David Garrard Is Back

Maxman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably yodel. Just me though.

i figured it out, it's yeti wedder

that pig is calling my darlin' wife a yeti... that's it tomshame, you and me... in front of the saloon... about a quarter to 7 (i have to pick up a loaf of italian bread on my way home first)... duel to the death!!!! 

Why?   He has a roster exemption for two weeks.  If his knee flares up in two weeks of practice, like it did in camp,  they just won't activate him.  Nothing lost

He'll make it the 2 weeks..  he never would have called if he couldn't.

My worry is if we need a backup to go in for a game or more.  I know Matt Simms is the great white hope but when is the last time a barely adequate college QB was able to do anything in what amounts to his rookie year. 

This is good in case Geno goes down, although I'll be even happier when Sanchez' and Santonio Holmes' salaries are cleared from the cap room. Also, I honestly would rather keep Brady Quinn than Matt Simms. I saw Simms start a preseason game, and it was a comedy of errors that ended with the other team (I think it was the Eagles) getting a safety after Simms dropped out of bounds behind the Jets end zone. Therefore, it perplexes me as to how people think he's going to be good.

Jets signed QB David Garrard and placed him on the Exempt List.

The Jets will have a two-week exemption to take a look at Garrard and see if they want to promote him to their active roster. They most likely will. Garrard will be an excellent mentor for Geno Smith and an upgrade on Matt Simms/Brady Quinn at the backup spot. "I was able to take the whole summer off and let my body heal. I started training a couple of months ago and my knee feels great," said Garrard. "I'm sitting at home, watching games thinking, ‘Why am I at home? Why I am doing this to myself?" Garrard, 35, originally said he was retiring when he left the Jets in May.

Honestly, what a bunch of Mary's you all can be.

You are upset that we signed a veteran to take Brady Quinn's spot on the roster for the back half of the season? Really?

Brady. Quinn.

Our depth in front of Brady Quinn is Geno, an erratic rookie, and Simms an unproven who just graduated from the ******* practice squad. 

But yeah, a veteran that already put in time with the team and knows the playbook.... OUTRAGE.

He'll make it the 2 weeks..  he never would have called if he couldn't.

My worry is if we need a backup to go in for a game or more.  I know Matt Simms is the great white hope but when is the last time a barely adequate college QB was able to do anything in what amounts to his rookie year. 

Tom Brady?

New York Jets Quarterback David Garrard, 10.10

On what he’s been doing since he retired...

When I left, I knew I needed some time to just get away and I let my body heal up. My knee was truly bothering me last time and I just took the whole summer and just relaxed. We went to our lake house in North Carolina and I didn’t do anything. I didn’t do any kind of conditioning or anything. (We) got back to Jacksonville towards the middle or end of August and started working out with my wife just to really stay in shape, not to get to heavy or anything like that. That whole time, just the last month, two months, I’ve just been feeling great. My knee’s been feeling great. I’ve been going out just about every other morning and running three miles on concrete and I really thought that would be the real test on if my knee would swell back up and get sore again and it hasn’t. So for the last three weeks I’ve been doing that. I just said I don’t want to turn 50 one day and look back and say what if I just called somebody just to say, ‘hey, you know (if) there’s an opportunity. I’m really thinking about trying to get back.’ And if anybody tells me “We appreciate it. You had a great career, but we’re just going to move on,” then I would’ve been happy with going on with my life. But I just feel I needed to make that call myself and at least see, test the waters and see and I’m very thankful I did. The lord has really blessed me to be able to be here at this time.

On whether he comes back to the team looking to win the starting quarterback job or be a mentor…

Geno (Smith) has the job. If my number is ever called I need to be ready for that. So, my thing is just to help these guys out, him and Matt Simms, and just be as much of a leader as I can in the locker room. And (he) as much of a mentor and a leader as I can in the quarterback room because I was a rookie once and I know how it is. Everything’s flying around and you’ve got guys that are looking for you to be the leader and you’re still trying to figure things out yourself. So if there’s any little tidbits I can give them, any way that I can help them just to continue to evolve as this team’s leader, that’s what I’ll do and do my best at it.

