Macklin, Decker, E. Sanders, Cooper UFA's 2014

eboozer

From what I've read Evans blows away those named big sized players in speed, and athleticism, all scouts compare him to VJax, so IF he blows up the combine I would venture to guess he will go 1st among WR's, and possibly in the first 7 picks. If he has a bad combine he will probably end up having an amazing pro day (most do, it's like the stop watches are rigged), and still go in the teens of the 1st round 2nd, or 3rd overall at the WR position.

As for Watkins I agree dude is an explosive playmaker, but I see another guy who is just as explosive, and gets no attention, and can be had in the 2nd, or 3rd round if he declares Junior WR from Oregon St. Brandin Cooks. Look him up, and check out his highlight videos somewhere dude is the goods like Watkins IMO.

Also WR from Vanderbilt Jordan Mathews is a very comparable player to Mike Evans, and will probably go late 1st to somewhere in the 2nd depending on combine, not as fast, but just as big, and just as good going up, and attacking the ball with his hands, and coming down with them over defenders.

Another late 2st to early 3rd rounder to look at is the kid from Penn St. Allen Robinson. Kid has gone super under the radar, probably because of the whole NCAA penalties Penn St. Deservedly has, but this kid can play, and has had his biggest games in the biggest games (had 10+catches for over 150 yards VS Ohio St.).

It's a good year to need a WR draft wise, the challenge is figuring out who are the Vincent Jackson's/Antonio Brown's of the draft, and who are the Mike Williams'/Ted Ginn Jr's. Jets HAVE to get it right this year at the WR position which ever Round/Round's they decide to address it.

You know who else was compared to Vjax coming out? Limas Sweed, Malcom Kelly, Ramses Barden... Every wide receiver over 6'4 to come out since 2005 has been compared to Jackson and the fact of the matter is, a lot of these guys who absolutely dominated college football, weren't anything in the pros, so there is a lot of hesitation there. Limas Sweed probably posted numbers that Evans won't come close to touching, so it's not just about combine performances, but about whther scouts feel he can get separation at the next level or not. I'm as big an SEC fan that you'll find on these boards and as of now, you just don't see Evans beating a lot of press man or getting separation, simply because he doesn't have to.  Now, I've seen him take a couple of screen and slant passes to the house and pick up some very big first downs on some good route running, but he's doing most of his damage on broken plays and outrunning non-nfl-caliber safeties for big gains. 

Cooks is a phenomenal prospect as is Matthews, but Sammy Watkins and his 9.71 yards after the catch is the most explosive receiver in college football that I've seen. Marqise Lee is an athletic freak as are OB Jr. and Jarvis Landry, all of who are explosive in their own right, but just from everythign I've seen, none of them top Watkins. Now, I don't think we're going to be able to land Watkins, so I'm not gonna harp on that too much, but any of the other 5 guys mentioned I believe are going to be very good pros. Not sure how I'd rank them as I keep flip-flopping between Watkins and Lee, but I would be happy with any of them.

My thoughts exactly.  I've seen him drop a ton of throws.  No way I want him anywhere near the Jets.

My thoughts are you haven't watched too many Broncos games. The last thing in the world Eric Decker has are sure hands.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

Decker has caught 64% of his targets and ranks 14th in receiving. He has caught the same % as Marshall and way higher than A.J and Calvin. I guess you guys only tune in when he drops a ball, 'cause he's pretty sure handed

Tate's the best of the group and would be a perfect fit here imo. He's gotten better every season too.

Hopefully, Idzik has a strong relationship with him and can lure him here. I like his toughness, and, best of all he's a ND alumn.

Hopefully he has heard how much guys like playing for Rex and how Marty likes to throw the rock.

Hopefully, Idzik has a strong relationship with him and can lure him here. I like his toughness, and, best of all he's a ND alumn.

Hopefully he has heard how much guys like playing for Rex and how Marty likes to throw the rock.

He'd be a great signing. Shouldnt cost too much and has his best football ahead of him. This season has been a nice treat so far...but this offseason is Idziks Super Bowl.

