Something must be wrong with Geno

MexiRoll6

The Jets usually go to war for one another like few teams, yet for some reason guys don't seem to want to make plays for Geno. I think he is a 'me guy' who has lost command of the offense. He is always commenting on how confident he is in his ability and is accountable, as Sanchez was. But, I think the team has gotten tired of QB's who take responsibility for bad play, but then do NOT improve on it. There was talk coming out of college that Geno was not well liked on his West Virginia team and he may have brought that abrasiveness to the Jets. Not a good move Geno because after what you have shown this season I doubt there will be much of a clamor for you by the rest of the NFL.

Geno has regressed mentally, not physically.

One that happens it is very hard to get that confidence back. He had no business starting from day one, he was not ready and the offense around him was nowhere near ready to carry the load of a rookie QB who did not even have his mechanics down.

Jet fans don't seem to realize how much of the QB position is mental. You have about 15 decisions to make in microseconds. Put a shred of doubt in their brain, it is nearly impossible.

I have watched two QB's regress under this regime, it is time to get some people in here who have a clue about offensive football and the QB position.

Not sure about this......comes also from work ethic and putting in the film time...the jets just suck.....Rex sucks....geno was not the starter ....he got the job because sancheese was hurt...is he any better....nope.

The play calling stinks!  MM is Schottenheimer II  we have 0 downfield pass plays regardless of the WRs being the worst in the NFL throw the ball downfield.

the Jets went pass heavy in the first half and it was all 3 and outs. It's not the play calling it's the players.

The play calling stinks!  MM is Schottenheimer II  we have 0 downfield pass plays regardless of the WRs being the worst in the NFL throw the ball downfield.

Kind of hard to throw downfield when you don't have time to pass.  Until a Jets QB can prove to beat the blitz, it's always going to be that way.   The entire jets offense is sh*t right now.

the Jets went pass heavy in the first half and it was all 3 and outs. It's not the play calling it's the players.

Its both. Kellen Winslow was the only one catching the ball and Rex kept taking him out of the game the WRs don't know how to run routes did you see the pathetic run after Nelson made that catch on the 5 all he had to do was cut in and there was the end zone instead he went out of bounds.

problem is geno can barely do anything except lock onto his primary read and pray that he's open and that he can throw an accurate pass on time if he is

Hes not being given all that much time have you noticed?  There were a few plays I guess called by MM where he ran 15 yards backwards to throw the ball 5 yards.

D-Brick isn't what he once was. Mangold I believe is still sulking about Sanchez Winters is bad the line was so much better with Willie Colon prior to his injury.

Hes not being given all that much time have you noticed?  There were a few plays I guess called by MM where he ran 15 yards backwards to throw the ball 5 yards.

D-Brick isn't what he once was. Mangold I believe is still sulking about Sanchez Winters is bad the line was so much better with Willie Colon prior to his injury.

When your O-Line is protecting for a 6-7 step drop and the QB drops 8-10, he has removed himself from the cone that is supposed to be his protection. Then he holds it forever. Not defending the line but they have their scheme and when Geno doesn't follow the plan, bad things happen.

problem is geno can barely do anything except lock onto his primary read and pray that he's open and that he can throw an accurate pass on time if he is

That is something everyone keys on - the QB's eyes. Against Baltimore he had a TD to Salas but the guy covering Hill came off his man because he saw Geno locked on to Salas. MM is very much part of the problem. You see teams like NE and Denver that beat you simply with formations. Guys are open because of legit picks and screens. Two yard passes become 15 yard gains, yet the Jets line up in the same formations all the time with a FB and RB, TE and two WR's. They are NOT hard to figure out.

That is something everyone keys on - the QB's eyes. Against Baltimore he had a TD to Salas but the guy covering Hill came off his man because he saw Geno locked on to Salas. MM is very much part of the problem. You see teams like NE and Denver that beat you simply with formations. Guys are open because of legit picks and screens. Two yard passes become 15 yard gains, yet the Jets line up in the same formations all the time with a FB and RB, TE and two WR's. They are NOT hard to figure out.

