QB Help..

SweetLee83

Got Matt Ryan on a bye this week and can choose from the following, who do I grab?

Russell Wilson vs. Tennessee 

Alex Smith   vs. Oakland

Joe Flacco    vs. Green Bay 

Carson Palmer @ San Fran 

Need some help here...

I like Alex Smith this week.

Take Wilson.  You need an option for more than just this week and Wilson is the best of that group.  Does anyone really think Matt Ryan will be a viable option at QB after the bye with a half-dead Roddy White and Harry Douglas as his WR's?  Yeah, he gets Steven Jackson back and still has Tony Gonzalez, but he's not a top 10 option every week on lock like he was when he had Julio.  Take away Julio's one-handed catch from Monday night alone and Matt Ryan's fantasy numbers are middle of the pack.

With Wilson and Ryan, you can play the matchups going forward.  Or maybe take a look around your league for a trade, I'm sure there's a buy-low candidate at QB you can get.  Tom Brady might be someone to look at with Gronk coming back.

Take Wilson.  You need an option for more than just this week and Wilson is the best of that group.  Does anyone really think Matt Ryan will be a viable option at QB after the bye with a half-dead Roddy White and Harry Douglas as his WR's?  Yeah, he gets Steven Jackson back and still has Tony Gonzalez, but he's not a top 10 option every week on lock like he was when he had Julio.  Take away Julio's one-handed catch from Monday night alone and Matt Ryan's fantasy numbers are middle of the pack.

With Wilson and Ryan, you can play the matchups going forward.  Or maybe take a look around your league for a trade, I'm sure there's a buy-low candidate at QB you can get.  Tom Brady might be someone to look at with Gronk coming back.

Right now, Wilson 22nd in total points scored in my league for QBs. Matt Ryan is 4th. Alex Smith is 11th.

However, you bring up a great point about Ryan with Jones now out, I can't believe I didn't consider that. My worry with Wilson is they are a run heavy team and don't really pass a lot. Harvin back would help but thats still a few weeks away. 

Right now, Wilson 22nd in total points scored in my league for QBs. Matt Ryan is 4th. Alex Smith is 11th.

However, you bring up a great point about Ryan with Jones now out, I can't believe I didn't consider that. My worry with Wilson is they are a run heavy team and don't really pass a lot. Harvin back would help but thats still a few weeks away. 

Wilson stands to get better, Ryan is set to head way downhill.  Do you really think Wilson will be outside of the top 20 when the season is over?  He's too good for that.  Yeah, he's in a run-first offense, but he still gets points.  And those handful of points he gets by being able to run for yardage can be very valuable.  Even a crappy QB like Terrelle Pryor can have really good fantasy days because he can run.  It's sort of an insurance policy if the guy has a bad day throwing.

Matt Ryan, meanwhile, will have days where he can't do anything.  I imagine a few 2 or 3-INT type days going forward, some not even his fault.  I'm not saying he's a guy you permanently bench but if he has a bad matchup, you start Wilson.

Archived