NFL Fan Superstition Index

Maxman

Bud Light recently surveyed NFL fans and formed the “NFL Fan Superstition Index”.  They asked 50 questions which led to the rankings.

Did you know that the Jets fan base is the
7th most superstitious
in the NFL? And, they rank 2
nd
in the league for believing that their superstitious activities affect the outcome of the game.

Raise your hand if you believe that you can have an impact on the outcome of the game because of your rituals?  I have to say that I was skeptical and first and then I realized how many of these I am actually guilty of myself.  Here are some notes related to Jets fans.

New York Jets (superstition ranking: 7/32 teams – top 10)

• Jets fans are most likely to try to curse or jinx the opposing team (37%).
  • Jets fans rank second in the league (46%) for believing their superstitious activities affect the outcome of the game. Only Baltimore Ravens fans are truer believers.
  • Don’t ask me to move. Jets fans are most likely to sit in the same spot when they watch the game to boost team performance (41%).
  • Jets fans rank fourth in the NFL for being publicly mocked (10%) or having a relationship end (4%) due to their game-day superstitions.
  • Jets fans rank fourth in the league (18%) for touching, kissing, rubbing or holding some kind of team memorabilia for the win.
  • Some quality me time: Jets fans rank second in the league for engaging in superstitious activities alone (27%).
  • Jets fans rank third in the league for believing that not doing their game-day superstitions has resulted in a Jets loss (30%) or missing a winning field goal (25%).

Jets Fan Superstitions:

•  “If they win, I will cook the same food the next week.” Male, Age 21-29
  •  “Without a doubt, if I am sitting or standing or doing anything in my house, I will stay in that spot if something good happens.” – Male, Age 40-49
  • “I wear my jersey backwards.” – Female, Age 30-39
  • “My friends and I always wear our lucky jerseys.  Just before the game starts we all open our bottles at the same time and clink them together.” – Female, Age 21-29

Return to Bud Light NFL Fans Superstition Survey and team links.

If the Jets lose while I'm wearing any Jets gear, it doesn't make another appearance that year. I have a nice Jets polo I wore during the Titan game that I won't be testing out again until next preseason. Lol.

The one curse on the Jets that I truly believe, is the "curse of Joe Namath".  It kinda goes like this:

Since the Jets let their greatest and most famous of all players go to the Rams, the Jets have been cursed to never have a true championship team. 

The only way to alleviate the curse is to have Joe suit up for one play and then retire as a Jet (maybe hold for an extra point???).

Make it happen Tanny!

If I get a player (or coach) specific item, like a jersey or tee with name on it, without fail that player is done (at least as a Jet).

I got a Mawae jersey. Mangini ran him out of the locker room because of his role with the players union.

I got a Pennington figurine for my desk (from a friend as a gag gift). He tears his shoulder up again.

I got a Favre jersey. He sustained the only injury of his career that should have had him on the bench missing games. He kept it secret, kept playing for us and ruined a great season.

I got the Rex book after his 2 AFCC games. He leads us to 2 horrible seasons.

I got a Sanchez jersey after his 2 AFCC games. He leads us to 2 horrible seasons and becomes one of the worst starters in the whole NFL.

I got a Revis jersey last year. He gets hurt, then traded to the Bucs the next season.

I have told people to ONLY buy me gridiron collection retro stuff, no specific players or numbers, and try to find me something non-sports related from now on instead.

If the Jets lose while I'm wearing any Jets gear, it doesn't make another appearance that year. I have a nice Jets polo I wore during the Titan game that I won't be testing out again until next preseason. Lol.

Last year my kid and I used to wear all kind of Jets' jersey, Sanchez, Revis, Dbrick, etc.  This year, nothing with Jets logo. 

If I get a player (or coach) specific item, like a jersey or tee with name on it, without fail that player is done (at least as a Jet).

I got a Mawae jersey. Mangini ran him out of the locker room because of his role with the players union.

I got a Pennington figurine for my desk (from a friend as a gag gift). He tears his shoulder up again.

I got a Favre jersey. He sustained the only injury of his career that should have had him on the bench missing games. He kept it secret, kept playing for us and ruined a great season.

I got a Sanchez jersey after his 2 AFCC games. He leads us to 2 horrible seasons and becomes one of the worst starters in the whole NFL.

I got a Revis jersey last year. He gets hurt, then traded to the Bucs the next season.

I have told people to ONLY buy me gridiron collection retro stuff, no specific players or numbers, and try to find me something non-sports related from now on instead.

Fck! I got a Revis jersey last year too so that's definitely why he tore his ACL and got traded. 

I have a much worse record. Chrebet (foot break), Esiason (nearly killed in Buffalo game),  Pennington (shoulder) to name a few. Basically I get the shirt, they get clobbered. The worst was Leon Washington, bought the jersey, the next game was the Raiders game where he got hurt. Hell, I even doomed the Nuge.

My barometer is basically JIF.

If he says the team will do poorly, I expect a win. If he expects them to win, I prepare for the loss.

The same with players and coaches-He touts them, I get my sympathy cards ready.

;)

The Steelers are going to destroy the Jets this weekend.

you're actually an inmate somewhere, aren't you?

Conjugal visit? 

My superstition hasn't really worked so much for the Jets, but so far it has for the Giants.  I work on Sundays in retail which sucks anyway, but we're allowed to wear jerseys and hats on Sundays.  I've worn the same work polo shirt and Jets' hat combo every Sunday when the Giants lost.  I was faced with a dilemma on Thursday for the Giants game because I was working that night too.  I took a chance and wore the same combo anyway.  It turns out the closing manager is a huge Eagles fan.  When I told him why I was wearing the Jets hat, he just looked at the tv, looked at me, and said "it's only weird if it doesn't work" as he was quoting those infamous commercials.  He told me to keep wearing it all season.  If there's any question, yes, he's my favorite manager lol.

I blame this thread for making us loose....way to go hope youre proud of yourself...

It is the Jets fault.  They moved the Aviators from one side of the field (lower level) to the other (mezz).  The Jets were winning.  You don't move them after a win.  What the heck!?!

Archived