Geno Smith on his latest two Pick 6 interceptions: "Mistakes are going to happen"

Jetfan13

what?  Looks like the same product from last year. And the "He is a rookie" doesn't cut it anymore.

CINCINNATI – This was a familiar site for the 2014 Jets: Rookie quarterback Geno Smith standing behind a podium and promising, yet again, that he will learn from his mistakes.

He has two more doozies to study, a pair of second-half pick-6 interceptions that turned an ugly loss to the Bengals to something altogether embarrassing. The Bengals won, 49-9, and a week after lead the Jets to an overtime victory over the Patriots, Smith was awful.

“Mistakes are going to happen, no matter how many years I play in this league,” Smith said. “It’s something to learn from.”

At this point, Smith could teach a class.

He wasn’t the reason the Jets lost this game, of course – he would have had to morph into a young Dan Marino to keep his team competitive with the way its defense was playing.

Still, he completed 20 of 30 passes for just 159 yards as the offense struggled to sustain drives. The Jets averaged 7.7 yards a reception while the Bengals averaged 17.1, an indication of just how lopsided this game was.

It was that way from the start. After the Bengals marched down the field on the first possession for a touchdown, the Jets went three-and-out on their first possession, with Smith getting sacked for an 11-yard loss on third down.

The Bengals made it 14-0 on their next drive, and the Bengals had a 119 to minus-5 advantage in yardage. It didn’t get much better from there.

The Jets were down 28-6 coming out of halftime, and any sliver of hope that Smith might lead an improbable comeback vanished on the second play. Smith misread the coverage on a sideline pass that Bengals safety Chris Crocker returned 32 yards for a touchdown.

“The guy made a good play,” Smith said. “It wasn’t my best pass, but he made a great play. I have to do a better job keeping the ball out of the defender’s reach but I shouldn’t have forced it in the first place.”

Just like that, it was 35-6, and the Jets were officially dead. That Smith managed to dig the hole a little deeper, throwing a second Pick 6 to fellow West Virginia alum Pacman Jones, just made it look worse.

Smith fell awkwardly after missing a tackle on Jones’ 40-yard return, and Ryan had seen enough. He brought in backup Matt Simms.

“I understand why the decision was made, but I always want to be in the game” Smith said of the benching. “It’s always upsetting, but I understand.”

Smith now has 13 interceptions on the season, just two behind Eli Manning for the league lead. He has three Pick 6s in the last eight quarters, including one that Patriots corner Logan Ryan returned at MetLife last weeks.

The Jets managed to overcome that mistake with an overtime victory. This time, they had no chance.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know what else? If the Jets drafted another QB this year (which they wont).......are you ready for this? You might want to sit down.

HE will be a rookie also and mistakes will happen then too!

How can anyone say they won't draft another QB? 

the problem isn't the fact that the QB is a rookie the problem is that he's bad. 

the problem isn't the fact that the QB is a rookie the problem is that he's bad. 

Not even gonna argue with you man. Not worth it. It's clear where you stand. we'll just wait and see what happens lol

I don't think they should draft a QB early just because of Geno's first 8 games. I am of the belief you should draft a QB every damn year and hope to strike gold because of injuries and whatnot. He's been bad and he's been good and he's shown flashes of really good. 

We may need another QB but to blame Geno at every attempt gets lame

it's lamer to pretend that the defense is the problem. the D had a goalline stand... and an interception to get the Jets the ball back down 14-0 with 12 mins left in the 2nd quarter. THe game is not over at that point. The defense showed up late but the offense never showed up at all.  

it's lamer to pretend that the defense is the problem. the D had a goalline stand... and an interception to get the Jets the ball back down 14-0 with 12 mins left in the 2nd quarter. THe game is not over at that point. The defense showed up late but the offense never showed up at all.  

Now its becoming clear you're trolling.

Dude. The defense had already allowed two long scoring drives prior the goal line stand. 

No one is pretending, the defense was an actual problem yesterday. 

ahahahahahah

Archived