Signs point to Rex Ryan's return

Maxman

You aren't paying attention. I said the Jets are a team that has made let-down games part of it's culture. Teams that have multiple SB, especially recent ones, don't really get identified by let-down games. They get identified by winning. The Jets embody let-down... it's like a timeless tradition for us. 

Did you watch the Pats-Jets game earlier this season?

That wasn't a let down game for the Pats only because they won. Its was possibly their worst offensive output in a decade. And the only reason they won was because they were playing against a rookie QB making his second ever NFL start.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan's defense prowess nowadays is more based on the fact he's got great personnel. Dunbar is a great dline coach, but we've invested a ton into that group.

The crazy blitz packages arent fooling teams anymore. Especially QB's that have seen it before. I dont have an issue with the Jets keeping Rex around for continuity purposes and that the guys enjoy playing for him....but the notion the defense would go into the tank if he were to leave isnt true imo. There are too many good players on the front 7.

2009 we took the league by surprise because Rex's defense was fresh. Its becoming more and more stale scheme wise- we just have better players now.

That wasn't a let down game for the Pats only because they won. Its was possibly their worst offensive output in a decade. And the only reason they won was because they were playing against a rookie QB making his second ever NFL start.

Winning pretty much excuses a let down. What is Rex's excuse?

Ryan's defense prowess nowadays is more based on the fact he's got great personnel. Dunbar is a great dline coach, but we've invested a ton into that group.

The crazy blitz packages arent fooling teams anymore. Especially QB's that have seen it before. I dont have an issue with the Jets keeping Rex around for continuity purposes and that the guys enjoy playing for him....but the notion the defense would go into the tank if he were to leave isnt true imo. There are too many good players on the front 7.

2009 we took the league by surprise because Rex's defense was fresh. Its becoming more and more stale scheme wise- we just have better players now.

The question begs then, what do we need Rex Ryan for?

Yeah, they won. Exactly my point - the Patriots WON - they don't have a lot of let-down games, and aren't identified by anything other than winning. They win the games they are supposed to, lucky or not.

When the Pats get upset, they get upset and they move on to win more games. Upsets don't define their seasons. 

The Jets will win just enough to stir hope, then they'll play a scrub, with the division up for grabs and they lose in epic fashion. Let-down game. We have 1-3 of these per year.

You are arguing because the truth hurts, it's understandable, but there's nothing you are saying that proves me wrong. It's reality dude. You deserve the facepalm. 

I dream of the day when Brady retires and/or Bellichek leaves our division.  Until then, we're basically competing for a wildcard every year

What sucks about this theory is it was dan marino, jim kelly, etc before that.  And hell Jim Harbaugh almost led the colts to a SB, Drew Bledsoe took the Patriots to a SB, Tony Eason did years ago, and so on.   I bet fans of the Texans and Jags were so excited for when Manning retired or left.  Except now there is Luck for the next who knows how many years.  Same with Montana years ago.    

And I'm tired of hearing the same crap.  We heard it years ago about the Patriots decline.  They haven't won a SB in almost a decade, but it's done nothing for the Jets. 

The problem with this mentality is it's always hoping another team starts to suck, it's never about the Jets becoming great.  And most of the time those other teams don't go and suck for years.    They find ways to win over and over.    Every team has it's ups and downs, but there are a few franchises who seem to rebuild quickly and never suffer years without winning.  

The Jets aren't the Browns or Jags, but they are the perennial 8-8 team who gets lucky now and again and over achieves and makes a run.  They never seem to actual build winning teams for the long haul.  I mean how many new coaches, QBs, players, systems, etc have we had in the past decade?   It always seems to be one of those "rebuild" every few years instead of winning.

You can say that about every coach in the league for the most part. The guys do generally play hard for Rex. I didn't think effort was the issue yesterday, just a fog.

That is how it is with "players' coaches. There is a short shelf life on them, as the schtick gets old. That is where Rex is today.

That is how it is with "players' coaches. There is a short shelf life on them, as the schtick gets old. That is where Rex is today.

There is a short shelf life on bad coaches. Rex isnt a bad coach. He's already been here longer than most NFL coaches last.

Greg Schiano is a hard ass and a bad coach.

There is a short shelf life on bad coaches. Rex isnt a bad coach. He's already been here longer than most NFL coaches last.

