Clowney not the automatic #1 most thought he was?

Kleckineau

Is Clowney the next Javon Kearse or Vernon Gholston?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/steve-spurrier-frustrated-star-jadeveon-clowney-034343634--ncaaf.html

Jadeveon Clowney’s ailments are starting to wear on South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Clowney, a Heisman candidate, missed Saturday’s game against Kentucky because of bruised ribs. And Spurrier had no idea his supposed star player was going to miss the game until Clowney informed him.

"I will just say he told me he couldn’t play,” Spurrier said of how he learned Clowney wouldn’t dress.

Clowney missed practice on Thursday, but defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward told media he thought Clowney would play. Clowney was even announced with the starters prior to the game.

But he strolled out of the tunnel without his pads and Spurrier couldn’t help but sound off about Clowney’s decision.

"If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said.

Can’t blame Spurrier for showing his frustration with Clowney. He was supposed to be a star defensive end that could compete for the Heisman Trophy. But through five games this season, Clowney has complained of various ailments. He was sick before the North Carolina and Central Florida games. He’s been working through bone spurs in his right foot, an injury he’s nursed since high school. And now he has bruised ribs.

All of that amounts to just 12 tackles and two sacks for the reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

Oh, and one very unhappy Ol’ Ball Coach.

He'll drop to 8, the Giants will draft him, and he'll make ten All-Pro squads.

I could see that happening.  I just know that if the Jets draft anything other than offensive playmakers in the first 3 rounds someone should take a crap on the hood of Woody's, Idzik's and Rex's cars.  

Is Clowney the next Javon Kearse or Vernon Gholston?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/steve-spurrier-frustrated-star-jadeveon-clowney-034343634--ncaaf.html

Jadeveon Clowney’s ailments are starting to wear on South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Clowney, a Heisman candidate, missed Saturday’s game against Kentucky because of bruised ribs. And Spurrier had no idea his supposed star player was going to miss the game until Clowney informed him.

"I will just say he told me he couldn’t play,” Spurrier said of how he learned Clowney wouldn’t dress.

Clowney missed practice on Thursday, but defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward told media he thought

Clowney would play. Clowney was even announced with the starters prior to the game.

But he strolled out of the tunnel without his pads and Spurrier couldn’t help but sound off about Clowney’s decision.

"If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said.

Can’t blame Spurrier for showing his frustration with Clowney. He was supposed to be a star defensive end that could compete for the Heisman Trophy. But through five games this season, Clowney has complained of various ailments. He was sick before the North Carolina and Central Florida games. He’s been working through bone spurs in his right foot, an injury he’s nursed since high school. And now he has bruised ribs.

All of that amounts to just 12 tackles and two sacks for the reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

Oh, and one very unhappy Ol’ Ball Coach.

I think "someone" has told Clowney to save himself and not risk injury and a loss of some very big NFL dollars. Not saying he has an agent, just a guardian angel. I happen to think he will be a bust for whoever gives him big money as the top pick. I know it's a slotted draft now and the money isn't back breaking but missing on a top 5 pick always sets you back. Is he Gholston bad? Probably not. He is a speed / leverage guy who is not overly strong. If he gets stronger and doesn't lose his burst he could be a Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka type. Not bad, but I don't think he is great. Rex will though

I could see that happening.  I just know that if the Jets draft anything other than offensive playmakers in the first 3 rounds someone should take a crap on the hood of Woody's, Idzik's and Rex's cars.

Just tell me where they park. Clowney would be a huge mistake for Jets. I don't think he is Gholston bad, but he would not be great in a three man line. I agree if the Giants took him he would be very good. The GMen know how to play 43 defense as well as any team and better than most. The Jets used to, but they haven't played a legitimate 43 in a long time.

Just tell me where they park. Clowney would be a huge mistake for Jets. I don't think he is Gholston bad, but he would not be great in a three man line. I agree if the Giants took him he would be very good. The GMen know how to play 43 defense as well as any team and better than most. The Jets used to, but they haven't played a legitimate 43 in a long time.

on top of the fact the best part of the team happens to be the d-line just leave it alone. It's young and approaching dominance.  We need to find guys that can score points.  I could see us going QB then WR unless Geno bounces back like Rocky in the late rounds of Rocky II.  

I think "someone" has told Clowney to save himself and not risk injury and a loss of some very big NFL dollars. Not saying he has an agent, just a guardian angel. I happen to think he will be a bust for whoever gives him big money as the top pick. I know it's a slotted draft now and the money isn't back breaking but missing on a top 5 pick always sets you back. Is he Gholston bad? Probably not. He is a speed / leverage guy who is not overly strong. If he gets stronger and doesn't lose his burst he could be a Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka type. Not bad, but I don't think he is great. Rex will though

maybe he does not want to play for the worst team in the NFL>

If he's injured, he's injured.  But it seems his own coaches aren't happy with him and he's going through the motions for whatever reason.  Maybe he is just waiting for the NFL, but that kind of attitude already gets a lot of players into trouble and they wound up being closer to a bust than some pro bowler.  What happens if he does wind up on some terrible team and organization and maybe he's not on the Jags, but he winds up on a team who always loses. Say Cleveland.   Cleveland has moments, but they always wind up a bad team.     So does he get bored and wind up sitting plays and games?   

We saw how a bad attitude kind and 'all about the money'  sent Revis packing to the bucs.  The guy could have waited it out, became a free agent, and went anywhere, like to the 49ers or Pats or Broncos or who knows.   But he's greedy.  So he's on a terrible team who has a decent defense.      And he never seems to take games off.   Clowney is being questioned by his own head coach.   On a team who could compete for a BCS bowl game, win an SEC championship and so on.   What the hell is this kid going to do on a team who is on pace for a 3-13 season?    It's a bad sign and attitude and we've seen many players over the years who wind up being nothing because of their attitudes.  Sometimes arrogance is the downfall of people.  

You do realize your saying a 6'6" 260lb 19-20 year old is not overly strong?  Um I am pretty sure at 18, and 19 he was strong enough to toss around top drafted OL guys from the SEC, imagine what he can do at 22+ years of age after a couple years in an NFL strength program!  Yea it's scary to even think about.  The kid is straight up making sure he goes into the NFL combine with the least amount of mileage on his body, and so he is 100% healthy, he knows he had no shot at winning the heisman, or winning a national title, and wanted to come out last year, so he is thinking why should I risk injury when I have my best years of my life financially just 5 months away. 

There is a lot of rumors floating around he is lazy, and has a bad work ethic, this may be true, but trust me that 1st NFL contract is not the life changing money it used to be, they don't get 40-50 million guaranteed anymore, they have to work hard the 1st 3-5 years to make sure they get more than 10 Million in their NFL career, yes 10 million is a lot of money, but not if it's all you make for your NFL career, and live the life of Reily while doing it, you will be broke by 30 years old.  So he will have to work very hard to make sure he breaks the bank in the NFL, I can't see a guy with his talent not being a top 5 defensive player if he works semi hard his first 5 years, after that it's on him if he wants to turn into Albert Haynesworth, or possibly the next LT!

Archived