I think having Brady and Manning has just a little to do with that.

Must be fun for MM, trying to make a passing offense that for the most part is based on a 5-step drop and then getting the ball out, with a completely inept QB who seemingly lacks the ability to learn. 

I think that's on Geno.  I've never seen a QB flush out so far from the LOS in the face of pressure or on a roll out in my life.  It makes zero sense to call that and I dont think Marty is coaching him to do that.

Geno is just not good.  Bottom line.

That said, you're right.  The OL is terrible.  Winters and Colon cant pass block to save their lives and Geno cant read the D to make the proper line adjustments.  Sanchez had the same problem and I know Mangold took over that responsibility...wonder if its all on Geno and that's part of the problem.  They cant pick up the blitz, like, at all.  It's sad.

I don't know about anyone else, but I completely expected a rookie, from a spread offense, who had never taken a snap under center in his career, with this offensive line, and these WRs, to be awesome!

Haha, I expected bad but not this bad.  He's missing wide open receivers by 20 feet...then again, at least he's seeing them now.  Maybe he is improving.

:suicide2:

I think that's on Geno.  I've never seen a QB flush out so far from the LOS in the face of pressure or on a roll out in my life.  It makes zero sense to call that and I dont think Marty is coaching him to do that.

Geno is just not good.  Bottom line.

That said, you're right.  The OL is terrible.  Winters and Colon cant pass block to save their lives and Geno cant read the D to make the proper line adjustments.  Sanchez had the same problem and I know Mangold took over that responsibility...wonder if its all on Geno and that's part of the problem.  They cant pick up the blitz, like, at all.  It's sad.

Looks like you will be the president of a nonexistent Santonio Holmes next season bro. I expect him to be one of the FIRST casualties of the purge that is to come. Holmes, Sanchez, Hill, Ducasse, Wilson, Nelson, Goodson, Obushay, Campbell and Bohannon are ALL dead weight on a team going nowhere fast. Geno and Milliner deserve a season with a competent HC to see if they can turn things around.

Haha, I expected bad but not this bad.  He's missing wide open receivers by 20 feet...then again, at least he's seeing them now.  Maybe he is improving.

:suicide2:

Yeah, I don't have a ton of hope for him.  I just don't think a guy who just isn't prepared for a normal NFL offense has a shot in this debacle.  He'll get another shot, but we need to bring in more options as well.  Hope for the Rivers/Brees situation.

Looks like you will be the president of a nonexistent Santonio Holmes next season bro. I expect him to be one of the FIRST casualties of the purge that is to come. Holmes, Sanchez, Hill, Ducasse, Wilson, Nelson, Goodson, Obushay, Campbell and Bohannon are ALL dead weight on a team going nowhere fast. Geno and Milliner deserve a season with a competent HC to see if they can turn things around.

No.  I'll pick another player on the Jets.  Being the president of a non-existent player would be stupid.

Yeah, I don't have a ton of hope for him.  I just don't think a guy who just isn't prepared for a normal NFL offense has a shot in this debacle.  He'll get another shot, but we need to bring in more options as well.  Hope for the Rivers/Brees situation.

Probably right...doesnt excuse his play though.  He's really really bad.  Like worse than Sanchez bad. 

Sure. But the talent on both of those offenses have a lot to do with it as well. Brady wasnt very good until he got his guys back this season.

I referring to the fact of  the guy covering Hill came off his man because he saw Geno locked on to Salas. Brady and Manning don't do that too often.

My take on Geno is this.

1) He is a baby - his draft antics were hard to read. Was he pouting like Sanchez or competitive like Aaron Rodger? Turns out, based on his antics so far this season, he is more like Sanchez

2) He is not a leader - It was talked about by his college teammates and it turns out to be true. Never do you see him directing on the field, ever or even talking to anyone on the sidelines.