Greg Schiano is a hard ass and a bad coach.

You said it yourself-Rex's defensive prowess is based on the fact that he has some very good personnel.

What exactly does Rex provide this team then?

You said it yourself-Rex's defensive prowess is based on the fact that he has some very good personnel.

What exactly does Rex provide this team then?

He's creates an environment where players are excited to go to work every day. As crazy as it sounds- its rare in today's NFL. I think Rex has to become more innovative defensively if he expects to stick around though. The defense just looks bland with hardly any creativity. Losing Revis hurt Rex big time. 

The team does seem to be a close knit group though. These guys have eachothers back. There's no anonymous quotes this year(yet). The team seems to like Geno. This isnt a lazy team.

Rex is good at being the underdog.  His teams seem to thrive on that aspect.  They seem to get up for certain games.  They overachieve at times.

But he isn't Coughlin and the Giants who seem to 'turn it on' and win two super bowls.     And Coughlin isn't all that liked most of the time.    Rex needs to be loved by his players.   It's a great place to play at times, but when you don't win, none of that matters.    

The problem Rex and the Jets have is they suck when it matters.   A few years back,  they had a chance to knock the Pats down and be "the team" and they got beat down bad.   Of course a month later they play a great game and beat that same Pats team in the playoffs.  But it became the same "nobody believes in us" mentality and that only works for so long.  It might work for a season, but other than that, it falters.  Look at the Giants.  They've had two great seasons and other than that, they kind of underachieve year in and year out.   The Jets had two great playoff runs and then were outclassed by Manning and didn't bother to show up against the Steelers.   

For whatever reason, Rex's teams will have one of those great games followed by not showing up games.   It's like they don't realize there is more to the season than just one game or something.   Like I said, it was like that Patriots playoff game was their super bowl.   It was like that Falcons game was their super bowl.   For whatever reason this team never seems to get it's not about just one game.

He's creates an environment where players are excited to go to work every day. As crazy as it sounds- its rare in today's NFL. I think Rex has to become more innovative defensively if he expects to stick around though. The defense just looks bland with hardly any creativity. Losing Revis hurt Rex big time. 

The team does seem to be a close knit group though. These guys have eachothers back. There's no anonymous quotes this year(yet). The team seems to like Geno. This isnt a lazy team.

Yet, we have win one game, lose one game cha cha cha going. Which tell you that the environment is not so enthusiastic, is more so inconsistent.

Yet, we have win one game, lose one game cha cha cha going. Which tell you that the environment is not so enthusiastic, is more so inconsistent.

It tells me we have a rookie QB and underwhelming skill position guys. 

I agree Rex buys into the underdog stuff way too much. But that's something that's always plagued this franchise. We arent a good frontrunner at all and never have been. Doesnt help the new Stadium sucks and seems like an energy drainer. But that's on the owner.

Meh. The last two years the locker room fell apart. The team is "together" this year because they've followed losses with wins against weak sisters. They're not going to have that over the next month.

Meh. The last two years the locker room fell apart. The team is "together" this year because they've followed losses with wins against weak sisters. They're not going to have that over the next month.

Rex has had his hand in it too, no doubt. The Holmes contract being one. The Sporano hire was embarrassing and the biggest cause of the locker room falling apart imo. 

I think that stuff has been corrected though this year. 

Rex has had his hand in it too, no doubt. The Holmes contract being one. The Sporano hire was embarrassing and the biggest cause of the locker room falling apart imo.

I think that stuff has been corrected though this year.

What's also helped this year is that Rex hasn't had to be the one to pull the trigger on Holmes and Sanchez, which allows him to hide the fact that he's gutless as a leader. Sanchez's locker is already cleaned out and Dr. Holmes has decided he's only going to play when he feels like it. The past two years, Rex has been the one enabling the two of them in destroying his team. Now that they're not there, Rex gets to sit back, shrug, and say, "welp, rookie quarterback."

Yeah, they won. Exactly my point - the Patriots WON - they don't have a lot of let-down games, and aren't identified by anything other than winning. They win the games they are supposed to, lucky or not.

When the Pats get upset, they get upset and they move on to win more games. Upsets don't define their seasons. 

