•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hill benched

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Kleckineau

Kleckineau

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

About time no?

http://sports.yahoo....35998--nfl.html

New York Jets second-year wide receiver Stephen Hill has been demoted with reduced playing time this week against theBaltimore Ravens, coach Rex Ryan announced.

Hill had his second consecutive game without a catch in Sunday's blowout loss to the Buffalo Bills.

Hill has played 104 of a possible 121 snaps in the past two weeks.

Ryan acknowledged earlier this week that Hill's playing time could be reduced. Hill was made aware Wednesday that he had lost his starting job to David Nelson.

"I just got note of it today (Wednesday) -- that some would be cut down," Hill said, via the New York Daily News. "Hey, look, I have nothing to feel about it. That's big man's decisions. I just have to do what I do every day, come out here and play hard."

Ryan was critical of Hill on Wednesday..................

"20 years ago, we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don’t let Kevin Bacon die.” Bill Murray

#2 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,517 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

The Jets have accountability at every position*

* = except quarterback

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#3 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 36,073 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

* = except quarterback

My initial thought as well.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#4 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,715 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

MEGATROLOLOLOLOL
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#5 dbatesman

dbatesman

Courage Boy

• Members
  • 9,330 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

* = except quarterback

#ExtendRex

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#6 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

#ExtendRex

I'd like to see the stats on how many times he was targeted, and how many of those throws were actually catchable.

I know GENO had like what? 8 completions the entire game last week, so I am in by no means exonerating HILL but a completed pass has TWO components, and if the first part is askew, then their is no second part. Just curious?
Posted Image

#7 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,517 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'd like to see the stats on how many times he was targeted, and how many of those throws were actually catchable.

I know GENO had like what? 8 completions the entire game last week, so I am in by no means exonerating HILL but a completed pass has TWO components, and if the first part is askew, then their is no second part. Just curious?

Hill was targeted 7 times last week for no receptions. prior to that 1 time against NO (again no receptions)

I am the leader of the Geno stinks bandwagon but it's probably ok that Hill sits this one out.

#8 MexiRoll6

MexiRoll6

Not very popular, apparently

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in tennesee

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

* = except quarterback

The Jets have NO accountability. Hill should have been addressed two weeks ago. Rex is slow as molasses in January when it comes to making this type of decision. He still likes Kyle Wilson. Please tell me why this guy is STILL on the roster when his next play will be his FIRST. He is a fourth year player who has yet to learn to turn his head and 'locate the football'. Remember a TE from two years ago named Matt Mulligan and how many times he jumped offside? 12 times. Yet Rex kept trotting this douche back out there only to do the same thing. Yeah, that is accountability by the Rex standard.

Where have you gone Walt Michaels?

#9 MexiRoll6

MexiRoll6

Not very popular, apparently

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in tennesee

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

#ExtendRex

Extend Rex to the NFL Network where his 'expertise' will be appreciated more greatly than it is by fans of the Jets. Face it dude, you Rex apologists are getting to be in the minority more and more. See how many more turn on him after Sunday.

Where have you gone Walt Michaels?

#10 joewillie78

joewillie78

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hill was targeted 7 times last week for no receptions. prior to that 1 time against NO (again no receptions)

I am the leader of the Geno stinks bandwagon but it's probably ok that Hill sits this one out.

Oh no, Its fine with me also, but I just wanted to see the stats and make my own conclusions.

OK,In the New Orleans game he was targeted but 1 time, so does this mean?

1. They ran the ball great in that game and had no need to throw down the field to Hill

or

2. He couldnt get separation, and thus was never targeted

I would assume a little of both

BUT, against Buffalo, he was targeted 7 times and had NO receptions which leads to these hypothesis

1. To be targeted that many times with NO receptions, I can only conclude that the passes were poorly thrown and uncatchable or He dropped a few. Did he have any drops?

So, if He was not targeted in the NO game because of the run game, and the passes were poorly thrown in the Buffalo game, then I see no reason to bench him as it wasnt his fault for the lack of production.

If however, he was not targeted because he couldnt get seperation in NO, and he dropped passes in the Buffalo game, then obviously he should be benched for lack of separation.

Also, if a guy with 4.3 speed in his 2nd year, still cant run routes and get separation, then I would wonder about the capabilities of our coaches, in particular, our receivers coach, who is?
Posted Image

#11 Kleckineau

Kleckineau

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hill is soft. He made no attempt to turn into a DB on Geno's end zone int last week. Of course it was a terrible pass but he basically just watched like he didn't give a crap.