3) His skills need development - want to know why we ran the ball better when Simms was in there? Because Simms went from under center. The whole world knows we are in shotgun because that is all Geno can really run. That limits the offense considerably. It works in college when your skill guys are so overwhelmingly good. Not so much in the NFL. He also is inaccurate, especially so under pressure because he is scared to get hit, which brings me to my next point.

4) He is a pussy - Some guys can play with 11 guys capable and wanting to take your head off, some can't. You take far less hits in college out of the shotgun, throwing screen passes. Even without that you never really know until the player plays in an NFL game. When he gets scared his footwork goes to hell.

It will take 2-3 years of developing him and by not playing. Having him get beat up more is not the answer. He really needs to sit for 2-3 years and learn under someone. Unfortunately that someone is not on the roster.

3) His skills need development - want to know why we ran the ball better when Simms was in there? Because Simms went from under center. The whole world knows we are in shotgun because that is all Geno can really run. That limits the offense considerably.  

such a good point

Geno has regressed mentally, not physically.

One that happens it is very hard to get that confidence back. He had no business starting from day one, he was not ready and the offense around him was nowhere near ready to carry the load of a rookie QB who did not even have his mechanics down.

Jet fans don't seem to realize how much of the QB position is mental. You have about 15 decisions to make in microseconds. Put a shred of doubt in their brain, it is nearly impossible.

I have watched two QB's regress under this regime, it is time to get some people in here who have a clue about offensive football and the QB position.

That's what I have seen.  He was able to bounce back after bad games and looked very together.  Now he is assuming the official position of Jets QB's. FETAL

I think having Brady and Manning has just a little to do with that.

If you watch many of the good QBs,  especially Brady & Manning, they get rid of the ball quick.  A lot of the better QBs dump off to RBs, TEs, slot receivers, etc.  Hell, years ago Montana would dump it off and Rice, Taylor, Craig, etc would make catches on the run.    

The Jets don't have the players to do any of this as their RBs are useless when it comes to catching a pass or running a route and their WRs just stink, but the reality is it's also on Geno.  He has to get rid of the ball quickly, he has to learn formations, and so on.   He is a guy who threw the ball to a wide open WR who would run 80 yards in college.  A lot of guys are like that.  THey come from college where the WRs are wide open half the time or even more.    Suddenly when nobody is open, they can't figure it out.   Some learn and get better.  Some never do.     And then you have the mental issues.  Guys like VInce Young couldn't handle it. Ryan Leaf couldn't deal with it.  Russell didn't want to work hard.

Who knows where Geno lies in all of that mix, but the reality is a lot of players fail in the NFL because they were the 'man' for years and nobody challenged that.  And it's far worse when it comes to star QBs. They were the man in HS, were the big man on campus, put up big numbers in wins or losses.   And then they get drafted.    And then they aren't as good as they thought. Or they learn that they actually have to work harder than they've ever had to work in their lives.  Some guys adapt. Some guys never do.  At this point, Geno wasn't ready and is now on the Sanchez path.  Sanchez wasn't ready and was thrown to the mix.  And the Jets got lucky and won a few playoff games with him.   The Jets got lucky and won a few games with Geno this year.   And then reality set in.   The only difference is that the Jets had a better team back in 2009, but they were still an 8-8 team that needed the Colts to sit starters(Manning) and the Bengals to give up to even get into the playoffs.

Will Geno recover?   Who knows, but years like this require coaching changes for that to happen.  

The reason he hasn't much time besides the line being bad is Geno's doing. He has the slowest release I have seen in a very long time, is unable to complete timing passes, can't beat the blitz, makes bad reads constantly and throws much better to the opponent than his own receivers. Geno is quite simply a horrific qb. Any team can bring 8 or more men at the line and no fear Geno making them pay. When will you wake up?

Archived