The Jets will win just enough to stir hope, then they'll play a scrub, with the division up for grabs and they lose in epic fashion. Let-down game. We have 1-3 of these per year.

You are arguing because the truth hurts, it's understandable, but there's nothing you are saying that proves me wrong. It's reality dude. You deserve the facepalm. 

No. I'm not that upset at yesterday's loss. I was expecting it, actually. So there's no real "hurt" on my end, pal. The Jets are still what I believed they were at the beginning of the season - a young, rebuilding team with a rookie QB. 

Dick LeBeau is like 50-2 against rookie QBs as the Steelers DC, the Steelers are not nearly as bad a team as some were beginning to think they were, they were coming off a bye and had two weeks to prepare and the Jets were coming off a short week after an emotional win and are a very young team. 

I just don't buy into your ridiculous concept that the Jets have some inherent characteristic that makes them more susceptible to this type of letdown than any other team. 

EVERY team has one or two games per year where they come out flat. Sometimes they get lucky and their opponents are flat too and they eek out a win. It's happened to the Jets. I remember a 6-3 Jets win over the Steelers in the snow a few years back that perfectly fits that description. 

Hell. that's how you could accurately describe just about every Jets-Pats game from about 1987 to 1994. Its was a rivalry marked by ugly football. It certainly describes the Jets-Pats game from earlier this year. Both teams came out flat and the Pats eeked out an unimpressive victory. 

If you watch the Red Zone on Sundays you'll notice that every week there are games where you would expect one team to dominate the other but they struggle to score and the other team also can't seem to put it together. 

It's insanely narcissistic to believe this only happens to your team.

I dunno. A lot of these newer players are young guys plus guys like Mangold and Colon. If the leaders in the room really foster that "we're brothers" mentality the locker room might not collapse (although I think some of that has been exaggerated).

actually it tells me there's a lack of talent/healthy players (particularly on the offensive side of the ball, also in the secondary). you can be excited about your job and still not be very good at it.

I dunno. A lot of these newer players are young guys plus guys like Mangold and Colon. If the leaders in the room really foster that "we're brothers" mentality the locker room might not collapse (although I think some of that has been exaggerated).

Mangold isn't a leader, though everyone likes to pretend he is because he's big and white and from the country. Colon is on a one-year deal. If the losses start to pile up, guys like Holmes and Cro, who are fighting for their next paychecks, will blow the room up. Rex provides no leadership. Hell, he needed Henry Ellard and Wayne Hunter to corral Holmes when he flipped out vs. Miami, then fired Ellard and dumped Hunter.

Forced marriages are usualy teh worst marriages. That is what Idzik got with Ryan.

Not sure the length of Idziks contract, but I feel positive Ryan does not have a long leash. As Jerry Glanville reminds us "NFL stands for Not for Long", and Idzik will make moves to improve his team

If Rex gets an extension, this is not a forced marriage.  That means that Idzik proposed after dating Rex for awhile.

He is a good coach.  He needs to be better for the Jets to win it all.  But there is enough good in him that he deserves an extension.

If Rex gets an extension, this is not a forced marriage. That means that Idzik proposed after dating Rex for awhile.

He is a good coach. He needs to be better for the Jets to win it all. But there is enough good in him that he deserves an extension.

Were you in a coma for the last two years?

Mangold isn't a leader, though everyone likes to pretend he is because he's big and white and from the country. Colon is on a one-year deal. If the losses start to pile up, guys like Holmes and Cro, who are fighting for their next paychecks, will blow the room up. Rex provides no leadership. Hell, he needed Henry Ellard and Wayne Hunter to corral Holmes when he flipped out vs. Miami, then fired Ellard and dumped Hunter.

The Jets dumped Hunter and that was a bad move, why?

Lots of teams do it, but the Jets have made doing it part of their culture. Can you think of a single season where we haven't had one or two of these games? I can't.

Brady behind center. Refs in the pockets.

late to the party on this, but yes. there's at least one every year and my dad and I call them "The December Game." they don't always happen in December, but the most memorable ones are always in December, are always games you expect the Jets to win and they inexplicably get crushed, and they either drastically complicate or destroy the Jets chances of getting into the postseason.

last year it was the Titans, the year before that Philadelphia, 2010 was a double shot - first the MNF debacle with the Pats followed by the even bigger let down against Miami - and so on.

Archived