Go with Simms until he has a crap game

Matt39

And if Simms stinks it up.....so what. I think at this point you need to try something different. 

Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms.  That's not "trying something different".  It's the same sh*t as always.  Backup QB gets glorified by stupid fan base.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms.  That's not "trying something different".  It's the same sh*t as always./

I dont see how any of these guys are related other than being backups.

Last year I was happy to see Mccelroy get a shot. Sanchez didnt deserve to be out there anymore. 

Tell us why please. How do you know Simms would be worse than the worst statistical game a QB has had this season?

yeah my agenda is to watch Jets victories. Crazy, I know.

For all Geno's faults, he won us 5 games.  Matt Simms will go out there, complete about 50 % of his throws, and give us nothing.  Geno is clearly a boom or bust guy.  At least he booms sometimes.  If you want victories, Geno, as bad as he's been, gives us the best chance.  Matt Simms is just awful.

I dont see how any of these guys are related other than being backups.

Last year I was happy to see Mccelroy get a shot. Sanchez didnt deserve to be out there anymore. 

They're all SH**TY backups who are elevated to God status the moment our starter plays lousy.  It's stupid.

Geno is not the starter, he was never officially given the job, and recently he's played poorly enough to lose it. He's not getting better and even in his "Signature" wins he's been bad. Really bad. When's the last good game Geno had? ATL week 5 (the falcons are 2-8 by the way).

Geno Smith is 2nd in INTs (1st in Pick 6s) and 32nd in QB rating, Matt Simms literally can't be worse.

Payton Manning threw 28 INTS his rookie year. Please can we just relax with this nonsense, the WR corps has been avg at best.

For all Geno's faults, he won us 5 games.  Matt Simms will go out there, complete about 50 % of his throws, and give us nothing.  Geno is clearly a boom or bust guy.  At least he booms sometimes.  If you want victories, Geno, as bad as he's been, gives us the best chance.  Matt Simms is just awful.

Geno won us 5 games. Jeeze. If that's the case he's also lost us 5 games.

They're all SH**TY backups who are elevated to God status the moment our starter plays lousy.  It's stupid.

Literally no one is doing that. Simms is the name of the player that should be substituted in because the current guy has clearly hit a wall and is handing opposing teams points.

btw if Kellen Clemens were on the Jets now he'd be the best QB on the roster. by far...

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/3177/clemens-gives-rams-chance-to-win-grow

LOL yeah right.  They have the best pass-rushing DL behind the Chiefs, Tavon Austin takes short passes and kick returns to the house, and they finally have a running game (Zac Stacy).  That's why they're winning games. 

How is someone "officially" given starter status? Is an "S" sewn on their jersey? Or do they s tart games?

this seems like a really bright and intelligent response but it's dead ass wrong. Quarterback starters are named by the coaches, in public, as the starter. That never happened for Geno. Jeff Fisher "named" Kellen Clemens the starter last week, for example. Many times the Jets coaches have had the opportunity to name geno the starter and they always passed on that opportunity. 

this seems like a really bright and intelligent response but it's dead ass wrong. Quarterback starters are named by the coaches, in public, as the starter. That never happened for Geno. Jeff Fisher "named" Kellen Clemens the starter last week, for example. Many times the Jets coaches have had the opportunity to name geno the starter and they always passed on that opportunity.

You want a presser for the naming of the qb?

You want a presser for the naming of the qb?

they have pressers every week. they are saved in video format on the Jets site. for the first few weeks of the year the press asked Rex if Geno was the official starter and he never took the opportunity to confirm it. 

I guess we know why.

I have no idea what Simms will be. Neither do the Ravens. The Ravens want Geno to play Sunday. 

Dude, what you're suggesting is ridiculous.  What if Matt Simms plays great on Sunday?

Then what?  You start him the following Sunday?

What if that following Sunday he throws 4 picks?  Then what?  You go back to Geno?  And then back and forth, back and forth

This is totally and utterly illogical.

You're asking for a QB carousel in the middle of a playoff run.

Its crazy talk bro.

Dude, what you're suggesting is ridiculous.  What if Matt Simms plays great on Sunday?

