If The Jets Beat The Saints I'll Donate $100 To Breast Cancer

New York Mick

No. Any donations I make aren't contingent upon the Jets winning a football game they have a 75% chance of losing.

I know you meant to do something good, but it will make you feel good to just do it anyway.  

Whatever you do, check the charity out & make sure your money is used in a way you wanted (awareness vs research vs treatment).  Ask a survivor or someone who's had the make the decision for preemptive surgery done how much she likes the "save the tatas" campaign.  It's a small sample set that I've spoken to on balance (not even in the hundreds, let alone thousands/millions), but I've yet to find one of these women who likes that campaign; it makes them feel like donations are being made for saving t!ts, not for saving women.  If you have friends & family (or have other reasons to have had contact with more than that) and are close enough to have spoken to them about it, or been in a setting where they air out their feelings about it, you know all to well they went through their share of anxiety and esteem issues after surgery.  Seeing a sea of "save the tatas" tee shirts brings these feelings back (for some of them).  They survived, but their tatas didn't, so to speak.  It's a bitter reminder to them of what they no longer have, rather than the joy and pride of what they still do, in a way that other "awareness" campaigns do not.  

Back on topic, I think it would be a good idea to do something, and I'd be in if someone wants to take the initiative.  We've done nice things like that here before and it's always been my pleasure to do my part, but I wouldn't want to make it contingent upon the unlikely occurrence of a Jets win over the Saints.  Those you're seeking to do right by deserve better than reliance on the Jets.  JMO.

No. Any donations I make aren't contingent upon the Jets winning a football game they have a 75% chance of losing.

I know you meant to do something good, but it will make you feel good to just do it anyway.  

Whatever you do, check the charity out & make sure your money is used in a way you wanted (awareness vs research vs treatment).  Ask a survivor or someone who's had the make the decision for preemptive surgery done how much she likes the "save the tatas" campaign.  It's a small sample set that I've spoken to on balance (not even in the hundreds, let alone thousands/millions), but I've yet to find one of these women who likes that campaign; it makes them feel like donations are being made for saving t!ts, not for saving women.  If you have friends & family (or have other reasons to have had contact with more than that) and are close enough to have spoken to them about it, or been in a setting where they air out their feelings about it, you know all to well they went through their share of anxiety and esteem issues after surgery.  Seeing a sea of "save the tatas" tee shirts brings these feelings back (for some of them).  They survived, but their tatas didn't, so to speak.  It's a bitter reminder to them of what they no longer have, rather than the joy and pride of what they still do, in a way that other "awareness" campaigns do not.  

Back on topic, I think it would be a good idea to do something, and I'd be in if someone wants to take the initiative.  We've done nice things like that here before and it's always been my pleasure to do my part, but I wouldn't want to make it contingent upon the unlikely occurrence of a Jets win over the Saints.  Those you're seeking to do right by deserve better than reliance on the Jets.  JMO.

the name might be controversial......but if they are helping with research for breast cancer i think it's a worthy cause. it might sound stupid but a name like that is akin to a good commercial. you want people to remember the brand........the name might actually bring people who normally wouldn't remember a breast cancer charity to actually donate to one.

Whatever you do, check the charity out & make sure your money is used in a way you wanted (awareness vs research vs treatment). Ask a survivor or someone who's had the make the decision for preemptive surgery done how much she likes the "save the tatas" campaign. It's a small sample set that I've spoken to on balance (not even in the hundreds, let alone thousands/millions), but I've yet to find one of these women who likes that campaign; it makes them feel like donations are being made for saving t!ts, not for saving women. If you have friends & family (or have other reasons to have had contact with more than that) and are close enough to have spoken to them about it, or been in a setting where they air out their feelings about it, you know all to well they went through their share of anxiety and esteem issues after surgery. Seeing a sea of "save the tatas" tee shirts brings these feelings back (for some of them). They survived, but their tatas didn't, so to speak. It's a bitter reminder to them of what they no longer have, rather than the joy and pride of what they still do, in a way that other "awareness" campaigns do not.

Back on topic, I think it would be a good idea to do something, and I'd be in if someone wants to take the initiative. We've done nice things like that here before and it's always been my pleasure to do my part, but I wouldn't want to make it contingent upon the unlikely occurrence of a Jets win over the Saints. Those you're seeking to do right by deserve better than reliance on the Jets. JMO.

I PMed max to see what the story was. I'll give either way. If someone on the board knows how to set up something I'm in.

the name might be controversial......but if they are helping with research for breast cancer i think it's a worthy cause. it might sound stupid but a name like that is akin to a good commercial. you want people to remember the brand........the name might actually bring people who normally wouldn't remember a breast cancer charity to actually donate to one.

I know, and I certainly wasn't attempting to find fault with you.  Just saying that a by-product of that particular campaign is it makes many survivors angry & upset about something that was difficult enough to cope with.  

I love St Jude's also.  Sent them a fortune over years. Hard to get them to stop sending me promotional things that I don't want or need, though.

I know, and I certainly wasn't attempting to find fault with you.  Just saying that a by-product of that particular campaign is it makes many survivors angry & upset about something that was difficult enough to cope with.  

I love St Jude's also.  Sent them a fortune over years. Hard to get them to stop sending me promotional things that I don't want or need, though.

