Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally. We would hopefully be drafting at 20 or lower. We're on the way to drafting 20 as it is. We'd keep our first and still have Tampa's high third, plus our own. The difference between Tampa's third and our second might be ten or twelve spots.

Its probably why Idzik is pushing for a trade. We need a #1 WR and the way its going we won't be in position to draft someone like Lee unless we trade up... which I doubt.

Prefer this isn't a high pick for him, though that's pretty vague.  A "high" pick isn't necessarily a first (or they'd likely call it a 1st).  But it probably means it isn't a 3rd rounder as I think most call that a mid-round pick.

If it's a 3rd, I'm all for it (we should have 2 of them anyway, and Gordon can step right in with no 2-3 year break-in period). A 2nd is hard to say given his history.  If not for his being a complete jackass and 1 offense away from a 4+ game suspension, talent-wise he's probably worth a 2nd.

Give them our 3rd round pick, keep Tampa's 3rd rounder and sign me happy.

Totally. We would hopefully be drafting at 20 or lower. We're on the way to drafting 20 as it is. We'd keep our first and still have Tampa's high third, plus our own. The difference between Tampa's third and our second might be ten or twelve spots.

Hate to give up a 2nd but this kid is having a good year.  And Tampa's 3 is not going to be that far from our 2 like you said.

Idzik shouldn't make any decision that counts on getting Tampa's third round pick. They could talk to him about cutting him for a couple days, then bringing him back to keep the higher pick. There's no cap hit, and very little risk that some else would swoop in at the $16M mark.

#Idzikbaum

I haven't really followed the NFL other than the Jets the last two seasons, so I don't know too much about him outside of his stats. If he's a legit #1 and is going to be under contract then absolutely I'd trade for him. As long as it's a move that will benefit us long terms and isn't a quick upgrade for this season based on being 4-3.

Idzik shouldn't make any decision that counts on getting Tampa's third round pick. They could talk to him about cutting him for a couple days, then bringing him back to keep the higher pick. There's no cap hit, and very little risk that some else would swoop in at the $16M mark.

#Idzikbaum

Yeah because Tampa is a paradise and Revis deals in good faith all the time.

Yeah because Tampa is a paradise and Revis deals in good faith all the time.

The condition that determines whether Tampa gives up a 3 or a 4 shouldn't've been something as easy for Tampa to manipulate as him being on the roster one specific day. Tampa gave him a contract that makes it very easy to do.

#vilmapartdeux

The condition that determines whether Tampa gives up a 3 or a 4 shouldn't've been something as easy for Tampa to manipulate as him being on the roster one specific day. Tampa gave him a contract that makes it very easy to do.

#vilmapartdeux

It's Idzik's world; we're just living in it. If Tampa cuts Revis, he'll flee and Tampa will have even more egg on their faces.

It's Idzik's world; we're just living in it. If Tampa cuts Revis, he'll flee and Tampa will have even more egg on their faces.

This.  The Bucs have enough problems, I don't think they add one more.  And if they do it?  Whatever, we still get an early 4th.  Anything is gravy after landing Sheldon Richardson anyways.

What information do you have that enables you to judge how close it is?

" Teams are approaching Cleveland, who is balking"

I don't need to insult you by explaining 'Teams' means more than one, 'approaching' implies that the Browns aren't shopping him, and that Cleveland 'balking' suggests that they aren't happy with the offers.

" Teams are approaching Cleveland, who is balking"

I don't need to insult you by explaining 'Teams' means more than one, 'approaching' implies that the Browns aren't shopping him, and that Cleveland 'balking' suggests that they aren't happy with the offers.

It doesn't imply the Browns aren't shopping him.  There were rumors that the Browns were looking to move him right after the Trent Richardson trade.  Whether they trade him or not probably comes down to which team offers up a 1st rounder.

It doesn't imply the Browns aren't shopping him. There were rumors that the Browns were looking to move him right after the Trent Richardson trade. Whether they trade him or not probably comes down to which team offers up a 1st rounder.

Right but absent some sort of verification, there is no reason to think that the Jets are close to landing him. They aren't even the only dog in the hunt.

This would be awesome if it happens. Sounds like Cleveland wants to wait until the last minute so they can get the best possible deal for him. Its hard to even be mad about giving up a 2nd for him because he is so young and talented. If he was in the draft this year he would be a top 10 pick, easy.

How's Geno Smith's pea-shooter of an arm looking these days, Mr. Scout?

I always maintained his arm strength was suffering from his bad mechanics(which it was). He's getting better every week. The deep balls he's been throwing have improved drastically.

Kid's got a ton of talent but he's roach clip residue away from a one year, no expenses paid, vacation. 

You can argue so was/is Holmes, but I think this kid can actually be much more foolhardy than The Tone.

That in itself is frightening and grounds to stay away.

Green Day: Deal or no deal?

October, 22, 2013

OCT 22

8:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The 4-3 New York Jets are a surprise contender with a couple of glaring holes. The trading deadline is next Tuesday. Should they be buyers?

I say it's OK to shop, but be careful. As much as they could use a quality wide receiver, it doesn't make sense to overpay for a quick fix.

Drawn from more than five decades of history, ESPN New York presents its 50 Greatest Jets. Top 50 Photo Gallery  Rank 'Em

The Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon is the biggest name on the trading block. Three teams have contacted the Browns, two of which have made offers of a high pick and a player, ESPN Insider Adam Schefter reported Monday night. Gordon is gifted, but risky because he already has served a two-game suspension for substance abuse. He's one strike away from a year suspension

Sure, Gordon's skill set would help the Jets, who have a productive receiver who is hurt (Santonio Holmes) and an unproductive receiver who's healthy (Stephen Hill). They also have a bargaining chip, knowing they will have two third-round picks in the 2014 draft (one from the Darrelle Revis trade). Even though you're not allowed to trade compensatory picks, the Jets know they probably will have a few of those in the bank in '14, which might make it easier to move other picks.

But I wouldn't expect general manager John Idzik to pull the trigger on any significant deals before the deadline. He's on a long-term plan, geared toward 2014, when there will be salary-cap room. He doesn't strike me as the kind of executive who will alter his plan on a whim.

What do you think? Should the Jets try to bolster their current roster with a significant move?

ICYMI: Day 1 of the PushGate fallout: Bill Belichick said he was wrong and Rex Ryan was mum, but the Jets did tip off officials during the game that the New England Patriots liked to use an illegal pushing technique, according to a source. ... Ryan is only 18-21 over the last two-plus seasons, but he said the Jets "fear nobody." ... Rookie quarterback Geno Smith usually is more than willing to dissect his mistakes, but there's one criticism of his game that he doesn't agree 

Kid's got a ton of talent but he's roach clip residue away from a one year, no expenses paid, vacation. 

You can argue so was/is Holmes, but I think this kid can actually be much more foolhardy than The Tone.

That in itself is frightening and grounds to stay away.

You're taking a chance with any rookie WR you draft also. You can get a sense of their personality and off field activities but the risk is always there. At least with Gordon you know he can play and know to keep an eye on him.

Plus its probably boring as sh*t in Cleveland...can you blame him for smoking weed? haha I know being in NY can work against someone like him tho.

#vilmapartdeux

That's a great theory if the player in question is not very marketable or has an intense sense of loyalty to the organization who looks to manipulate the system, however neither applies here.  Can you imagine the conversation?  Darrelle, we want to cut you so we can save 30 some odd spots with our mid round pick next year.  We still want you with the team, though.  Yeah, that will work.....not.

Archived