Josh Freeman released

SayNoToDMC

On the same day he finally got his wish and ran incumbent starting quarterback Josh Freeman out of town, Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano revealed just how he feels about his role and his status with the Buccaneers.

During a breakfast meeting with suite ticket holders, Schiano dropped this nugget of insight into his mindset as the leader of the Buccaneers.

And why did the situation “need Greg Schiano?”

Referring to himself in third person? Referring to a departing coach who won more games than him through the same amount of games as a laughingstock?

This is out of control, and it has to end immediately.

If Raheem Morris had the franchise in the state of “laughingstock,” Schiano has it in the state of “object of burning hatred and distrust.” Fans and media members in Tampa Bay and across the nation have a generally negative perception of Schiano, and his comments to Bucs’ fans who pay a lot of money for the seats they sit in won’t help his image.

If Schiano truly believes he’s helped this franchise since he’s arrived, he’s sadly mistaken. He’s received a huge influx of talent over the last two seasons (although he says it’s impossible to load a roster in two seasons). And with that increase talent, he tripped and fell into a decent start to his first year.

But since the last part of his first season in Tampa Bay, he’s led a team that’s tied with Jacksonville for the worst record in the NFL over the last 10 weeks of play.  Compare the rosters in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville, and there should be absolutely no reason for those teams to be mentioned in the same breath.

So if Schiano’s job was to come in and simply “be better than Raheem Morris,” it’s arguable that he’s even reached that goal. Because Morris started stronger, and didn’t lose the locker room until later in his tenure.

And if you (the reader) believe that Schiano is doing okay because he’s not losing as badly as Raheem did, then you have very low standards, and you’re relying on moral victories. Moral victories are okay for a Big East school with a lower football budget than many bigger rivals and a lack of recent success.

But in the NFL, moral victories are meaningless. Head coaches should coach teams to victories, not to “improved performances compared to the last head coach.”

The Buccaneers removed half of the drama by releasing Josh Freeman. It’s time to remove the other half and fire Greg Schiano.

I expect there'll be a few suitors, he's pretty talented and I don't think he's done yet.

I'd take him for dirt cheap money if possible, but I doubt it will be. 

It could be better for him to wait a while.  Michael Vick or one of these other running QB's is bound to get injured sooner or later.  Sign on with a decent team that has a need for a QB rather than take a backup job immediately.

Isn't Oakland in those same sweepstakes?  Besides, Pryor's probably better than Freeman.

Oakland has one win.  Which isn't to say they can't get a shiny new QB at the top of the first round, but like you point out, I think they actually like Pryor.  

The current winless teams are: Pittsburgh, Giants, Jacksonville, and Tampa Bay; the latter two need a face for their franchise. 

I think Freeman is a possibility in Oakland because they just downgraded Matt Flynn behind some late round rookie, they might prefer Freeman as a backup to Pryor over Flynn, Scrub and Co. given Pryor's injury risk with his playing style and their distaste for the other QBs on roster.  

one of the true wonders of our time. 

Not a wonder....more like just a lazy piece of sh*t on the field with marginal instinct. Clearly he was a beast in the gym but it didn't do sh*t for him on the field. Never gave 100% and never gave any second effort after he was blocked.  Not even Rex could fire him up to make a damn sack.. 

Archived