Calvin Johnson is a good route runner. I just want to say that. 

Agreed. Very good route runner. You can be the biggest athletic freak there is, but if you are consistently rounding off your routes or tipping to dbacks what you're going to run, that sh*t will get picked by any veteran who breaks down film well. Yes, CJ makes a lot of plays over the top of other dbacks, but it's not like he's rookie Randy Moss just running fly patterns on broken plays all day.

Calvin Johnson is a good route runner. I just want to say that.

He is, I used that as a reference because he isn't the best route runner in the league either, but is by far the best WR in the league. If he ran routes like a Wes Welker you would have to put 4 guys on him instead of 3 lol.

Don't think Decker is good, physical guy but Manning makes him 'better'

BullSh!t. Then Demarius Thomas and Welker are also only products of Peyton....

Graham and Gronk must stink then, because only Brees and Brady have made them better.

Give credit when due. The Jets would jump at the chance to have a Decker on their team.

Only question would be if they could afford the contract that other teams are willing to throw at him.

If Wallace got $60 mil..... then Decker is worth a 6 yr/ $80 mil contract

only skill player worth that kind of money is jimmy graham, and I think the saints will keep him anyway

I really don't see idzik going with "WRapalooza" this year.  lots of peeps gonna be disappointed around here

only skill player worth that kind of money is jimmy graham, and I think the saints will keep him anyway

I really don't see idzik going with "WRapalooza" this year.  lots of peeps gonna be disappointed around here

Agreed Larz! All I was trying to imply is that Decker is a fine WR and people shouldn't discredit him because he's playing with an all-time great QB. Peyton is very demanding, and only receivers with high football IQ's can play with a guy like that.

Evans isnt on the same planet athletically as Megatron. Johnson's a once in a lifetime type of talent. Randy Moss is the only guy with that type of size who was more athletic, that I've seen.

I saw a mock that had us taking Evans. I agree, he's impossible to project here because of Manziel. In all the A&M games I've watched, I think I've seen him make one catch that wasn't off of a broken play.

BullSh!t. Then Demarius Thomas and Welker are also only products of Peyton....

Graham and Gronk must stink then, because only Brees and Brady have made them better.

Give credit when due. The Jets would jump at the chance to have a Decker on their team.

Only question would be if they could afford the contract that other teams are willing to throw at him.

I totally disagree.  I think you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rating Decker.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

Decker has caught 64% of his targets and ranks 14th in receiving. He has caught the same % as Marshall and way higher than A.J and Calvin. I guess you guys only tune in when he drops a ball, 'cause he's pretty sure handed

You're looking at a chart and assuming that all targets that aren't caught are from drops.  They are not remotely the same thing.  Look here for official drops:  http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Eric Decker has dropped 7 passes (tied for the most in the NFL) on his 75 targets.  When you consider how pinpoint-accurate Peyton Manning has been, if you're "tuning in" to these games, that is insanity. His drop percentage is a gaudy 9.3% and that's nearly 50% higher than Brandon Marshall's (6.5%).  Note that Decker basically never gets double-teamed with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, and Julius Thomas always on the field at the same time; he's dropping the ball at this rate in single coverage.  What would he do when teams can afford to put a 2nd guy on (or even near) him?

In addition to those 7 drops, he's also fumbled twice this year and was called for PI twice.  Even if you want to count all "official" non-drops as uncatchable (ludicrously pretend none were his fault that they weren't caught), then you're talking about:

49 receptions + 7 drops + 2 offensive PI calls (don't get counted in stat tallies) = 58 obviously-catchable passes thrown his way.  

He screwed up on 11 of those 58 passes (7 drops, 2 fumbles, 2 OPIs).  That is a disgusting f*ckup-rate of about 20% on obviously-catchable passes.  Now consider those are generous numbers because they don't count even somewhat-difficult catch attempts as true drops (and he's definitely got those) or times he may have run the wrong route.  Further consider Geno Smith isn't nearly as accurate as Peyton Manning.

