Nice article about Hackett

RSJ

I'm not saying that Dinger is not better but Hackett is a much much better OC than he was given credit for. He was the one coach that emphasised execution and discipline. This is kinda old but I found it while surfing around. And anyone who has ever posted as a defense to Herm that he made the playoffs 3 out 0f 4 years should remember that Hackett is now about to make it 4 out of 5. And he is not just a QB coach he also designs the gameplans along woth Gruden.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9048306

5. Paul Hackett, quarterbacks coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Coach Hackett was the fall guy in New York last season and was shown the door after the Jets lost a playoff game. He landed in Tampa coaching quarterbacks for Jon Gruden and sharing ideas about offense. The Bucs are running the ball better, they scored 36 points against a very good Washington defense last week, and clearly are in the playoff picture in the NFC.

Hackett worked with Carson Palmer at Southern California, he mentored Chad Pennington, and last week we saw what his coaching has done for Chris Simms, who notched 279 yards and three touchdowns on 15 of 29 passing. Simms wasn't sacked because his decision making is better, and when the running game broke down, the young QB took a leadership role and won the contest.

Hackett is an excellent teacher and he has an ability to know what a young QB can and cannot do on the field. Sometimes people don't want to share Hackett's opinion, but now it is clear Gruden is listening to Hackett.

I offer my official apology to Paul Hackett.

He is a master at hiding flaws, especially on old teams.

If I was the owner of an older, established team, trying for one more run at the superbowl, he'd be my guy.

Heimerdinger, however, needs to cut bait and start over.

Makes you wonder how much in the past what people considered his "bad playcalling" was Hackett trying to cover up for some other deficiency.

Hey Jared, great to see you posting here.

I completely agree with your post. Hackett, hid the weaknesses well.

Allow me to reiterate though, altough he wasn't "per se'" the problem, he also was not the solution.

He was what he was, a stop-gap offensive coordinator.

He'll get blood out of a stone, on an established team,

...but please keep him away from my new offense.

Hackett is perfect as a developer of Quarterbacks.

As an OC, he is flawed. He has trouble putting a thread of plays together, and most damning, was his indecision in getting plays in on time. Much of teh clock management issues early in teh Edwards regime were on the play calling, and the lack thereof in getting it into the offense.

Again, the guy can develop a qb and get them to think about the game in teh correct manner. There is something to be said for that

Hackett was terrible as a offensive coordinator and that is not what he is doing at Tampa Bay

We need playmakers on offense that teams are afraid of and cause match up problems-right now we have none beside having a big question mark at QB and offensive line

Hackett's playcalling was actually not THAT bad. Under him I can remember the Jets often starting the game with long systematic drives. The Jets have not had a long systematic drive all season. Overall he is what he is. He is not very flexible and believes in his system. The Jets did not add any personel that fit his system while he was in NY. Never did they go out and try to get him a good pass catching TE or a dominant possesion WR or even a great 3rd down RB. Meanwhile on the other side of the ball they got Herm & Co. everything two or 3 times and it still hasn't worked. Tampa may not be ranked that high on offense but they are improved over last season and the work he has done with Simms is nothing short of amazing.

Hackett's playcalling was actually not THAT bad. Under him I can remember the Jets often starting the game with long systematic drives. The Jets have not had a long systematic drive all season. Overall he is what he is. He is not very flexible and believes in his system. The Jets did not add any personel that fit his system while he was in NY. Never did they go out and try to get him a good pass catching TE or a dominant possesion WR or even a great 3rd down RB. Meanwhile on the other side of the ball they got Herm & Co. everything two or 3 times and it still hasn't worked. Tampa may not be ranked that high on offense but they are improved over last season and the work he has done with Simms is nothing short of amazing.

RSJ-You are right-When he worked off his original SCRIPT, he was decent. He actually had a plan then.

It was whenthe script was finished, when he needed to make adjustments was his downfall.

RSJ-You are right-When he worked off his original SCRIPT, he was decent. He actually had a plan then.

It was whenthe script was finished, when he needed to make adjustments was his downfall.

Hackett was awful late in the game when you needed plays in there in a hurry. He also was way too conservative when it mattered(and whether that was marching orders from the HC, who knows?). And whether it was him or Edwards, they didn't call 2 plays on play stoppages with the clock running down; they still don't. It's as if they don't and never have trusted the QB to run plays without having to get it in his headset and waste 45 seconds. Doesn't happen in Tampa because Gruden is largely calling the plays. For the entire tenure of Edwards, In 25 years of watching I have never seen a more poorly run 2-minute offense; stupidity bordering on incompetence.

Hackette is a good teacher, but as a coach he is the worst of the worst. Everywhere he has been he had been hated. He destroyed the great USC program to the point where alumni threatened to have the Athletic director removed if he were not fired. Chiefs fans hate his guts and blame him for not making a super bowl appearance in the 90's. He did nothing at Pittsburgh and he is the only coach Tom Landry ever fired. THat says a lot.