What if that following Sunday he throws 4 picks?  Then what?  You go back to Geno?  And then back and forth, back and forth

Its crazy talk bro.

We're the only team in the league in the playoff hunt getting outright negative play from the QB position. We've gone back and forth all season- what does it matter if we change QB's? This season has already been one giant rollercoaster.

Its crazy talk bro.

its called accountability and every football team should have a certain amount of it. 

it never seemed right to many of us that Mark Sanchez got a job handed to him that he never earned and didn't have to fight for... meanwhile the rest of the team had to compete every week to keep their jobs. they are doing the same with Geno Smith right now. In a fair world he would be judged on his merits (not what we hope he becomes) and he'd have a place on the depth chart commensurate with his play on the field. 

they have pressers every week. they are saved in video format on the Jets site. for the first few weeks of the year the press asked Rex if Geno was the official starter and he never took the opportunity to confirm it. 

I guess we know why.

Geno wasn't named the starter for week 1?

We're the only team in the league in the playoff hunt getting outright negative play from the QB position. We've gone back and forth all season- what does it matter if we change QB's? This season has already been one giant rollercoaster.

You have more sense than this.  You're asking for an absolute disaster.  

You want a circus environment back, this suggestion is the perfect route. 

its called accountability and every football team should have a certain amount of it. 

it never seemed right to many of us that Mark Sanchez got a job handed to him that he never earned and didn't have to fight for... meanwhile the rest of the team had to compete every week to keep their jobs. they are doing the same with Geno Smith right now. In a fair world he would be judged on his merits (not what we hope he becomes) and he'd have a place on the depth chart commensurate with his abilities.

His merits have him 5-5 with his team in the 6 seed.

I'm not taking it further with you on this subject, you're way too agenda driven to talk any logic.

I guess we know why.

So being a starter, doesn't necessarily make you a starting qb? Those are the lines we are drawing.

Something akin to producing a web site that analyzes pro prospects, doesn't necessarily make you a player personnel expert?

Some guy named Scott Tolzien played yesterday and didnt embarrass himself. Matt Mcgloin too. Putting in a guy with an actual name isnt as crazy as it seems. I'm not down on Geno at all yet- but the kid needs a break. Baltimore's defense is going to do the same thing Buffalo did and more. 

Handing other teams points to me is a circus more than anything.

No.  That's the game and the bed you make when you commit to a rookie QB.

5-5 is not circus.  Benching your starting QB at 5-5 is circus.

BTW, seeing what Simms did yesterday, I assure you, he'll be turning the ball over too...

So being a starter, doesn't necessarily make you a starting qb? Those are the lines we are drawing.

Something akin to producing a web site that analyzes pro prospects, doesn't necessarily make you a player personnel expert?

If i say yes to the second statement does that mean you agree with the first? 

BTW, seeing what Simms did yesterday, I assure you, he'll be turning the ball over too...

Benching the worst starting QB in the league is not a circus. There's a way the team can handle this and not look like boobs. No one would blame the Jets for going with someone else against Baltimore. It's not a slight against Geno at all and folks shouldnt take it that way. We knew we were throwing him into a rough spot.

Look around the league and backup/non drafted guys are coming in and playing decently. Geno needs a break, it's time. Baltimore will eat up on his tendencies. This isnt an Atlanta defense in a dome- this is a veteran unit that will smell blood the same way Buffalo did.

Let Simms go out there, at least Baltimore wont have film on the guy. There needs to be a change right now...and its not entirely Geno's fault. But he's hit a wall and there's no shame in sitting one out. Once you get the deer in headlight look its time to sit. If Simms sh*ts the bed they can go right back to him against Miami at home. Geno isnt getting the Sanchez treatment yet where the fans cant stand the sight of him. 

Agree 100 % .... When you look at the way Simms plays he has composure in the pocket, He steps up into the pocket, does not try to move out when there is no pressure, and he always adjusts his feet to STEP INTO THE PASS. He obviously has the arm to play in the NFL and make every throw so if he grows mentally and is able to run this offense like we've all seen flashes of he could very well stick as a starter. That bad pass in the end zone would have been completed but it was the only pass I saw that Simms did not step into and his read may have been just a slight bit slow allowing the defenders to react

All that being said he's going to have a bad stretch at some point if he gets to play. The Question is, will he limit it and not let it get out of control ? Geno and Sanchez both seemed to go off a cliff when things went bad rather than gaining composure. The bottom line is ALL of these QB's are playing with inferior talent and that has to be addressed this off season.

