Official 2013 Offseason Thread

CrazyCarl40

That's just silly. Even with JAG at second, the Yanks are already better with McCann and Ellsbury. Still hoping they keep Cano, though.

If they can bring in another bat or Cano.

They have definitely upgraded CF (and the overall OF) and C.

I really don't understand what the Yankees plan is

McCann: Must needed absolute upgrade from the 2013 debacle behind the plate,

You already have Soriano, Gardner, Ichiro in the OF and you go and add Ellsbury and now Beltran ? I am guessing that Beltran will spend alot of time at the DH spot but usually that spot has rotated to give a guys a day off in the field.

You already have Soriano, Gardner, Ichiro in the OF and you go and add Ellsbury and now Beltran ? I am guessing that Beltran will spend alot of time at the DH spot but usually that spot has rotated to give a guys a day off in the field.

I don't think Soriano can really go back to 2B can he? Ichiro is probably gone and I wouldn't bet against them moving Gardner for a pitcher or something. Their pitching is not good right now and that's what you need to win in the postseason as the Red Sox and Cards both showed last season.

I don't think Soriano can really go back to 2B can he? Ichiro is probably gone and I wouldn't bet against them moving Gardner for a pitcher or something. Their pitching is not good right now and that's what you need to win in the postseason as the Red Sox and Cards both showed last season.

Soriano couldn't play second 10 years ago. If that's the plan buckle your seatbelt. We'll have two guys who are a combined 80 years old turning double plays

That is a good question.  Have they moved Wells?

Beltran does provide some power and having a few extra bodies in case of injuries is a nice luxury. 

However, a 3 years contract for a guy that is going to be 37 next year?  Its a plan.  What the point is remains to be seen.

The farm system is what's killing you.  The Yankees can afford to overpay on salary, but giving away compensatory picks and trading prospects needs to be curtailed.  I probably would've just resigned Cano and Kuroda and not bothered with McCann or Ellsbury.  Certainly not Beltran.

Yeah, I don't get the Beltran signing at all. He's got to be primarily a DH. Maybe they figure all these old outfielders can rotate to DH and keep their bats in the lineup without wearing them out. It'll be Gardner and a rotating cast of outfield teammates.

Yeah, I don't get the Beltran signing at all. He's got to be primarily a DH. Maybe they figure all these old outfielders can rotate to DH and keep their bats in the lineup without wearing them out. It'll be Gardner and a rotating cast of outfield teammates.

Not sure how they square Jeter and Betran both needing to DH ften. They signed Ryan to play short a lo because they know Jeter is close to done as a fielder. Would better understand if they signed a younger OF.

Wombat's point is well taken. Tha total failure of the draft and farm system are why they are forced to sign these free agents. And the 2 guys in charge of that, Damon Oppenheimer and Mark Newman, were reupped instead of fired.

How many guys can the Yankees have as DH's - too much of a glut there. Expect Gardner to get traded for a pitcher

Doesn't he become an unrestricted FA next year?  How much value is that?

I was thinking along the lines of what Bob said.  Have a rotation between Wells, Beltran, Soriano at those twp spots riding the hot bat as needed. 

Doesn't he become an unrestricted FA next year?  How much value is that?

I was thinking along the lines of what Bob said.  Have a rotation between Wells, Beltran, Soriano at those twp spots riding the hot bat as needed. 

Don't forget Ichiro.

Archived