Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im still liking a proven NFL WR vs a questionable draft pick WR. Jordan White,Scotty McKnight types aren't gonna do it for us.

Yes, it would definitely be preferable to add a proven, quality veteran WR and not just count on a rookie draft pick(s), but getting a young WR or two in the draft to grow with Geno will be good too.  

Definitely agree with you on this, and you can add both DeVito and Slauson onto the list of guys the Jets could be getting comp picks for as well.  The Jets will probably make an effort to retain all 3 of those guys this coming offseason, considering none of them will likely cost a significant amount anyway and the Jets certainly have the money to spend.  Plus, even if one of them did leave, like you said the compensation for any of these guys isn't at the level that would make it worthwhile to bypass the signing of an UFA for it.  This past offseason was obviously a completely different situation than normal, with some high potential in the picks that could be gotten and the Jets having very little money to play with to begin with (and clearly saving some of what they did have for the upcoming hit of the Revis trade).  If the Jets were simply going to be signing low-dollar vets on one-year deals anyway, then it made sense for them to approach it the way they did.  No reason to think this is how the Jets will proceed with business on a year-to-year basis.

DeVito was that 4th guy I couldn't remember.  

DeVito was that 4th guy I couldn't remember.  

Yeah, the Jets should definitely get a comp pick for him.  I think there's a decent chance they get something for Slauson too though, although nothing more than a 7th.  His contract was over the vet minimum and it seems in recent years there haven't been enough qualifying deals to take up all of the comp picks and they're usually just handing out the extras to the worst teams at the end of the 7th, so his low-end deal should still be enough to get the Jets a pick.  Now granted, I'm not sure if there were any cheap UFA signings by the Jets that I'm not remembering, in which case that would easily be gone.

Okay, so his mother and Bleedin never forget Devito.

Wait, would that make you his mother?

I don't know how anyone could forget him, he was just so damn gritty!  A real lunch-pail type player.

I was on my way out and didn't feel like devoting the extra 30 seconds to one of my usual, unnecessarily long posts.

I get paid by the word.

Lucky for you, I'm always ready and willing to step up to the challenge.

Yeah, the Jets should definitely get a comp pick for him.  I think there's a decent chance they get something for Slauson too though, although nothing more than a 7th.  His contract was over the vet minimum and it seems in recent years there haven't been enough qualifying deals to take up all of the comp picks and they're usually just handing out the extras to the worst teams at the end of the 7th, so his low-end deal should still be enough to get the Jets a pick.  Now granted, I'm not sure if there were any cheap UFA signings by the Jets that I'm not remembering, in which case that would easily be gone.

Wait, would that make you his mother?

I don't know how anyone could forget him, he was just so damn gritty!  A real lunch-pail type player.

Lucky for you, I'm always ready and willing to step up to the challenge.

Maybe you should call your sponsor before you have a relapse 

We can debate the merits of the trade and the quality all we want, but the fact is - Idzik will make the decision and at this point, I trust whatever call he makes. His track record is better than I expected.

I'm still not sold on his one trade, and he missed Goodson's eventual trouble, so I'm not entirely sure I'd trust a trade for a guy who's one slip-up away from a year off just because Idzik made the call. Ultimately, I think he'll balk if there's any truth to this rumor at all.

Josh Gordon can f*cking ball.  If its a 3rd, what's not to like?  We're planning on using our picks to get receivers anyways.  We'd be giving one of the best deep ball throwers in the league (statistically, at the moment) a deep threat.  I'm Pavlov's Dog thinking about it right now.

wilson and a 3rd??? not bad i think

Make the trade for Gordon, then draft Eric Ebron, TE frim UNC in first. I am assuming he enters as a junior.

There's no need to take a TE in the first round.  That isn't good value.  Ebron's good, but I'm not even sure he'll be a first rounder, and he certainly isn't better than the top WRs.

There's no need to take a TE in the first round.  That isn't good value.  Ebron's good, but I'm not even sure he'll be a first rounder, and he certainly isn't better than the top WRs.

With the way the NFL's rules have been heading, taking a TE in the first round is definitely worth the value. The fact that you can barely sneeze on a receiver, makes having someone who's 6'4 250 lbs with that type of athleticism almost unfair: Ebron is the closest thing to Jimmy Graham that we've seen in a couple years and he, Amare and ASJ are going to join the ranks of elite TEs.  These guys can abuse just about anyone you put on them and the fact that a TE is often a QB's best friend makes them well worth the value.  

Thirty two scouts and five GM's at his last game. He went for 200. He's going in the first round. And God, I hope he's going to us.

Archived