Texans releasing Ed Reed

Matt39

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take a flier on this guy. He brings championship experience to this young roster and would serve as a good mentor for Antonio Allen. Reed has stated on more than one occasion his love for Rex. I think the days of him being a top flight every down safety are over, but I would much rather go to war with Ed Reed in my Safety rotation than Jaiquawn Jarrett...This seems like a no risk, high reward move by us.

Really? He's like 35 yrs old and injury prone.

If anyone can tell us the last time signing one of these geezers paid off for the Jets please do.

Trevor Pryce comes to mind.

Nobody is saying Reed saves the season, but conceptually... adding veterans as role players when you have a shot at a playoff run can't hurt.

Like I said above, I really have no idea how healthy Reed is. Just figured the post above mine about him shooting his mouth off and getting released might mean he's got something to offer, but got released for being a doosh. 

Also, our safeties get eaten alive weekly. 

I think Pryce made about 5 tackles as a Jet.

I would expect about the same from Reed.

More importantly, he became part of a rotation to keep our more talented guys fresh - and he brought a lot to the team's chemistry if my memory recalls. 

So, like I said - veteran role players.

Really? He's like 35 yrs old and injury prone.

If anyone can tell us the last time signing one of these geezers paid off for the Jets please do.

Meh, he really cannot be any worse than our current batch of safeties.  He might find some new life in a system he's very familiar with. 

Trevor Pryce comes to mind.

Nobody is saying Reed saves the season, but conceptually... adding veterans as role players when you have a shot at a playoff run can't hurt.

Like I said above, I really have no idea how healthy Reed is. Just figured the post above mine about him shooting his mouth off and getting released might mean he's got something to offer, but got released for being a doosh. 

Also, our safeties get eaten alive weekly. 

+ 1 on ALL of this.

I'd pass on Reed largely because he's hurt.

And?  Sign him and let him be a veteran mentor to our ridiculously young safeties until he's healthy enough to play. 

More importantly, he became part of a rotation to keep our more talented guys fresh - and he brought a lot to the team's chemistry if my memory recalls. 

So, like I said - veteran role players.

Again, + 1.

The Texans, who are on a seven-game losing streak, are releasing Reed. They're doing so two days after Reed was limited to just 12 snaps. Two days after he declared that the Texans were "outplayed and outcoached" in certain situations. One day after interim head coach Wade Phillips said the Texans preferred to keep opinions like that in house. 

Reed's time in Houston never went smoothly. He showed up with a torn labrum in his hip that the Texans missed during their lengthy physical before signing him. Once he was healthy, his snaps were still limited. By now, the Texans have gotten to the point where they feel more comfortable starting Shiloh Keo at free safety than a future Hall of Famer. 

Reed never bought into the idea that his limited role was best for the team. He began to express his frustrations last week after not starting despite being healthy for the first time since his sophomore year of college

wut ???

last time I saw Reed he wasnt even dressed out on game day.  I think that was 2 weeks ago?  Dont know if his release has more to do with him finally being healthy enough to release(cant release and injured player?) or not getting along with the coaches.  He wont have that problem here.  Sign him on the cheep or pass imo.

Texans are eating $6M, but his salary is still $3M (2013), $4M (2014) and $5M (2015).  I'm pretty sure he is going to go through waivers before we even talk to him. He is also hurt.  He is still playing, but he dinged his knee and one of the articles mentioned hip issues. 

No thanks.  He's 35.  He's slowing down and more injury prone.  His production has fallen off a cliff.  He has few tackles and has produced/gotten no TOs this year.  If he could put the Jets over the hump and help get them to the SB, then yes, but that isn't the case.  While it might be good to have him help mentor the young kids (I'm not sure he has ever done that or would), but at the same time, if he's playing and they're not, it's possible if not likely that it would hinder their development.

The Texans, who are on a seven-game losing streak, are releasing Reed. They're doing so two days after Reed was limited to just 12 snaps. Two days after he declared that the Texans were "outplayed and outcoached" in certain situations. One day after interim head coach Wade Phillips said the Texans preferred to keep opinions like that in house. 

Reed's time in Houston never went smoothly. He showed up with a torn labrum in his hip that the Texans missed during their lengthy physical before signing him. Once he was healthy, his snaps were still limited. By now, the Texans have gotten to the point where they feel more comfortable starting Shiloh Keo at free safety than a future Hall of Famer. 

Reed never bought into the idea that his limited role was best for the team. He began to express his frustrations last week after not starting despite being healthy for the first time since his sophomore year of college

wut ???

I think that means that since his soph. year of college, he has started every game when he was healthy.  He missed starting and playing several games in 2005, 2009 & 2010.  Now he is healthy and not starting for the first time, and it doesn't sit well with him.

Archived