Antwan Barnes Gone For the Year

flgreen

Jets lose Antwan Barnes for the year to knee injury

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 9, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Antwan Barnes

AP

Throughout the quarterback drama that seems to overshadow everything in New York, the Jets have played solid defense which gets overlooked.3

Now they have to find some help there.

The Jets announced they had placed outside linebacker Antwan Barnes on season-ending injured reserve with a knee injury, replacing him on the roster with outside linebacker Ricky Sapp.

Barnes had 2.0 sacks this season, coming in as a situational pass-rusher. He worked behind starters Quinton Coples and Calvin Pace, but was a solid contributor after coming over from San Diego.

Of course, the biggest noise he made this year was with his mouth, after taking a shot at Bills defensive end Mario Williams and the Panthers offensive line in one swipe.

Damn that sucks for Barnes. I liked his intensity and thought he was a solid backup who could help put pressure on the QB. Hopefully Sapp can step in and finally do something with all that potential.

coples was either taken out or moved inside for Barnes on almost every passing down Monday night. Both Coples and McIntyre need to step it up.

Huge loss. The only edge rusher on the entire team. Hello again Ricky Sapp?

coples was either taken out or moved inside for Barnes on almost every passing down Monday night. Both Coples and McIntyre need to step it up.

Losing Barnes hurts.  Definitely the best situation pass rusher.

I noticed Coples played just about every position on the front 7 other than MLB/ILB on MNF.  Not sure if moving around so much didnt equate to the stat sheet but I definitely saw him occupying blockers.  We talked about it in the game thread, that one Rodgers TD he didnt disengage but he created a monster lane that should have easily been filled.  Also saw him absolutely explode their OL twice which made room for others to get in the back field to make a play.  And then I watched him completely flushed out of plays.  

However, you're right, we need him to pick it up and get to the QB.

This sucks.  Barnes was doing a good job and had carved out a nice role for himself.  More than losing his production number wise, this has to effect the rest of the guys rushing the passer.  Hard to find someone decent at this stage of the season.

From the sound of Rex Ryan's reaction in the "Practice Tweets" thread, I would be surprised if Barnes didn't make returning to the Jets his top priority once he's healed.   Rex spoke very highly of him, and if Rex is still around next year I imagine he'll pound the table to bring him back aboard. 

This blows.  I like Coples and think he's played well at times, but he's going to have to be better as an edge rusher.  You'd have to think they're going to kick him outside more in passing situations. 

It would be great if they can get anything out of Sapp or McIntyre.

Archived