Jets | Confident in Nugent's future

Jetfan13

Jets | Confident in Nugent's future

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:28:40 -0800

Troy Nelson, of NewYorkJets.com, reports New York Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff is optimistic that rookie PK Mike Nugent will be highly productive in the near future. "He got better and better and he'll continue to get better," Westhoff said of the former Ohio State kicker. "He reminds me of Olindo Mare, a guy I signed in Miami. They're the same size, although Mike's field goal technique is a little better. Olindo got himself really, really stronger in the offseason, and I'd like to see that with Mike."

Noodle leg couldn't even get a touchback with a 40 MPH wind at his back on Monday.

Nice waste of a 2nd round draft pick. #-o

Tx, just once save your comments..and see if you can come up with a different adj. please...noodle has worn out its significance

Tx, just once save your comments..and see if you can come up with a different adj. please...noodle has worn out its significance

13, you don't like the facts?

The Jets have a QB who can not make NFL-type throws because of his weak arm and now they have a weak-legged kicker to boot.

I have to agree with TX to an extent. That was the 1st thing out of my mouth on Monday night as I watched the game with my wife. "Wow, he has a 40mph tailwind and still can't get the ball in the EZ"

It would be one thing if he was a regular kicker but he's not. Like it or not he's a 2nd round pick and he's not getting the job done that he was specifically brought in to do with a 2nd round pick.

Nugent has MUCH work to do in the offseason.

13, you don't like the facts?

The Jets have a QB who can not make NFL-type throws because of his weak arm and now they have a weak-legged kicker to boot.

thats BS Tx, the guy is a rookie with plenty of leg...yes hes struggling at KO depth, but again, hes a rookie..I will give him this year..he has progressed nicely towards the end of the year and is gonna be a thorn in the AFC East for years to come..

easy for you to trash any kicker with your boy AV doing a great job, but he is one year older too and his leg will be showing the strain soon enough..and if you want to use the noodle adj. again, use it to describe Bruschi...he got a friggin noodle brain for risking everything to play a game..and hes out again..MORON

thats BS Tx, the guy is a rookie with plenty of leg...yes hes struggling at KO depth, but again, hes a rookie..I will give him this year..he has progressed nicely towards the end of the year and is gonna be a thorn in the AFC East for years to come..

easy for you to trash any kicker with your boy AV doing a great job, but he is one year older too and his leg will be showing the strain soon enough..and if you want to use the noodle adj. again, use it to describe Bruschi...he got a friggin noodle brain for risking everything to play a game..and hes out again..MORON

i agree he will be a fine FG kicker, its not like he just started doing kickoffs this year???

If he hasnt learned after 4 years at OSU then I dont hold out much hope for him as a Kickoff artist,,give Graham a try, he does warrant a learning curve as far as kickoffs...

And what should have Westhoff said? this kid is a bust and we wasted a pick on him. He sure as hell better improve in the offseason..

A bust? Are you frickin kidding me!

He has made a higher percentage of his field goals than Adam Vinatieri.

There's a fact for you, tx. Blow it out your a**hole sideways. :wink:

We're not 3-12 because Nugent stinks on kickoffs :roll:

We aren't going to compare Nugent with Vinatieri, are we?

Maybe if Nugent works oout over the summer, he can be as good as Doug Brien. Brien hit over 82% of his kicks in his last year in NY.

Nugent will be an okay kicker, but he will never be worth the position he was selected in the draft.

Maybe if Nugent works oout over the summer, he can be as good as Doug Brien. Brien hit over 82% of his kicks in his last year in NY.

Nugent will be an okay kicker, but he will never be worth the position he was selected in the draft.[/quote]

thats what they said about Ray Guy and we know how that turned out

Nugent will be an okay kicker, but he will never be worth the position he was selected in the draft.

That's it in a nutshell. =D>

How can you say this right now in Nugents career?

Nugent was as clutch of a kicker in college as there ever was and ever will be.

How you get off comparing Doug

Here's a couple they might have considered:

1. Odell Thurmond - maybe the defensive rookie of the year. 100 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 5 FF, 5 INTs

2. Khalif Barnes - started at OT for the playoff bound Jags. OT might be a position of need for the Jets, do ya think?

3.Darrent Wiiliams - CB started most of the year for #2 seeded Denver. He may have found his way into the tip-top Jet secondary. Also a return man who doesn't fumble the ball. That would be an improvement for the Jests.

Thanks to Bradway, even long after he is gone as the GM of the Jets

We're gonna have 1 of the top kickers in the NFL here on this team for the next 12+ years.

Go ask the cowboys if they'd trade a 2nd rd pick for Mike Nugent.

So much for that any UDFA is as good as Nugent, huh tx? :P

That might be the dumbest sh*t I ever read.

I wasn't born when Ray Guy was drafted, but I'll take your word for it on what they said.

Does that mean they should get a punter in April? What round should they go after a holder and a long-snapper.

Can I get your Mom's address. I need to go smack her.

don't ba an a** with the personal remarks..that IS what they said about Ray Guy and he is a Hall of Famer...and you not being born yet means nothing towards the facts..The point is we as fans don't know squat although some feel otherwise..we will just have to wait & see if he is a bust or a huge success..I am betting on the latter

Just to clarify my comment I did not call the kid a bust was asking what Westhoff should comment. He has to say something positive. I hope the kid does improve but I would have never taken him that high in the draft. Every kicker seems to be having the yips this year from Feeley to Edinger to Matt Bryant but just hate using a high pick on this player and when more value could have been had. This stance I have taken all year not just since he has been average at best.

Archived