"20 years ago, we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don’t let Kevin Bacon die.” Bill Murray

#12 joewillie78

joewillie78

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

The Jets have NO accountability. Hill should have been addressed two weeks ago. Rex is slow as molasses in January when it comes to making this type of decision. He still likes Kyle Wilson. Please tell me why this guy is STILL on the roster when his next play will be his FIRST. He is a fourth year player who has yet to learn to turn his head and 'locate the football'. Remember a TE from two years ago named Matt Mulligan and how many times he jumped offside? 12 times. Yet Rex kept trotting this douche back out there only to do the same thing. Yeah, that is accountability by the Rex standard.

Lack of accountability is a good reference point to bring up and never was more apparent than this past week in Buffalo. I have addressed this issue which absolutely just about caused me to break my TV, but its worth mentioning again.

The Jets were down 3-0 in the second quarter and had just stopped Buffalo on the Jets 38 yard line on a 3rd and 6, brining up 4th and 6, so too long for a buffalo field goal so they were forced to punt, then came a blatant example of LACK OF DISCIPLINE on this team as LEGER DOUZABLE inexplicably causes a neutral zone infraction, and now 4th and 6 turns into 4th and 1, and given the field postion, obviously Buffalo now goes for it, makes the 1st and then Millner gets burned for a TD. My thought was just typical of a RYAN coached team and what will be the "punishment" if any for Douzable?

As I stated before, If Parcells were coach and that happened, Leger would have walked home from Buffalo and then been CUT. Of course if Parcells were coach, that wouldnt have occurred but thats another issue for another day.

Those simple mistakes have plauged this team for the past 5 years and they just cant be tolerated.
Posted Image

#13 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Next year never comes.

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

* = except quarterback

The second that Rex stated that without question Smith would be starting after the Buffalo game, is when I would have fired him. That statement showed that he is strictly emotional and not logical as well as not even wanting Geno to have a doubt in his mind. If Geno gives us the best chance of winning, then everyone in NYJ management should be fired from the president to the towel boy. Geno has given us zero chances of winning when he is not bailed out by the defense or running game. We had to win a few games in spite of some terrible interceptions. 

Rex needs to go. Perhaps he will be much better at his second coaching stint when he realizes what Parcells did. Your players are NOT your friends.

Edited by DonCorleone, 22 November 2013 - 12:06 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dont Feel I have to wipe out Everyone Tom -- Just my enemies."

#14 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 47,391 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Extend Rex to the NFL Network where his 'expertise' will be appreciated more greatly than it is by fans of the Jets. Face it dude, you Rex apologists are getting to be in the minority more and more. See how many more turn on him after Sunday.

dbatesman is totes a Rex apologist.  Totes.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#15 CotcheryifyouCan

CotcheryifyouCan

J-E-T-S

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Actually think Wilsons not playing too bad.  Maybe because Cro and Milliner have been awful but he hasnt been as bad as recent years

#16 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Soooo, I guess this thread is OBE?

Stephen Hill expects to start for NY Jets on Sunday Marty Mornhinweg says the Jets are trying to limit his snaps in practice to keep him fresh and well-rested for Sunday's game against the Ravens. By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

It looks as if Stephen Hill will be starting after all. After what appears to be a miscommunication in which Hill seemed to suggest his snaps would be cut, it looks like the only thing being cut is his practice reps. In order to keep Hill fresh and well-rested, Marty Mornhinweg said the Jets were trying to limit his snaps in practice, but said he suspects Hill will still start.

“He’s got a bunch of nicks,” the offensive coordinator said. “We’re trying to help him help this team and to get him to the game at the top of his game, and I don’t think I’ve done that in the past couple weeks.”

There was speculation Hill would be benched after Rex Ryan said he considered pulling him from the starting lineup after the second-year receiver failed to make a catch in two games.

#17 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

DonCorleone, on 22 Nov 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

The second that Rex stated that without question Smith would be starting after the Buffalo game, is when I would have fired him. That statement showed that he is strictly emotional and not logical as well as not even wanting Geno to have a doubt in his mind. If Geno gives us the best chance of winning, then everyone in NYJ management should be fired from the president to the towel boy. Geno has given us zero chances of winning when he is not bailed out by the defense or running game. We had to win a few games in spite of some terrible interceptions. 

Rex needs to go. Perhaps he will be much better at his second coaching stint when he realizes what Parcells did. Your players are NOT your friends.

Are you at practice and see how the mighty Simms is performing? Maybe you prefer an ancient Garrard? Rex knows his job is on the line and I highly doubt if either backup QB is showing anything in practice that he would play Geno instead - unless Idz behind the scenes is telling him to do so (which is a good possibility).

The other statement about firing everyone because of Geno is ridiculous. He is a ROOKIE in a rebuilding year. What honestly do you expect? If you don't play him, how do you expect an honest assessment after the end of the year? Too many people are getting caught up in the playoff hopes and/or get too excitied about watching Ratliff, er Simms in mop up duty.

#18 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Oh no, Its fine with me also, but I just wanted to see the stats and make my own conclusions.

OK,In the New Orleans game he was targeted but 1 time, so does this mean?

