.  

I can see where you're going with your conspiracy theory.  Carry on. 

As much as I'd like to celebrate Revis going 3-13 this year all it really does is speed up his inevitable debut with the Pats.

If the bucs go 3-13, the jets look dumb for not waiting for the first in 2014 instead as originally offered

If the bucs go 3-13, the jets look dumb for not waiting for the first in 2014 instead as originally offered

It was a conditional pick (conditional 4th?) that could turn into a 1st if this and if that. No evidence that it was the same conditions that turn their 2014 4th into a 3rd. 

Have to take the sure-thing 1st rounder.  If Revis got hurt (or gets hurt) it wouldn't look too smart.

Benched Tampa Bay Buccaneersquarterback Josh Freeman said he has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and voluntarily entered the NFL substance abuse program more than a year ago after mistakenly taking a medication to treat the condition.

Freeman said Monday night in a statement released by his agent that he has passed all 46 drug tests he's taken for the league since once using Ritalin instead of Adderall to treat ADHD.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/buccaneers-qb-freeman-says-adhd-042156970--nfl.html

Sanchez had a color chart, Freeman had the plays on his wrist...........written backwards.

46 clean tests is a helluva stretch...and for Adderall?!  That is ADD/ADHD medicine.  In the gym it can be used as a stimulant, but that doesn't equate to thuggish drug abuse or irresponsibility.   

adderall is basically speed or meth. morphine is essentially heroin. just cause it's legal etc... 

since we are talking about it there has to be some connection between the blue pills of adderall and the blue meth of Walter White. 

adderall-10.jpg

Archived