Pass on this butterfingers. 

I do not want any of those players or Andre Johnson. And of course looks like we will take ourselves out of the running for Watkins or Evans unfortunately. Lee may drop to us but idk how i feel about him, he is basically a faster more versatile kerley but without as good hands, plus he's been injured. Depending on where we pick, I would like Ebron. If rex had his way though I bet he'd jump for another player to finish his masterpiece, an OLB, prob Vic Beasley.

I do not want any of those players or Andre Johnson. And of course looks like we will take ourselves out of the running for Watkins or Evans unfortunately. Lee may drop to us but idk how i feel about him, he is basically a faster more versatile kerley but without as good hands, plus he's been injured. Depending on where we pick, I would like Ebron. If rex had his way though I bet he'd jump for another player to finish his masterpiece, an OLB, prob Vic Beasley.

Why would signing one WR take them out of Watkins or Evans if either or both are that good? 

I'm curious why you wouldn't want Andre Johnson.  Great player.  Great character and citizen.  Still young enough that he could play 4-5 more years.  He could help the Jets win a SB or two in that time.  It is looking like the chances for the Jets to get a great WR prospect in next year's draft are fading rapidly.  Do you really want to go into 2014 with the same WRs as this year (less Holmes)?

I'm curious why you wouldn't want Andre Johnson.  Great player.  Great character and citizen.  Still young enough that he could play 4-5 more years.  He could help the Jets win a SB or two in that time.  It is looking like the chances for the Jets to get a great WR prospect in next year's draft are fading rapidly.  Do you really want to go into 2014 with the same WRs as this year (less Holmes)?

Andre Johnson is too ugly.  We already have Calvin Pace.

I do believe Johnson has a good amount left in the tank (2-3 seasons at this level i think) but since he is at this current state of his career, this will be his last big contract and I bet he will make any team overpay for his services. Some will be able to afford it but personally, I'm looking into bringing in new young blood that doesnt cost as much. I do see what youre saying though, we may be forced to spend the money on a receiver since we are taking ourselves out of the running for the two studs Evans and Watkins. To be honest though, if we spend any large amounts of money in the season..you are correct, I hope it goes toward getting an elite receiver. I just dont personally like any of the ones that are available. Id rather honestly lose a 3rd (we have two) and move up in the first round to get Evans or Watkins rather than spend on a big contract with these receivers. 

I do believe Johnson has a good amount left in the tank (2-3 seasons at this level i think) but since he is at this current state of his career, this will be his last big contract and I bet he will make any team overpay for his services. Some will be able to afford it but personally, I'm looking into bringing in new young blood that doesnt cost as much. I do see what youre saying though, we may be forced to spend the money on a receiver since we are taking ourselves out of the running for the two studs Evans and Watkins. To be honest though, if we spend any large amounts of money in the season..you are correct, I hope it goes toward getting an elite receiver. I just dont personally like any of the ones that are available. Id rather honestly lose a 3rd (we have two) and move up in the first round to get Evans or Watkins rather than spend on a big contract with these receivers. 

We still have a shot at Marqise Lee, I'm not to sold on Evans, kind of seems like a tight end to me. But then again, Fitz ran a 4.63, so who knows, iffy prospect for me. Although it's likely not going to matter because he probably won't fall to us anyway, Lee on the other hand, we got a shot at.

Thanks.  I understand where you're coming from, and in general agree with that approach.  It's just that Johnson is such a special player and he could speed the timetable up for the Jets significantly and be huge in helping Geno develop.  The thing is that with drafted WRs, it's not at all uncommon for them to take at least a year, if not 2-3 years to develop fully.  Think of what it would be like if the Jets signed Johnson AND traded up or somehow got an elite WR in the draft.  Think of what that player could learn from Johnson, and with Johnson at #1, that other player wouldn't have the pressure to contribute immediately.  He could either play the #2 spot until Johnson retired, then slide into the #1 spot, of if he needed some work on route running or other fundamentals could even sit for part of the season without controversy or pressure.

Archived