1. They ran the ball great in that game and had no need to throw down the field to Hill

or

2. He couldnt get separation, and thus was never targeted

I would assume a little of both

BUT, against Buffalo, he was targeted 7 times and had NO receptions which leads to these hypothesis

1. To be targeted that many times with NO receptions, I can only conclude that the passes were poorly thrown and uncatchable or He dropped a few. Did he have any drops?

So, if He was not targeted in the NO game because of the run game, and the passes were poorly thrown in the Buffalo game, then I see no reason to bench him as it wasnt his fault for the lack of production.

If however, he was not targeted because he couldnt get seperation in NO, and he dropped passes in the Buffalo game, then obviously he should be benched for lack of separation.

Also, if a guy with 4.3 speed in his 2nd year, still cant run routes and get separation, then I would wonder about the capabilities of our coaches, in particular, our receivers coach, who is?

Sanjay Lal. I was thinking the same thing. He seems to be a dud. The guy he brought over from the Raiders didn't do too well either.

#19 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Next year never comes.

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Are you at practice and see how the mighty Simms is performing? Maybe you prefer an ancient Garrard? Rex knows his job is on the line and I highly doubt if either backup QB is showing anything in practice that he would play Geno instead - unless Idz behind the scenes is telling him to do so (which is a good possibility).

The other statement about firing everyone because of Geno is ridiculous. He is a ROOKIE in a rebuilding year. What honestly do you expect? If you don't play him, how do you expect an honest assessment after the end of the year? Too many people are getting caught up in the playoff hopes and/or get too excitied about watching Ratliff, er Simms in mop up duty.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Did you not read " If Geno gives us the best chance of winning, then everyone in NYJ management should be fired from the president to the towel boy. Geno has given us zero chances of winning when he is not bailed out by the defense or running game. We had to win a few games in spite of some terrible interceptions. ' This is not a rebuilding year as far as Rex's job security is concerned. If Idz is telling him what to do, the Rex should walk away. To play or not to play a particular player is the decision of the head coach, if he cannot be entrusted to make his own decisions, he should not be coaching. I did not have to be at practice to see how deplorable Geno is as a player...Never mind as a qb.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dont Feel I have to wipe out Everyone Tom -- Just my enemies."

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,842 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Meh, let the wind blow again. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#21 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

* = except quarterback

You don't switch-in and switch-out a rookie QB every game. That's just not the way it works. Especially not when you have no credible backups to work with.

#22 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,517 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

btw i dug this up about Hill vs BUF

Despite receiving seven targets, Hill was held without a reception for the second straight game. Hill’s production is plagued by inconsistent quarterback play. Five of Hill’s seven targets were overthrown as Geno Smith was unable deliver accurate passes under duress. Hill’s other two targets were underthrown as Buffalo’s defensive lineman tipped passes at the line of scrimmage.

Edited by bitonti, 22 November 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#23 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,500 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

What a dick. It's his fault Hill sux
Posted Image

#24 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,351 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Lack of accountability is a good reference point to bring up and never was more apparent than this past week in Buffalo. I have addressed this issue which absolutely just about caused me to break my TV, but its worth mentioning again.

The Jets were down 3-0 in the second quarter and had just stopped Buffalo on the Jets 38 yard line on a 3rd and 6, brining up 4th and 6, so too long for a buffalo field goal so they were forced to punt, then came a blatant example of LACK OF DISCIPLINE on this team as LEGER DOUZABLE inexplicably causes a neutral zone infraction, and now 4th and 6 turns into 4th and 1, and given the field postion, obviously Buffalo now goes for it, makes the 1st and then Millner gets burned for a TD. My thought was just typical of a RYAN coached team and what will be the "punishment" if any for Douzable?

As I stated before, If Parcells were coach and that happened, Leger would have walked home from Buffalo and then been CUT. Of course if Parcells were coach, that wouldnt have occurred but thats another issue for another day.

Those simple mistakes have plauged this team for the past 5 years and they just cant be tolerated.

Bill Parcells was undefeated here.  No player ever made a mistake on Bill Parcells led team.  Bill Parcells held Curtis Martin accountable for his performance in Denver.  Bill Parcells single handedly cost the Jets the playoffs with that Leon Johnson pass one year.  Infallible! You can complain about the play and the totality of permissiveness by Rex, but complaining that he didn't cut one guy who has outplayed his contract based on one play no matter how big, is going a bit far. 

dbatesman is totes a Rex apologist.  Totes.

Dierking too. 

Sanjay Lal. I was thinking the same thing. He seems to be a dud. The guy he brought over from the Raiders didn't do too well either.

He seems to be an improvement over Henry Ellard FWIW.  If the coaches change and the players keep sucking it is likely the players suck. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#25 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,715 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

btw i dug this up about Hill vs BUF

Seems legit
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users