Texans releasing Ed Reed

Matt39

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was 29 yrs old when he became a Jet in 1966. Keep digging.

Vinny Testaverde

Jayson Taylor

Favre (for 10 games)

Tomlinson

And to lesser extent (worthy of under $1M, like Reed): Winslow, who was doing just fine until he got suspended.

This is only looking at the Jets, who haven't tried that many times. I'd look at other teams who have tried cheap, older guys for a temporary fix and it paid off, like New England: Brian Waters, Junior Sean (RIP), Gerard Warren, Alge Crumpler, Sammy Morris, Ted Washington, and probably over a dozen others.

We don't have that many because we haven't brought IN that many. It's not even like, at the money Reed is due, that he's a lock to be starting. If he is terrible he's terrible. It's worth it because he's cheap and if he doesn't work out we're not locked into him. Plus he knows the defense and can help others who still have potential to be better than they are.

He may not make it to us, so it probably doesn't matter.

If that's true he won't clear waivers, and won't make it to the Jets, both Balt, and Miami have WW priority on the Jets if I'm not mistaken.

What I meant was they can cut him or redo the deal at the end of the year and get out from under it. I doubt he or the Texans were expecting him to see the money on the backend of that contract.

Green Day: Mulling Ed Reed & Jets

November, 13, 2013

NOV 13

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The New York Jets missed their chance to grab Ed Reed in 2002, passing on him with the 22nd pick in the draft. They opted for Bryan Thomas. Oops.

Now Reed is available again, waived Tuesday by the Houston Texans. Do I think the Jets will show interest? Doubtful.

If Rex Ryan were calling the shots, I'd say yes, considering his history with Reed at the Baltimore Ravens. But I don't think general manager John Idzik will go for it. He's a status-quo kind of guy, and my hunch is that he likes his current safeties, Dawan Landry, Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett.

Me? My initial thought was to take a pass, considering Reed's age (35) and lack of production (no interceptions and 16 tackles in seven games). But upon further review, it's worth at least an internal discussion. If Reed is willing to take a complementary role -- a big if -- it's worth consideration. The Jets use a three-safety package at times, and they might be able to find a niche for Reed, one of the greatest ballhawks in history. They don't have a true free safety. He already knows the system.

The Jets can talk all they want about the steadiness of Landry and the promise of Allen and Jarrett, but the troika has produced only two interceptions -- although we should mention that Allen took one to the house.

Reed became a malcontent in Houston, lost playing time (only 12 snaps last Sunday) and criticized the coaches, saying they were "outplayed and outcoached" after losing to the Arizona Cardinals. Maybe Reed is fed up. Maybe he just wants to take his records, go home and wait for Canton to call in five years. Obviously, he's not what he used to be, but it's worth a phone call for the Jets. Plus, they play the Ravens next week in Baltimore. You know they'd get Reed's best -- whatever he has left -- for that game.

If I were Idzik, I'd defer to Ryan, who knows what makes Reed tick. If Ryan thinks there's an ounce or two of football left in Reed's body, why not? One big play could mean the difference between going to the playoffs or sitting home.

ICYMI: Tuesday was a quiet day for the Jets. They didn't report any roster moves or free-agent workouts. On Monday, they tried out six wide receivers, including former Green Bay Packer B.J. Cunningham. ... Rookie safety Rontez Miles, who thought he finally arrived, cleared waivers Tuesday, allowing him to return to the practice squad. ... Former Jets star Darrelle Revis told the New York Post he's tired of being harassed by Jets fans on Twitter. Owner Woody Johnson called it "horrible." ... Injured running back Mike Goodson, indicted last week on weapons charges, is subject to league discipline under the personal conduct policy. His suspension for substance abuse was a separate deal.

Agree with Cimini.

In this case Idzik should defer to Rex.  We're not talking a 5 year deal for big money here.  If Reed will accept a 1 year "show me" deal, this is a no brainer.

Think Rex would really want him, and think Reed would like to play another year with Rex on a playoff contender.  If Reed wants a big contract, pass.  He's already been paid this year, and anything else would be a bonus.

Jets have cap room on the current cap,  Our current safety's aren't anything to write home about.  No risk to this except a few dollars  

He was so bad his name is considered profanity.  Meanwhile one can say "faggot" without a problem on JN.

I've been scolded and banned for both implying and/or calling people "stupid".

I guess we know there are no insecurities around sexuality at least... but intelligence, well...

Agree with Cimini.

In this case Idzik should defer to Rex.  We're not talking a 5 year deal for big money here.  If Reed will accept a 1 year "show me" deal, this is a no brainer.

Think Rex would really want him, and think Reed would like to play another year with Rex on a playoff contender.  If Reed wants a big contract, pass.  He's already been paid this year, and anything else would be a bonus.

Jets have cap room on the current cap,  Our current safety's aren't anything to write home about.  No risk to this except a few dollars  

Paid by the Texans. Ring by the Jets?

Agree with Cimini.

Reed won't have to accept a show me contract, IMO he won't clear waivers so whoever claims him has a deal in place for the rest of the year, so Reed either shows up, or retires.

Vinny Testaverde

Jayson Taylor

Favre (for 10 games)

Tomlinson

And to lesser extent (worthy of under $1M, like Reed): Winslow, who was doing just fine until he got suspended.

This is only looking at the Jets, who haven't tried that many times. I'd look at other teams who have tried cheap, older guys for a temporary fix and it paid off, like New England: Brian Waters, Junior Sean (RIP), Gerard Warren, Alge Crumpler, Sammy Morris, Ted Washington, and probably over a dozen others.

We don't have that many because we haven't brought IN that many. It's not even like, at the money Reed is due, that he's a lock to be starting. If he is terrible he's terrible. It's worth it because he's cheap and if he doesn't work out we're not locked into him. Plus he knows the defense and can help others who still have potential to be better than they are.

He may not make it to us, so it probably doesn't matter.

The point is most people think they are getting what they saw in the players heyday and regarding the Jets, except for maybe one season with Vinny T (guy was a physical freak and probably still in better shape than half the NFL) none of your examples hold up.

Taylor did nothing special as a Jet, Favre broke down, LT gained 1300 yds..........over 2 seasons.

For every Vinny T story in the league there are 10 Ronnie Lotts  or Leonard Marshalls.

I dont think this is going to be Idziks m/o.

HOWEVER.......maybe Tony Gonzalez could best bolster your point.

Rex brought Jim Leonard here because he knew the system.  To think that he wouldnt bring in Ed Reed is laughable.  Does Idzik bend to Rex's wish is what the real question is.

Well that, and do the Dolphins, and Ravens pass on him to is a big question.

Rex brought Jim Leonard here because he knew the system.  To think that he wouldnt bring in Ed Reed is laughable.  Does Idzik bend to Rex's wish is what the real question is.

No it isn't.

The real question is - if the Jets sign Reed, how quickly will you jump all over spinning it that way since you obviously don't agree with adding Reed?

If there is ANY viability to SenorGato's "scripted" paranoid delusions... then the NFL will do what is necessary to ensure future HOFer Reed is reunited with Rex, in a surprisingly resurgent season for the beleaguered coach, just in time for them both to go back to Baltimore to face their ex-team together!!!

WRITERS - COME UP WITH A HAPPIER HAPPY ENDING NOW!!! 

Ravens announced their out on Ed Reed, but now the Cowboys a reportedly interested.

Watch us sign him for more than he would have cost on waivers.

That's what I was thinking. I'm quite surprised actually that they didn't put in a claim. I'm not an expert with comp picks, but would claiming him have caused us to lose a comp pick?

Archived