Calvin Pace...

AFJF

Is one sack away from a career-high of nine.  Would love to see us grab a legit speed rusning LB in the draft with one of our many picks.  The way that this D-line occupys blockers, a speedy OLB could have a field day.,

QB

WR

TE

OL

RB

CB

S

All of the above are positions of need for this team, and should be the focus of the front office over a pass rusher.

Yea, and with all those needs, at 6-7 let's fire the HC, how dare he only have 6 wins with all those needs!

Barnes was supposed to be that guy for us this year.  Was doing well before he was IRed for the year. I think he is signed for next year.

Thought he was on a 1-year deal (like most of the non-RB acquisitions were this past offseason) but you're right:  

3/18/2013: Signed a three-year, $4 million contract. The deal included a $900,000 signing bonus. Another $2 million is available through incentives. 2013: $750,000, 2014-2015: $1.2 million, 2016: Free Agent

QB

WR

TE

OL

RB

CB

S

All of the above are positions of need for this team, and should be the focus of the front office over a pass rusher.

Eh.  There are positions that tend to have to come from the draft and places where you can get by with FAs.  S will be a need, but do they really need to draft one?  Certainly not high.  OL?  They have picked up Schlauderaff and Iljana and drafted Winters, Aboushi and Campbell.  That's a bunch of bodies.  I would not hesitate to draft more linemen, but it isn't like it has been ignored.  They have a ton of RBs and we generally agree that should be ignored at the top of the draft.  I think Milliner will come around, but i agree we need corner help.  Especially if they are keeping Rex.  I would probably go FA there.  Probably high level using Cro's salary.  If they like a pass rusher at the top of the draft - I'm all for it.  Like most sane people I would prefer offense. 

My preferred method of drafting is BAP by filling needs with FAs pre-draft.  I think that is why Idzik signed so many 1 year injury prone guys.  He didn't have the money to fill the needs. 

Barnes was supposed to be that guy for us this year.  Was doing well before he was IRed for the year. I think he is signed for next year.

I agree, but I'm not sure how much to expect out of him though. He is not a young player and that was a significant injury

Barnes and Troy Davis scoming back next year should be good

Also, Coples looks like he's coming on a little.  Being released and re-signed does seem to have motivated Pace, though.  Given all the other needs, bringing him back on a reasonable 1 year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Also, Coples looks like he's coming on a little.  Being released and re-signed does seem to have motivated Pace, though.  Given all the other needs, bringing him back on a reasonable 1 year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Agree and agree a vet LB on the roster isn't a bad idea but we need to get quicker at the position.

The worst thing is that's exactly what we needed At the end of last year. !!

In fairness, they tried to address them with scrap heap free agents (no cap room to do otherwise), and via the draft.  It's still early to tell if any of the draft picks will pan out.  However, if we still have that many needs at the end of next season, then Idzik has some explaining to do.

Is one sack away from a career-high of nine.  Would love to see us grab a legit speed rusning LB in the draft with one of our many picks.  The way that this D-line occupys blockers, a speedy OLB could have a field day.,

I think some of this will get sorted out depending on who the HC is.  

If Rex gets canned you may see 4-3 defense next year and they need to figure out if Wilkerson is a DE or DT.   They also need to make a decision on Harris.   He obviously can't come back at his current salary so the question becomes if he comes back at all.  

In fairness, they tried to address them with scrap heap free agents (no cap room to do otherwise), and via the draft. It's still early to tell if any of the draft picks will pan out. However, if we still have that many needs at the end of next season, then Idzik has some explaining to do.

I'm tired of the no cap room excuse right now we are what 10 mil under. And we didn't use a draft pick on any wr or rb which is what we need

I think some of this will get sorted out depending on who the HC is.  

If Rex gets canned you may see 4-3 defense next year and they need to figure out if Wilkerson is a DE or DT.   They also need to make a decision on Harris.   He obviously can't come back at his current salary so the question becomes if he comes back at all.  

If they go with a 4-3 base front I don't see where Harris fits in at any salary.  He can't cover enough ground anymore.

That said, it's still possible he sticks around no matter what because the amount they regain by cutting him ($5M) may not be a priority for the team next year.  Also we'd get another compensatory pick when someone else signs him a year later.

Not understanding the premise of this post.

Pointing out the fact that if an old/slow Calvin Pace can have a career year with the guys he has in front of him eating up blockers, a young speed guy could be great.  However, it didn't take me long to realize I should have started a much needed "we need offensive playmakers" thread because with 40 mil in cap space and a dozen draft picks, we should only be talking about offense.

If Pace can get 8, imagine what a linebacker who does not take Geritol would get.

If Pace can get 8, imagine what a linebacker who does not take Geritol would get.

Glad somebody gets what I was saying.... Again, I know a lot of folks just want to talk about our needs on offense, but I don't think it's such an insane idea to suggest picking up a defensive player with one of our twelve picks and all the cap room for FA's.  JMO.

Glad somebody gets what I was saying.... Again, I know a lot of folks just want to talk about our needs on offense, but I don't think it's such an insane idea to suggest picking up a defensive player with one of our twelve picks and all the cap room for FA's.  JMO.

Agreed...Team could use a CB, S, and a playmaking DE/OLB on defense...would love some secondary help and there are FAs who can do that.

OTOH, they drafted 3 first round DL in a row so I think touching a defensive prospect before any of the three retires is over committing to 1800's style foozball. It's that OBSESSION that has sunk this franchise. 

I'm tired of the no cap room excuse right now we are what 10 mil under. And we didn't use a draft pick on any wr or rb which is what we need

1.3 mil under the cap, but I agree with not at least taking a flyer on a late round WR. We did, however, use a draft pick for Ivory so RB is not a concern yet.

Yeah, because that our problem right now. lol.

Yes, and because offense is our problem, the forum would be much better if every single thread was about the QB, and nobody spent time trying to change things up a little.  Christ.

Yes, and because offense is our problem, the forum would be much better if every single thread was about the QB, and nobody spent time trying to change things up a little.  Christ.

You could have certainly changed it up...and spoke about the WR, TE, G, T needs. But, it wasnt my intention to put you on the bubble like that. Lets talk about the defense lol. 

Archived