Why is Clyde Gates Playing in This League?

Knix Tix

This guy really is a comedy of errors...he's worse than a walk-on.  So, can somebody please give me a solid reason as to why Gates is on this roster and Edwards is not?  Geno could use Edwards right about now.  Braylon may have had a case of the dropsies before coming to NY, but he's been nothing short of dependable here.  Even had some amazing catches in pre-season.  So how the h3ll did Gates beat out Edwards?

I often wonder the same damn thing. Either Rex or Idzik has an axe to grind with Braylon Edwards sickens me personal issues come before the good of the team.

Yep, it's collusion.  All 32 NFL owners, GMs and head coaches have a personal vendetta against the guy.  Orrrrr, he's on the wrong side of 30, his knee is shot and he literally hasn't had a productive season in three years...when we cut him.  But noo, you're probably right, it's a personal vendetta.

This guy really is a comedy of errors...he's worse than a walk-on.  So, can somebody please give me a solid reason as to why Gates is on this roster and Edwards is not?  Geno could use Edwards right about now.  Braylon may have had a case of the dropsies before coming to NY, but he's been nothing short of dependable here.  Even had some amazing catches in pre-season.  So how the h3ll did Gates beat out Edwards?

Edwards is not that Edwards anymore and Spadola is better than him.

Edwards is certainly better than that waste product Gates.  And I agree, from what we saw of Spadola during pre-season, he may be better than Brayon...yet Gates gets more burn than Spadola.

Any other option is better than that a$$-clown of a receiver Gates!

Having one of these guys on the roster is fine, you know, one of those, wow if we can only teach that guy how to actually play football, guys. But only the Jets, with Hill and Gates, feel the need to end up with two at the same position.

Even that wouldn't be bad if they weren't both called on to start.  

Even that wouldn't be bad if they weren't both called on to start.  

I pretty much blame you..  You put a curse on Gates this summer when you kept touting him as the 2nd coming of Steve Largent.  I warned you to  temper your enthusiasm.

I'm a big Edwards fan, and was very happy when the Jets resigned him.   At this point in time, this statement is true.

Spadola is a feel good story.  The Jets are one of the few rosters he would be on.  If he has anything, now is the time to show it, he may never get another chance.   No dropped balls

I pretty much blame you..  You put a curse on Gates this summer when you kept touting him as the 2nd coming of Steve Largent.  I warned you to  temper your enthusiasm.

Steve Largent?  I was thinking more like Cliff Branch.

I still think he is getting a bum rap around here.  His kick returns have been pretty pathetic, but I think the drops are overblown.  That sh*t in NE was nowhere near as bad as this board acts.  He's also nursing his hamstring and while constant injuries are a problem, I give him some respect for not walking off the field like our fearless leader.

Edwards is certainly better than that waste product Gates.  And I agree, from what we saw of Spadola during pre-season, he may be better than Brayon...yet Gates gets more burn than Spadola.

Any other option is better than that a$$-clown of a receiver Gates!

That is true my friend, very very true. 

I agree with you, but unfortunately, I can't say anything lest we be banned from this forum.

I'm still really hoping to see this speed at some point.

Johnny 'Lam' Jones was real fast too. Gates isn't even as good as Jones, who sucked quite frankly. Gates is a product of Rex Ryan's LOVE of underachievers that he thinks he can 'coach' into being great. Nice job so far Rex.

Keep on hating.  The guy dropped a couple of balls in bad conditions.  The TD that called back was not a drop by any stretch.  Nobody gets a 2nd chance with you armchair GMs. Then you armchair GMs can sit around and pine for Braylon. Braylon never had an issue with drops, right?

When Clyde Gates does what Braylon did in the stretch runs in 2009-2010 then you have an argument until then you don't.

When Clyde Gates does what Braylon did in the stretch runs in 2009-2010 then you have an argument until then you don't.

What is the ******* argument?  You guys want to act like the guy isn't worth a roster spot and you want to replace him with a zero upside semi-cripple.  He is playing hurt and he had a bad game.  Big ******* deal. He's not making much money.  True, if you look at FO, he is one of the lowest rated guys with over 15 passes this season. Guys below him include Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt and Cecil Shorts. Let's not blow a gasket screaming to trade a pick for Britt or Shorts if Gates is so useless.

Archived