Revis Tweets 16Mill and Schaino is better than 12Mill and Rex.(MERGED)

BurnleyJet

You get the money. Lavernues Coles is broke. Allen Iverson is broke. No fan, no owner, no organization is going to retroactively hand them a check for services rendered. This is what Sean Gilbert has imparted to Revis and that's how he acts. Some of you want to be upset about a lack of "loyalty." The owners will let these players starve to death in the street the second they stop being of use to the team. The Steelers and Giants are the two "classiest" teams in the league, and the Steelers let Hall of Famer Mike Webster die penniless, living in his car. Go ask Lawrence Taylor or Billy Johnson how helpful the Giants have been to them post-career. You go get paid, you suck every penny you can out of the league before it spits you out.

Damn, the Dolphins hazed a lot of people!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get the money. Lavernues Coles is broke. Allen Iverson is broke. No fan, no owner, no organization is going to retroactively hand them a check for services rendered. This is what Sean Gilbert has imparted to Revis and that's how he acts. Some of you want to be upset about a lack of "loyalty." The owners will let these players starve to death in the street the second they stop being of use to the team. The Steelers and Giants are the two "classiest" teams in the league, and the Steelers let Hall of Famer Mike Webster die penniless, living in his car. Go ask Lawrence Taylor or Billy Johnson how helpful the Giants have been to them post-career. You go get paid, you suck every penny you can out of the league before it spits you out.

I disagree with your premise about getting the money.  If L. Coles and A. Iverson are broke, it's because they're morons.  They got plenty of money.  They lived the high life and pissed (snorted it, smoked or drank it away and spent it on ho's and living big) it away rather than saving it or made bad investments.  Am I supposed to feel sorry for them?  Sorry, I don't.  

I do feel sorry for someone like Webster, who played before OL and a lot of players got payed so much, and who suffered after football from head injuries they suffered while playing.

Revis is on an 0-8 team hes miserable other than a pay check hes got nothing to play for.

A paycheck?  LOL  Dude gets $ 1 million dollars for about 1.5 hours of work. Considering he is only out during defense.  I want to be $ 1 million for 1.5 hours of work miserable.  Even just one time.  LOL

Agreed.  Though if LT wasn;t a teenage girl raping cokehead he could have done pretty good when retireming from football. I would guess anyway. 

How the hell is Laveranues Coles broke? The guy got a new contract with a new signing bonus like every 2nd or 3rd season.  And in between those seasons he was still making MILLIONS.

Even his last year in Cincy he made another $10M.

he already is rich,  the jets paid him a sh*t load of bonuses and front loaded money

its just a dick measuring contest with cash

I love the Jets as much as anyone can and if through some miracle I was able to play NFL football I would still go to the Bucs and take the extra $4M. For that kind of money I'd even let them measure my dick. 

I love the Jets as much as anyone can and if through some miracle I was able to play NFL football I would still go to the Bucs and take the extra $4M. For that kind of money I'd even let them measure my dick. 

People act like $4 million is insignificant. Plus, Jets didn't even make the dude an offer. What was he suppose to do.. suit up for free?

Your premise is flawed.  While the "get every penny you can" way of thinking is valid for many players, Revis is not one of them. 

250,000 a year is a hell of a nice living.  I'd be living large if I made nearly that much...

Revis had made the the same amount of money in 5 years that someone making 250,000 would have to work 280 years for.  And that was BEFORE he signed his contract with the Bucs.

I have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't choose happiness and more money than you can ever spend, over a sh*tty work situation and more money than you can ever spend (plus 4 million).

If he's not a complete idiot he's already made enough to afford a lavish lifestyle for the rest of he and Geiger Geigers lives.  All the Playstation, kicks, and General Tsos chicken he could ever want.

How the hell is Laveranues Coles broke? The guy got a new contract with a new signing bonus like every 2nd or 3rd season.  And in between those seasons he was still making MILLIONS.

Even his last year in Cincy he made another $10M.

sprewell was one of my companies customers maybe 4 years ago

couldn't pay his bills, we cut him off

sprewell was one of my companies customers maybe 4 years ago

couldn't pay his bills, we cut him off

Spree I remember hearing about.  Just didn't know about Coles.

Crazy thing is Spree made more than twice what Coles did.  Looking it up now, it seems his career earnings through 2005 came to $97 million (not counting any of his AND1 or other endorsement money).  

Even with taxes and paying his agent and everything, that's enough to set up all those kids he whined about, as well as all their kids, and their kids as well, for life.  What a freaking idiot.

It's about lifestyle compared to income.  These guys don't consider the fact that they may live 40+ years after they retire from actively playing.  If you expect to play for 10 years then you'd better be living off less than half your take-home income and putting the rest away for the future.  Some do, but many don't.  As soon as the money stops, they can't afford the lifestyle and the fall is brutally fast. 

It may sound impossible, but it's apparently not hard to spend $10MM/year just living the lifestyle.  I read that Richie Incognito is having a black Ferrari delivered today.  How long do you figure he'll get to drive that before it goes on Craigslist. 

Crazy thing is Spree made more than twice what Coles did.  Looking it up now, it seems his career earnings through 2005 came to $97 million (not counting any of his AND1 or other endorsement money).  

Even with taxes and paying his agent and everything, that's enough to set up all those kids he whined about, as well as all their kids, and their kids as well, for life.  What a freaking idiot.

If this website is accurate - http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nfl/laveranues-coles-net-worth/ - then Coles is currently worth around $7.5M. Looks like he made a poor investment in Florida real estate, and probably burned thru a lot of cash buying dinner as a rookie, but he doesn't seem to be broke.

"broke" is what happens to young (usually poorer) people who get so much so fast with no idea how to invest or spend wisely. young people are generally idiots due to lack of life experience.

in this day in age, with 401Ks and that stuff, general guidance on how to invest your money long term should be something taught in schools.

that said, I don't know how you go through what some of these guys make. super expensive dinner parties? I don't even have enough friends to pull that off past my rookie hazing period.

yup.  a lot of these guys get taken to the cleaners in business ventures, real estate, trips to vegas, cars, divorces, and then you look up and the accountant took the rest to fiji

Apparently he was serious when he claimed he needed more cash because he had a family to feed.  Who knew! 

Archived