Antonio Cromartie, Dee Milliner among the worst ranked cornerbacks in the NFL

Jetfan13

The talk that New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie was set to be the No. 1 cornerback in the wake of his team trading away Darrelle Revis this past April now seems unfounded. Cromartie is far from playing like a No. 1 cornerback on the Jets– more like the No. 102 cornerback in the league.

According to Advanced NFL Stats, Cromartie is statistically the second worst cornerback in the NFL so far this season, one spot ahead of the St. Louis Rams Cortland Finnegan. Just ahead of Cromartie on the list at spot. No. 101 is Dee Milliner, the Jets first round pick taken with the ninth overall pick.

That's right, the Jets top two starting cornerbacks are just one spot away from being the worst in the league. At the top of the list is the Tennessee Titans Alterraun Verner.

It wasn't supposed to be this way, especially for Cromartie, who stepped in and played at a Pro Bowl level last year when Revis went down with a season-ending knee injury in Week 3. But this year, Cromartie has struggled and been torched by speedy, shifty wide receivers. He's also struggled at the line in his press-coverage, a staple requisite for cornerbacks in head coach Rex Ryan's 3-4 defense.

Last week, Ryan called Cromartie "the best corner that we have." That might explain why, despite a devastating pass rush, the Jets are No. 15 in pass defense and ninth worst in the league as a defense in points with 26.4 points allowed per game.

When the Jets selected Milliner No. 9 overall, they boasted that he was one of the top four players on their draft board. But a training camp holdout and then a hamstring injury has derailed his assimilation into the secondary. Last week Ryan predicted that "you're going to see steady progress with him."

Instead, Milliner was benched for the second time in his young career in a 49-9 loss at the Cincinnati Bengals.

Revis checks in at No. 25 on the Advanced NFL Stats list, this despite the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0-7 record this year and their insistence on playing a zone-coverage that fails to maximize his talents effectively.

The Jets also have Darrin Walls at No. 67 and Kyle Wilson at No. 90 check in ahead of Cromartie and Milliner.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Cro's hurt tbh.

Cro is a rare athlete and he's always depended on that athleticism to play CB in the league. He's approaching 30 we could have just seen him go over the hill. This is not a player with great technique or understanding to fall back on. 

16 million for the 25th ranked corner? no thanks

These stats are a bit fugazi. Some teams play zone, some man. Not all of these corners listed are even their teams #1 guy, so they have the benefit of playing against #2 and #3 WR's. Some of these guys play one side of the field...I'll tell you what though Revis on Thursday night was vintage Revis in man coverage. It's not his fault Schiano's a dolt.

These stats are a bit fugazi. Some teams play zone, some man. Not all of these corners listed are even their teams #1 guy, so they have the benefit of playing against #2 and #3 WR's. Some of these guys play one side of the field...I'll tell you what though Revis on Thursday night was vintage Revis in man coverage. It's not his fault Schiano's a dolt.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there, it's not exactly comparing apples to apples.  As far as Revis though, I think he's the same guy he's been for the past few seasons, a very good CB who isn't quite as good as the still-present hype of an absolutely exceptional season 4 years past.  Granted, it'd be ridiculous to consider anyone to continue to perform at that level, but the difference is many still act as if he has.  He's one of the better coverage guys in the league, but still not worth close to $16M and hasn't given any reason for a few years now to say he's any better than the other top guys at the position.

While he is still certainly very good in coverage, has anyone else noticed how about bad he's looked when teams have ran at him?  As well as he played against Smith on Thursday, Carolina was running straight at him with great success on a number of key plays.  Of course, I haven't seen all of Tampa's games so that may have been more the exception than the rule, but I was just surprised to see it.  Although I couldn't help but chuckle when he was getting boxed out by Ted freakin' Ginn of all people.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there, it's not exactly comparing apples to apples.  As far as Revis though, I think he's the same guy he's been for the past few seasons, a very good CB who isn't quite as good as the still-present hype of an absolutely exceptional season 4 years past.  Granted, it'd be ridiculous to consider anyone to continue to perform at that level, but the difference is many still act as if he has.  He's one of the better coverage guys in the league, but still not worth close to $16M and hasn't given any reason for a few years now to say he's any better than the other top guys at the position.

While he is still certainly very good in coverage, has anyone else noticed how about bad he's looked when teams have ran at him?  As well as he played against Smith on Thursday, Carolina was running straight at him with great success on a number of key plays.  Of course, I haven't seen all of Tampa's games so that may have been more the exception than the rule, but I was just surprised to see it.  Although I couldn't help but chuckle when he was getting boxed out by Ted freakin' Ginn of all people.

He's not 2009 good, but he was beating Smith up in coverage. His tackling hasnt been the same, but on an 0-7 sinking ship...plus coming off of injury...idk if I can blame him for not wanting to tackle a 250lb house running full speed.

True, just as Cromartie sucking has little to do with Revis still not being worth $16 million.

