Cano 10 years 240 mill from Seattle..wow!

Matt39

Good move by the Yankees in not trying to come close to that ridiculous deal.

Urbanmike, I think you're overreacting.  Cano was never a centerpiece player and he is getting centerpiece money from the Mariners.  Yanks can account for his missing bat.

Good move by the Yankees in not trying to come close to that ridiculous deal.

Urbanmike, I think you're overreacting.  Cano was never a centerpiece player and he is getting centerpiece money from the Mariners.  Yanks can account for his missing bat.

Cano was BY FAR the best player on the yankees. 

Cano was BY FAR the best player on the yankees. 

That is 100% true.

But he is still 31 yrs old in Dominican years, which means he's probably actually 35 yrs old.  He's not a $24 million a yr player. 

What 2b and 3b are there to get?

Original thought was the same as Faba's in Infante. I would take a look at Michael Young and see if he is willing to take a 2 year deal and prove that he can get back to his 2011 form. The guy can basically play anywhere on the field. Maybe they do something ridiculous like move Soriano back to 2nd base and play Gardner, Ellsbury and Ichiro in the OF. 

This is a whole new world for the Yankees and Yankee fans. They lose their best player to FA for the first time in what a zillion years ? They need a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman, bullpen help and probably a starting pitcher or two.

Cashman has alot of work to do in the next couple of weeks.

**** the Yankees, but good for them here. In three years when Cano is limping around the bases and people are talking about how poor lil Seattle is hamstrung by that contract, remember they have nobody to blame but themselves, the same way the Angels have nobody to blame but themselves over the Pujols deal.

He should have hired Jay Z

He would have got paid a boatload of money on the open market, but he wanted to stay in Boston and took less money to do it. He's not a selfish player and teammate.  He knows that if the Red Sox are to be competitive he can take less money to pay other guys.

Weren't the Yankees offering 7 years $175 million?

That's actually a million more per year than Seattle offered.

I'm getting the feeling Cano signed with Seattle so Jay Z could say he got Cano the third biggest contract in history.

I wonder if a team has tried to sign a player for a higher per year, but less total length (e.g. 4yrs-120 million)?  Try to sell them they will be a FA again with the chance to earn another big pay day.  Granted, the risk is all with the player.

He should have hired Jay Z

You cannot blame Cano for taking a 240 million dollar contract.  However, it is nice to see a player take less than he could have earned on the open market.

**** the Yankees, but good for them here. In three years when Cano is limping around the bases and people are talking about how poor lil Seattle is hamstrung by that contract, remember they have nobody to blame but themselves, the same way the Angels have nobody to blame but themselves over the Pujols deal.

This is a totally different situation imo.  The contracts and ages are the same, but that's where it ends.  Cano has been pretty durable throughout his career, Seattle isn't overpaying for Josh Hamilton or C.J. Wilson, and their revenues are going to increase a ton by virtue of having Cano and Root Sports.  Zduriencik is usually an idiot, but signing the top free agent was a good move imo.

This is a totally different situation imo. The contracts and ages are the same, but that's where it ends. Cano has been pretty durable throughout his career, Seattle isn't overpaying for Josh Hamilton or C.J. Wilson, and their revenues are going to increase a ton by virtue of having Cano and Root Sports. Zduriencik is usually an idiot, but signing the top free agent was a good move imo.

Winning increases revenue and Cano isn't making that team a competitor. He doesn't hustle now, on a contract year. What's that going to look like in 5+ years when he's playing infront of nobody, for nothing, in Seattle?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just found out about this. I had no idea that Cano was no longer a Yankee-I thought he'd be one for the rest of his career and become the next Yankee Captain. Yes, I am out of touch with baseball this year

He was never going to be captain. If you asked him to run to first to get his "C" he'd shrug it off and jog.

Archived