Manziel Ponders Life With New York Jets

flgreen

2014 NFL Draft: Johnny Manziel Ponders Life With New York Jets
December 15, 2013 2:05 am EST by Nick Mamary
Jonny-Manziel.jpeg

Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports

We are several months away from 2014’s NFL Draft. One high-profile collegiate athlete apparently has a preference of where he would like to play. While speaking to media members prior to the Heisman Trophy presentation, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel said “the New York Jets would be a neat teamicon1.png to play for.” Of course, this answer could just be a way to not anger the home crowd, but maybe there is more to it.

Manziel’s penchant for being in the spotlight could play well in New Yorkicon1.png. He went on to speak of his love for this city. Even though he has yet to declare, it may be worth evaluating some red flags for the redshirt sophomore.

Standing at 6-foot-1, Manziel is two inches shorter than current starter Geno Smith.

The Big Apple’s night life could present some issues for him. Him just going to a college partyicon1.png wearing a Tim Tebow jersey created such a stir, so what would it be like for him to always be in the spotlight?

His gunslinger mentality looks similar to that of Brett Favre. Arm strength and accuracy are there when Manziel looks to throw. Smith has struggled to consistently find rhythm.

If the Jets wish to end this experiment, then they might call on Johnny Footballicon1.png. Whether he would succeed better with these targets is a good question. I am still not sure if Gang Green will look elsewhere or how Manziel’s skills will translate to the next level, but this would be an interesting scenario.

The Jets would likely have to trade up, but it would create a lot of excitement.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/12/15/2014-nfl-draft-johnny-manziel-ponders-life-with-new-york-jets/?U5HL3p1ThrPUH13u.99

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for Johnny Football being a Jet.  It would give some legitimate electricity to this franchise for the first time in a long time.  Of course, odds are probably low that he ends up here for multiple reasons.  A few off the top of my head:

-We don't know if Idzik want to draft a QB

-We don't know if Idzik likes Manziel

-We don't know if Manziel will be available when we pick

etc

I'm telling you, he would juice up this fanbase for the first time since the Jets drafted a hotshot, cocky , rockstar from Alabama in 1964. His Jersey sales would be out of this world. He would take the Giants off the back page of the News and Post every week Woody would be loving life having Johnny Football make his franchise the talk of the NFL.

Please, JETS, for once in this franchises history (well, twice), make this happen, make us relevant again. With the amount of picks we have, we should be able to package something in May so we can get this guy.

Please though, whatever you do, Dont pair him up with REX.

I'm telling you, he would juice up this fanbase for the first time since the Jets drafted a hotshot, cocky , rockstar from Alabama in 1964. His Jersey sales would be out of this world. He would take the Giants off the back page of the News and Post every week Woody would be loving life having Johnny Football make his franchise the talk of the NFL.

Please, JETS, for once in this franchises history (well, twice), make this happen, make us relevant again. With the amount of picks we have, we should be able to package something in May so we can get this guy.

And what if he stinks?

And what if he stinks?

And what if Joe Willie stunk, no superbowl, no Jan12th 1969, no hall of fame, no merger BUT what if he doesnt stink like Joe Willie.

I'm willing to take the risk. Come on Jets, grow a pair, the rookie wage scale isnt a killer, you are clearing tons of cap, and as I said before, and I know people gasp at this, but if we drafted MANZIEL, I would trade or cut GENO, SANCHEZ, GARRARD etc, and have Manziel compete with Simms and another veteren. I wouldnt want Geno around screwing up our new "franchise guy".

Are we that satisfied with the mediocrity, the status quo, cant we finally take a "risk" on someone who has supersatr, rock star written all over him. Look Iknow the consequences, I know he could fail, but the UPSIDE is just unreal with this kid, and well worth the risk.

And what if Joe Willie stunk, no superbowl, no Jan12th 1969, no hall of fame, no merger BUT what if he doesnt stink like Joe Willie.

I'm willing to take the risk. Come on Jets, grow a pair, the rookie wage scale isnt a killer, you are clearing tons of cap, and as I said before, and I know people gasp at this, but if we drafted MANZIEL, I would trade or cut GENO, SANCHEZ, GARRARD etc, and have Manziel compete with Simms and another veteren. I wouldnt want Geno around screwing up our new "franchise guy".

Are we that satisfied with the mediocrity, the status quo, cant we finally take a "risk" on someone who has supersatr, rock star written all over him. Look Iknow the consequences, I know he could fail, but the UPSIDE is just unreal with this kid, and well worth the risk.

Tebow was a rock star. How'd that turn out?

Joe was cant miss. 

This guy is the Rex Ryan of quarterbacks.

Tebow was a rock star. How'd that turn out?

Yes, a rock star with one of the worst throwing motions I have ever seen of anyone playing that position. That loopy delivery made him a Rock star who couldnt play guitar.

Come on, say what you want about Johnny Football, but the dude can sling it,

Yes, a rock star with one of the worst throwing motions I have ever seen of anyone playing that position. That loopy delivery made him a Rock star who couldnt play guitar.

Come on, say what you want about Johnny Football, but the dude can sling it,

He throws rainbows while on the run, IMO. No zip in his passes, and his frail woman-body will get broken in two around the knee.

He throws rainbows while on the run, IMO. No zip in his passes, and his frail woman-body will get broken in two around the knee.

This all may be true. It could be true about any QB we draft (I mean, they do this wrong, or they cant do that), but again, and I know you disagree, and look, even until I saw the Alabama game this year, I was not sold on him, but that game changed my mind.

Ok, let me ask you this, If they draft any QB, not just Manziel, in the 1st round, which I assume they would be then saying that this is "oor guy", would you want them to keep Geno around?

let's say for argument sake he's there when the Jets pick (not gonna happen) 

Manziel is another air Raid QB. Why would the jets "move on" from Geno by drafting another Air Raid QB? 

the 3 most prominent Air Raid prospects ever were Nick Foles, Geno Smith and Johnny manziel.  there are other prospects like Case Keenum and Jeff Tuel but these are the big 3 so far. If the Jets drafted Manziel it means Marty Morn has drafted all 3 of these guys. 

Manziel is another air Raid QB. Why would the jets "move on" from Geno by drafting another Air Raid QB? 

the 3 most prominent Air Raid prospects ever were Nick Foles, Geno Smith and Johnny manziel.  there are other prospects like Case Keenum and Jeff Tuel but these are the big 3 so far. If the Jets drafted Manziel it means Marty Morn has drafted all 3 of these guys. 

My only answer to that would be "because he stinks"?

Do we know where the Jets are going to pick? Will they be willing to make a move up, will Johnny fall? All I'm saying is th Jets have the "ammo" to pretty much get to anyplace in the draft they need to be if they really covet someone. If they finish 6-10, they probably only need to move a couple spots, if they somehow end up 8-8 or 9-7, then they may have to really get creative to see how far they have to move.

Archived