IMO the talent on our offense is so bad I'm still not sold that a lot of this is not the QB's fault. Adding players off of practice Squads and bringing them into a new offense can't be helping either even though those players have shown promise making some nice plays. If Simms steps in and plays well it would put that theory to rest. If he steps in and has the same exact issues that would make the talent a much bigger contributor to the failure than some might think. A rookie QB needs help to develop they are not going to step in like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning they need their skill players to make some plays for them and the Jets skill players NEVER make anything happen other than Chris Ivory

Benching the worst starting QB in the league is not a circus. There's a way the team can handle this and not look like boobs. No one would blame the Jets for going with someone else against Baltimore. It's not a slight against Geno at all and folks shouldnt take it that way. We knew we were throwing him into a rough spot.

Agree to disagree.  I think benching a rookie QB who (whether you credit or not) has his team currently in the 6th seed when they were predicted to be picking top 3, is circus like idiocy.  No offense.

Again, the carousel you're asking to create never turns out well.  Ever.

You like it, I think its ridiculous.  

///high five!!!

Agree to disagree.  I think benching a rookie QB who (whether you credit or not) has his team currently in the 6th seed when they were predicted to be picking top 3, is circus like idiocy.  No offense.

Again, the carousel you're asking to create never turns out well.  Ever.

You like it, I think its ridiculous.  

///high five!!!

This season has already been a carousel. 

What exactly did you see yesterday from Simms other than one bad pass and a few passes knocked down ? The guy seems to know how to play in the Pocket and Geno has no earthly Idea WTF to do in the pocket . That in itself will be a huge Improvement. Geno seemed to be making some strides in previous games but as I told you in earlier threads this year He will revert back at the slightest hint of pressure and he has . Honestly in the pocket he may be as bad or worse than Mark Sanchez who at least early on had good footwork and knew how to step into a pass.

Not at the QB position...which is what you're asking for...which is a recipe for disaster.

5-5 and the 6 seed.  

<3

Dude you know sometimes changing a QB can spark a team we've seen it more often than not . Geno is in a bad place right now and the Ravens will make his life a living hell. Are you saying its good for a rookie to keep getting the beatdown causing him to revert back to bad habits is something you want to see ? Or does the kid just need to step backl a bit before he gets completely ruined ?

Personally, besides what is the politically correct thing to say Like I did above I think Geno is Horrific and will never be an NFL QB JMO

What exactly did you see yesterday from Simms other than one bad pass and a few passes knocked down ? The guy seems to know how to play in the Pocket and Geno has no earthly Idea WTF to do in the pocket . That in itself will be a huge Improvement. Geno seemed to be making some strides in previous games but as I told you in earlier threads this year He will revert back at the slightest hint of pressure and he has . Honestly in the pocket he may be as bad or worse than Mark Sanchez who at least early on had good footwork and knew how to step into a pass.

Did you miss that pathetic terrible INT that was dropped that he threw into triple coverage in the endzone?  That was a sh*t burger at its finest. 

He leaves the pocket to early bud...dont know what you're watching.  Both times he's come in he's done that.

Dude you know sometimes changing a QB can spark a team we've seen it more often than not . Geno is in a bad place right now and the Ravens will make his life a living hell. Are you saying its good for a rookie to keep getting the beatdown causing him to revert back to bad habits is something you want to see ? Or does the kid just need to step backl a bit before he gets completely ruined ?

Personally, besides what is the politically correct thing to say Like I did above I think Geno is Horrific and will never be an NFL QB JMO

Holy sh*t.

I cant believe I'm arguing with people about starting a QB carousel for a team that is currently 5-5 and in control of their own destiny with a rookie QB on a team who was predicted to pick top 3.

I leave now.  This was fun.  But I'm losing brain cells. 

Archived