He's not worth 16 million no. But no players other than good QB's and elite WR's are worth what they're being paid nowadays. Holmes sure as hell isnt worth what he's being paid.

He's not worth 16 million no. But no players other than good QB's and elite WR's are worth what they're being paid nowadays. Holmes sure as hell isnt worth what he's being paid.

From Jason's new cap site (dated by a week now) on paying Non-QBs:

The average quarterback contract for a starter in the NFL is around $10 million per year. The average veteran contract, which is a more realistic number to use when addressing true QB value, is about $15 million a year. There are only six other players in the NFL that earn in the vicinity of “QB money”. Those players are Calvin Johnson ($16.2 million), Larry Fitzgerald ($16.1 million), Revis ($16 million), Williams ($16 million),  Adrian Peterson ($14.2 million), and Juilus Peppers ($14 million).

The combined records of the teams featuring those players since they signed their mega-deals is 69-100 through Thursdays Buccaneers/Panthers game. The only playoff team was Peterson’s Vikings in 2012 when Peterson had the historic rushing year. They lost in the first round. Johnson’s Lions are in a position to make it this season. Only Peppers and Peterson experienced a winning season and I’d imagine Johnson will join that group this season.

From Jason's new cap site (dated by a week now) on paying Non-QBs:

The average quarterback contract for a starter in the NFL is around $10 million per year. The average veteran contract, which is a more realistic number to use when addressing true QB value, is about $15 million a year. There are only six other players in the NFL that earn in the vicinity of “QB money”. Those players are Calvin Johnson ($16.2 million), Larry Fitzgerald ($16.1 million), Revis ($16 million), Williams ($16 million),  Adrian Peterson ($14.2 million), and Juilus Peppers ($14 million).

The combined records of the teams featuring those players since they signed their mega-deals is 69-100 through Thursdays Buccaneers/Panthers game. The only playoff team was Peterson’s Vikings in 2012 when Peterson had the historic rushing year. They lost in the first round. Johnson’s Lions are in a position to make it this season. Only Peppers and Peterson experienced a winning season and I’d imagine Johnson will join that group this season.

I'd say its more coincidence than anything tbh. You cant tell me Calvin Johnson's contract is what's holding the Lions back. Or Petersons.

Revis' current contract with Tampa isnt why the stink. Teams are built via the draft and you give the extra special players the big second and third contracts. Revis is a royal pain the rear, but the dude is still a phenomenal player...and was a huge cog in Rex being so successful here defensively. Were obviosuly seeing the difference this season....its like the 2008 defense all over. We loved Jenkins but what use was he if teams just had their QB's throw off of 3 step drops?

it's a better deal than 10 mil for the 102nd ranked CB and 4 mil for the 101st. People complain about the money Revis got but the team is paying other guys. 

That's an interesting point you have there.  It might help a little if either one of those numbers you mentioned were actually true though.  Or if Cro being overpaid had any correlation whatsoever to Revis being overpaid, which it absolutely does not.  And to think, this is all coming from the same guy who endlessly claimed the never-ending stream of reports that said Revis wanted $16M / year were obviously untrue, simply because he said so, and that Revis obviously wasn't worth, nor would he ever be paid, that much money.

You won't get any argument from me there on either of those points.  There are lots of moronic contracts out there, including a number of them on the Jets, but it is horribly flawed logic to use that as justification for why a tea should knowingly overpay someone else beyond what anyone at their position is worth, as some certain unnamed posters around here seem to like to do.

I'd say its more coincidence than anything tbh. You cant tell me Calvin Johnson's contract is what's holding the Lions back. Or Petersons.

Revis' current contract with Tampa isnt why the stink. Teams are built via the draft and you give the extra special players the big second and third contracts. Revis is a royal pain the rear, but the dude is still a phenomenal player...and was a huge cog in Rex being so successful here defensively. Were obviosuly seeing the difference this season....its like the 2008 defense all over. We loved Jenkins but what use was he if teams just had their QB's throw off of 3 step drops?

I actually think it kind of goes in the opposite direction.  It's not that the reason for these team's struggles are the fact that they are paying these players that much money, it's simply that those struggling teams are the only ones who are generally willing to commit that kind of money to those positions.  Historically speaking, you will very rarely see any of the consistently top teams ever pay out a substantial amount of money to a non-QB position.  So there is a correlation there, but I agree that it's not necessarily the cause.

You won't get any argument from me there on either of those points.  There are lots of moronic contracts out there, including a number of them on the Jets, but it is horribly flawed logic to use that as justification for why a tea should knowingly overpay someone else beyond what anyone at their position is worth, as some certain unnamed posters around here seem to like to do.

Agreed. I think however simply pointing to Tampa being winless as justification of Revis not being worth it or that good....isnt totally accurate. Some guys are worth more to certain teams than others.

I guarantee you if Rex is here next season he'll be pounding the table for CB's.

Archived