Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, Revis is essentially on a year-to-year deal that pays him $16 mil to be on the roster on opening day. No guarantees. If the Bucs cut him, he's a UFA.

It may be essentially year to year, but it is not actually year to year.

He'd still have to clear waivers in order to start negotiating with him on a new contract rather than the Tampa one.

Revis would carry a lot of risk in fielding offers if Tampa is willing to re-sign him for $16M again.  They could say if he starts to negotiate with other teams then they're rescinding their offer and his next-best offer could (and probably would) be for millions less.  Not worth the risk so he'd just play ball and re-sign with them if they dangled another $16M season.

He'd still have to clear waivers in order to start negotiating with him on a new contract rather than the Tampa one.

Revis would carry a lot of risk in fielding offers if Tampa is willing to re-sign him for $16M again.  They could say if he starts to negotiate with other teams then they're rescinding their offer and his next-best offer could (and probably would) be for millions less.  Not worth the risk so he'd just play ball and re-sign with them if they dangled another $16M season.

I don't think Revis would be subject to Waivers UNLESS  he is cut after the trading deadline and before the end of the year.

For what it's worth, I believe the new offer being passed around twitter is Kyle Wilson + 3rd rounder. I'd probably sign up for that, but since it's completely fake, I won't even mention it further. Although I like getting news quickly, the complete lack of journalistic integrity and the fact that any dumbass with the internet can do this is absurd. 

Edit: I just looked this kid up. So we're to believe a sophomore undergrad at Bergen community has all these sources that appear to escape the NFL big hitters.  Nice. Seems like his stories and sources are properly vetted. I'm gonna totally get behind this.

Revis would carry a lot of risk in fielding offers if Tampa is willing to re-sign him for $16M again. They could say if he starts to negotiate with other teams then they're rescinding their offer and his next-best offer could (and probably would) be for millions less. Not worth the risk so he'd just play ball and re-sign with them if they dangled another $16M season.

Nerd.

According to some inside sources, Kyle Wilson is actually rated as the #1 slot corner in the league.  His involvement in a potential trade might have wings from a value perspective.  I also thought the notion of offering Coples as the "player" was an interesting idea, though his presence in our defense has been a large part of the reason other players are having success on our DL.  Regardless, if we were to trade out Coples (and a pick) for Josh Gordon, I wouldn't shed any tears. 

Heist

It really would be as it would be for our 3rd and a guy who's probably going to walk anyways, which is another reason I don't believe it's going to happen. With how closed-lipped the FO has been this year and coupled to the fact that this kid is actually a kid in undergrad, I don't buy it for one second. Just looking some of his old stories and mocks up, he poaches half of them from other sites and changes a few things. Only way this works is if his Father or Uncle works for the Jets somehow.

It really would be as it would be for our 3rd and a guy who's probably going to walk anyways, which is another reason I don't believe it's going to happen. With how closed-lipped the FO has been this year and coupled to the fact that this kid is actually a kid in undergrad, I don't buy it for one second. Just looking some of his old stories and mocks up, he poaches half of them from other sites and changes a few things. Only way this works is if his Father or Uncle works for the Jets somehow.

You can say you're anything via twitter. Sideshow Bob has a ton of people buying his schtick now.

Idzik shouldn't make any decision that counts on getting Tampa's third round pick. They could talk to him about cutting him for a couple days, then bringing him back to keep the higher pick. There's no cap hit, and very little risk that some else would swoop in at the $16M mark.

#Idzikbaum

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after I posted it.

Browns fan here... I've watched every snap of Gordon, most on coaches film, and I can tell you that at least football wise, the guy is easily worth a top 10 overall pick. His hands are not outstanding (not bad overall) and he's not one of those guys that goes up and takes the ball away from 3 defenders like Calvin Johnson. But outside of that, he is Calvin Johnson. He's one of those rare guys that looks like he's moving 3/4 speed all the time, but he's cruising past fast corners. He gets tons of room on slants because they are scared to death of him. He restructures the defense. The QB play in Cleveland has been as bad as anywhere in the league the entire time he's been here, that's the only reason he isn't putting up insane numbers. Folks thinking this gets done with a couple 3rd's or a second-- the ONLY way that happens is if the Browns already believe he's headed for a year off.  Just with the between the lines stuff, and considering he's already developed nicely out of his rookie year and has all of his rookie (2nd round) contract left, easily worth a top 10. Figure the purple drank discount from that, but figure in that he seems to be a good locker room and press guy which is fairly rare for a real #1WR.

Just chiming in so you guys don't hang yourself if you end up giving a first. I think whatever WR you would draft with that next year would have less potential and just as much risk. 

--and just so you don't think I'm a Cleveland guy overvaluing our own talent, I would have taken a 3rd or even 4th for Trent Richardson, who is physically talented but simply has no understanding of what NFL holes are. 

My eyes do not melt hot women with just a sideways glance.  I do not have washboard abs.  I cannot crack walnuts on my ass.  Other than that, I am Gerard Butler.  Or, am I George Clooney?  I forget.

Truth. Sucky CB always make Pro Bowl safeties. Don't they?

Ah ha! But Milliner is 6' plus, around 205 lbs and physical. I think he'll make the transition if it comes down to it, but that's a long way off. It's not like a Mo Claiborne situation where they drafted a smaller corner who just sucks.

Ah ha! But Milliner is 6' plus, around 205 lbs and physical. I think he'll make the transition if it comes down to it, but that's a long way off. It's not like a Mo Claiborne situation where they drafted a smaller corner who just sucks.

Damn did not know he was that big.  Be nice if he was a player.

Guy had 5 surgeries in college as a CB, and has been hurt his whole time with the Jets, and you want to make him a safety?  

Yep that should work.

I don't think Revis would be subject to Waivers UNLESS  he is cut after the trading deadline and before the end of the year.

You may be right.  But it doesn't matter because no one's picking him up at $16M per (except maybe Tampa again, and even that's only because they gave up the picks for him).  And it also doesn't change that if Revis has a handshake deal to re-sign after 24 hours he'll do it.  If he pisses TB off by negotiating with others, they may rescind the offer and now his top offer will be $3-6M less.

It's a safe bet for Tampa to get him re-signed a day later.  Worst case scenario they don't re-sign a $16M cornerback because someone else swoops in to grab him.

In other words, I'm not banking on that pick being a 3rd until it's a done deal.

The condition that determines whether Tampa gives up a 3 or a 4 shouldn't've been something as easy for Tampa to manipulate as him being on the roster one specific day. Tampa gave him a contract that makes it very easy to do.

#vilmapartdeux

You've got to be out of your mind to let Revis be a FA even for one day.

Claiborne is sorta having the same problem Revis is. He is a man to man corner playing in mostly zone coverage. He looked great in Rob Ryan's defense. And actually Milliner may be better playing in zone than man. Time will tell I guess.

Archived