He even ruined Carson palmer for 3 years until Pete Carroll took over and turned him into a #1 overall pick with norm chow.

Hackette is a loser. But he can teach a QB how to properly take a 7 step drop. BFD.

Hackett suck as a OC. Bad playcalling and he was not creative. A lot plays could of put in with Jordan & Martin in at the same time, S Moss on screens, etc. He did not use the tools he had.

Hackett suck as a OC. Bad playcalling and he was not creative. A lot plays could of put in with Jordan & Martin in at the same time, S Moss on screens, etc. He did not use the tools he had.

Are you joking? Two rb's in the backfield at the same time has never worked. And S Moss on screens was common place under hackett.

Hackett was probably the worst 3rd down play caller in the NFL.

And how great of a QB coach can he be, if after his time with the Jets, Pennington doesnt even have proper mechanics? So much great work with Pennington, but Pennington doesnt even have basic mechanics to know how to step into his throws?

Hackett was probably the worst 3rd down play caller in the NFL.

And how great of a QB coach can he be, if after his time with the Jets, Pennington doesnt even have proper mechanics? So much great work with Pennington, but Pennington doesnt even have basic mechanics to know how to step into his throws?

are you joking?

Hackett was awful late in the game when you needed plays in there in a hurry. He also was way too conservative when it mattered(and whether that was marching orders from the HC, who knows?). And whether it was him or Edwards, they didn't call 2 plays on play stoppages with the clock running down; they still don't. It's as if they don't and never have trusted the QB to run plays without having to get it in his headset and waste 45 seconds. Doesn't happen in Tampa because Gruden is largely calling the plays. For the entire tenure of Edwards, In 25 years of watching I have never seen a more poorly run 2-minute offense; stupidity bordering on incompetence.

That continues to this day. Didn't Herm burn another one of our timeouts Monday night after NE converted a 4th-down? There's no thought to "who do we insert if our opponent gets a first down?" Same on offense.

BB does with NE. After the first down, they lined up right away without a huddle knowing Herm would be unprepared with a play (or proper personnel ready to jump in) & have to burn a TO (which is exactly what happened). Have we done that even one time in 5 years? It didn't make a difference in the game this time, but Herm will not learn from it all the same & eventually it will. Opposing coaches must giggle to each other when they say, "OK, how do we figure out what Herm's Jets are going to throw at us?"

Are you joking? Two rb's in the backfield at the same time has never worked. And S Moss on screens was common place under hackett.

I didn't say in the backfield, I would of use one at times in the slot, both could catch, could of been creative and effective in the passing game. When does this team run a effective screen pass where we get some blockers out there? Hackett ran a very plain O. Except for maybe Jordan throwing the ball.

I didn't say in the backfield, I would of use one at times in the slot, both could catch, could of been creative and effective in the passing game. When does this team run a effective screen pass where we get some blockers out there? Hackett ran a very plain O. Except for maybe Jordan throwing the ball.

Hackett ran an offense that used similar sets with minor variations. This is not bland and it is difficult to gameplan against.

It wasn't really sets or playcalling he kept his formations the same but made minor variation that were tough for defenses to pick up. The million dollar question is who was calling those runs at the end of the pitt game? I'm not 100% sure it was 100% Hackett.

That continues to this day. Didn't Herm burn another one of our timeouts Monday night after NE converted a 4th-down? There's no thought to "who do we insert if our opponent gets a first down?" Same on offense.

BB does with NE. After the first down, they lined up right away without a huddle knowing Herm would be unprepared with a play (or proper personnel ready to jump in) & have to burn a TO (which is exactly what happened). Have we done that even one time in 5 years? It didn't make a difference in the game this time, but Herm will not learn from it all the same & eventually it will. Opposing coaches must giggle to each other when they say, "OK, how do we figure out what Herm's Jets are going to throw at us?"

When all of the Hermaphridtes tell us hwo he's young and learning, this kind of thing-where Bellichick steals his lunch again and again for 5 years-keeps cropping up. Like the Pats running a play on the spot in the first game this year when Bellichick and Brady where buzzed that a 1st down completion wasn't going to pass video review and ran a play in like 5 seconds. Somebody in the Pats' coach booth has that job and had some code or something knowing this sitaution could crop up-no discussion-they run a play. Edwards never does that(he has to consult with EVERYONE before a decision gets made) and gets caught napping every game. The Jets sideline after 5 years is still chaos-no clear line of command. On the rare occasions Edwards throws the red flag, he looks like he's scared he might offend or hurt someone's feelings by doing so.

hahahah, exactly, its 5 years for this idiot and he still cant think ahead,, he is literally the lowest IQ coach i have ever seen on an NFL field,,,

Herms a Turd

Archived