Holiday address labels?

maybe it's because i have young kids.......but there is something that just seems so incredibly worthy about a charity for childhood cancer

Holiday address labels?

Among other things, yes.  They will stop if you tell them to stop, but if you tell whoever is calling for another donation, they ignore you.  You can call and, in so many words, tell them, "Please stop sending me labels, calendars, and all mailing fundraising efforts.  I will still send donations in on a periodic basis but don't want to feel like my money is going towards paper & postage."  I know there is a "net gain" for them in doing so, which leads to greater revenue generated overall, but it's always bugged me when, for me, it is a 100% waste.

Want to know what really makes me feel dirty about myself with regards to that? Knowing that I could avoid it by making all donations anonymous, but not doing that for tax deduction reasons, freaking whore that I am.

The other thing would be to question "why are cancer rates skyrocketing?"  I've heard rumors of flouride in the water but I'm certainly no expert.

The other thing would be to question "why are cancer rates skyrocketing?"  I've heard rumors of flouride in the water but I'm certainly no expert.

The longer people live, or avoid death from other means, the more opportunity there is to contract or die of something else (unfortunately). Take your pick of things, from the sharp reduction of AIDS deaths to better automobile safety to lower death rates from natural disasters to any number of medical advances and other lifesaving efforts that have improved in so many aspects of our lives.

Fluoride has been in the drinking water for 50 years. Far more people bottled water instead of tap compared to decades ago. Just FYI, because I think it is somewhat related, foil is more useful for cooking than for protective headgear.

The longer people live, or avoid death from other means, the more opportunity there is to contract or die of something else (unfortunately). Take your pick of things, from the sharp reduction of AIDS deaths to better automobile safety to lower death rates from natural disasters to any number of medical advances and other lifesaving efforts that have improved in so many aspects of our lives.

Fluoride has been in the drinking water for 50 years. Far more people bottled water instead of tap compared to decades ago. Just FYI, because I think it is somewhat related, foil is more useful for cooking than for protective headgear.

lol....

fwiw, i really hope to have a quick death. it's really sad to see someone die of some sh*tty disease over a few months time

lol....

fwiw, i really hope to have a quick death. it's really sad to see someone die of some sh*tty disease over a few months time

No doubt.  It's horrible to see, obviously horrible to go through, and statistically it is going to happen to many of us.

More that if 100 people are prevented from dying young (whatever the reason), all 100 don't live forever.  They will all die anyway.  Some of them will die from cancer.  I'm sure there are other reasons, but fluoride has been in the drinking water for half a century.

I like St Jude's too.   Feel bad though, because I worry our 2 donations have almost been re-spent on postage back to us.

I like St. Judes as well.  Ronald McDonald House Charity is a very good one too.

Make a Wish Foundation was absolutely amazing with my neice.  I can speak first hand about them and Ronald McDonald house as well. I have heard similar things as Sperm about some seeking treatment with breast cancer society.  Either way, good idea Mick, I know your heart is in the right place.

The Young Turks on youtube (independent media) did a story on this Breast cancer thing the NFL is doing and they found out that only a VERY SMALL portion of the money you donate actually goes to breast cancer research.  You would be better served taking that 100$, go to a supermarket and buy 100$ worth of pre packaged sandwiches, then go to a place you know has alot of homeless people and hand them out.  This way your seeing immediate results and it helps your "well being" and growth as a human being because your actually present to see the smiles and gratitude. 

our entire world is toxic.  air, water, land, food.  even simple food dyes are dangerous, and can actually alter DNA

This is a football forum.  The thread a Jets fan started about donating to a worthy cause, and seeing if anyone wants to pitch in with him.  There are plenty of other forums on teh internets for unleashing anger at whoever is on your "Public Figures and Companies That I Hate" list.

My point is that if we're sincere about caring about this stuff then we should focus on not only the cure but also the cause.  Finding the cause can actually be a big step in the cure (e.g. "avoid the thing causing it").  In other words, maybe it would be more effective for people to spend their efforts lobbying against companies who create GMOs rather than to let that continue unabated.

My point is that if we're sincere about caring about this stuff then we should focus on not only the cure but also the cause.  Finding the cause can actually be a big step in the cure (e.g. "avoid the thing causing it").  In other words, maybe it would be more effective for people to spend their efforts lobbying against companies who create GMOs rather than to let that continue unabated.

Yeah, and again I suggest you find another website to have discussions about which companies you want to boycott.  This is a Jets website.  Someone here was going to make a donation towards what he (and many or most) feels is a worthy charity, and wanted to see if others wanted to pool resources to make it a larger one.  Totally cool with that.

This website's users aren't all just a bunch of know-nothing, knuckle-dragging cavemen outside of football discussions (and some even in that setting), who desperately need your teachings to rescue us.  When people don't bring up certain topics here - politics, religion, etc. - it's because they are showing restraint, not ignorance.  One might even take issue with the implied ignorance that breast cancer would virtually disappear if not for Monsanto or Bill Gates; that donations to breast cancer charities or directly to research/treatment facilities - that have helped save thousands upon thousands of lives - are futile.  

I'd like you to discontinue your contribution to this thread so I don't have to lock what started out as a desired act of generosity.

Archived