On whether being a mentor was one of the main reasons he wanted to come back…

I think so and that’s just me. I wasn’t trying to fabricate something. I wasn’t trying to say, ‘hey I can do this for you just to give me a shot.’ I’m just going to be me. And with that is, being a guy that you can always count on, in whatever the situation we’re in. Sometimes the situation is helping a younger guy to be better at his craft and like I said, he’s doing a pretty good job now. But like I said, when I was a rookie, everything was flying around and Mark Brunell was really there to help me when I first got to the league, so I want to make sure that I can in turn return the favor to somebody. And that’s just me. I’m just going to be as much as I can a help to this team. And it’s not just him, it’s all these guys. I don’t think there’s too many 35 year-olds on the team, guys that have been in the league for 12 years. I know there are a few guys with that kind of age, but they haven’t gone through all the different things that I’ve gone through. Any little bit of leadership you can add to a locker room is great.

On Geno Smith…

Looking at the last game, which is fresh in my mind, he played outstanding. Early on you’re going to have some rookie things you have to get over, but to be able to bring the team back in games that he has is outstanding. First game, I mean, however it happens, to be able to drive a team down the field is great, especially as a rookie. So many things going on that you have to know and understand. I think he’s been handling himself well and anything I can do, I’ve told him that, ‘Just look at me as somebody you can bounce things off of, you can ask. Don’t ever be afraid to just ask a question because there’s things that are going on that you may feel a little uncomfortable to ask somebody because you don’t want to feel like you don’t have all the answers, but with me just ask. Because I’ve played a little longer than you have, so I’m here to be as much of an influence as I can.’

Jets bring back David Garrard on a trial basis

BFHk32WCIAI5lnG-614x493.jpg

David Garrard was going through the mundane chore of packing some things for his trip to New Jersey to rejoin the Jets when he came across one shirt that he wanted to pack.

It was a black T-shirt and in green lettering it read: “Some Things Just Don’t Retire.”

It was a shirt likely made for someone north of 65 years old but for Garrard, it was fitting. That the lettering was in Jets green made it the perfect shirt to wear as he walked around the locker room, back with the Jets for the second time this year.

The Jets signed Garrard on Thursday, a player who retired from the NFL as a member of the Jets after he signed with the team on March 11. Now, he’s back, but not to compete with rookie quarterback Geno Smith for the starting job.

“Geno has the job. If my number is ever called, I need to be ready for that. It’s my job to help these guys and Matt Simms and just be as much of a leader as I can in the locker room and as much of a leader and a mentor as I can in the quarterback room,” Garrard said. “I was a rookie once and I know how it is. Everything is flying around and you’ve got guys who are looking for you to be the leader. You’re still trying to figure things out yourself.”

RELATED ARTICLES

Plagued throughout the tail end of his career by knee injuries that cut short a previous comeback attempt with the Dolphins, Garrard hasn’t thrown a pass in a regular season game since he was the starter with the Jaguars in 2010.

“He has a commanding presence in the huddle and he throws the ball extremely well,” head coach Rex Ryan said.

The Jets lost Mark Sanchez for the season after he had shoulder surgery on Tuesday. A day after the Jets essentially ended their relationship with Sanchez, they might be doing the same thing to another quarterback on their roster. Bringing in Garrard and his battered knees, even if only for a test run, isn’t a good sign for Brady Quinn.

The Jets have until Oct. 21 at 4 p.m. to make a decision on whether to keep Garrard.

“We’ll see exactly where he is,” Ryan said. “There haven’t been any guarantees or promises made.”

Garrard had reached out to general manager John Idzik about the possibility of a return on Sunday after he watched a couple NFL games and still felt the desire to play. He knew the Jets still owned his

rights and he wanted to give him the first opportunity before the information was reported by the media.

“I started to get some pretty good feedback from when I was talking to him and I just told him that, ‘Hey, if there’s anything I can do to help you guys out in any kind of way.’ I know my veteran leadership in the meeting room and on the practice field can really help Geno continue to grow,” Garrard said. “He’s been doing a great job. If there’s anything I can do, I’d love to be able come back and help you guys.”

Jets notes …

» A hamstring injury continues to keep rookie cornerback Dee Milliner off the practice field, making him unlikely for Sunday’s game against the Steelers.

“[He] did not do any team drills at all today,” Ryan said of his first-round pick. “We’ll see.”

» Like Milliner, wide receiver Santonio Holmes is not looking like a player ready to hit the field. Holmes was hurt two weeks ago in the loss at the Titans when he left with a hamstring injury in the second half and did not return to the game. He hasn’t played or practiced since. Ryan wouldn’t rule out Holmes but said, “I don’t know if you want to say it doesn’t look good.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/2013/10/10/jets-bring-back-david-garrard-on-a-trial-basis/#sthash.jeFPLwKH.dpuf

Archived