Geno is not the guy

MexiRoll6

1. He's got an arm. He can make all the throws. He's got zip on his passes.

2. He's mobile and dangerous on the run. Despite that, he hangs in the pocket and looks to make the play down-field.

3. Everything we've seen from him on the field and in pressers would indicate that he's calm, composed, doesn't get too high or too low and he's dedicated to the sport.

I don't think that any of the above 3 things ever really applied to Sanchez. I would say that despite Sanchez' appearance and mannerisms, he was physical tough and resistant to injury. He wasn't a problem in the locker room. He was OK on the run. Finally, while he wasn't fast, he had a bit of a knack for finding the end-zone on the ground.

Comparing these two skill-sets, it seems to me that Geno is leaps and bounds ahead of where Sanchez was at this point in his career. Granted, the results look awful, but I still think he's more naturally gifted. I would not be opposed to the Jets bringing in another QB, even a 1st round pick if necessary to compete with him. However, I wouldn't write him off yet either. I'd let the two compete.

The key for either of these guys - Geno or hypothetical draft pick guy - is that they need to surround him with more talent. And something that is rarely mentioned around here, healthy talent - and consistent talent. Health of the WR's/TE's has cost Geno big time this year.

Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Gates were 4 of the top 5 receivers coming into this season. Each of them missed more than 1 game. Winslow and Cumberland were the top 2 tight ends coming into this season. Each of them missed more than 1 game. When you have skill players missing that much time then you're going to struggle. Part of the reason that there are so many injuries waiting to happen in this receiving group is that the money wasn't available to bring in quality, sturdy receivers. Well the money and picks will both be available this year. Time to do it.

*** As to the question about progress: the past two games have been better for Geno than the previous four or so, even though Carolina has a very tough defense. The improvement hasn't been spectacular but I think you're seeing a little bit of it. You're also seeing a little bit of how having Kerley around helps. One area that I think Geno has definitely improved on over the course of the season is holding on to the ball when he takes hits. He's not fumbling as much (or really, at all) lately.

1. He's got an arm. He can make all the throws. He's got zip on his passes.

2. He's mobile and dangerous on the run. Despite that, he hangs in the pocket and looks to make the play down-field.

3. Everything we've seen from him on the field and in pressers would indicate that he's calm, composed, doesn't get too high or too low and he's dedicated to the sport.

I don't think that any of the above 3 things ever really applied to Sanchez. I would say that despite Sanchez' appearance and mannerisms, he was physical tough and resistant to injury. He wasn't a problem in the locker room. He was OK on the run. Finally, while he wasn't fast, he had a bit of a knack for finding the end-zone on the ground.

Comparing these two skill-sets, it seems to me that Geno is leaps and bounds ahead of where Sanchez was at this point in his career. Granted, the results look awful, but I still think he's more naturally gifted. I would not be opposed to the Jets bringing in another QB, even a 1st round pick if necessary to compete with him. However, I wouldn't write him off yet either. I'd let the two compete.

The key for either of these guys - Geno or hypothetical draft pick guy - is that they need to surround him with more talent. And something that is rarely mentioned around here, healthy talent - and consistent talent. Health of the WR's/TE's has cost Geno big time this year.

Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Gates were 4 of the top 5 receivers coming into this season. Each of them missed more than 1 game. Winslow and Cumberland were the top 2 tight ends coming into this season. Each of them missed more than 1 game. When you have skill players missing that much time then you're going to struggle. Part of the reason that there are so many injuries waiting to happen in this receiving group is that the money wasn't available to bring in quality, sturdy receivers. Well the money and picks will both be available this year. Time to do it.

*** As to the question about progress: the past two games have been better for Geno than the previous four or so, even though Carolina has a very tough defense. The improvement hasn't been spectacular but I think you're seeing a little bit of it. You're also seeing a little bit of how having Kerley around helps. One area that I think Geno has definitely improved on over the course of the season is holding on to the ball when he takes hits. He's not fumbling as much (or really, at all) lately.

You are talking yourself into believing something that your eyes tell you otherwise. 

About weapons-Kerley, Winslow and Holmes (granted he is a major dick) were all healthy today. Holmes caught 2, Winslow and Kerley  1 apiece. Not much point to bemoaning weapons if you barely use them.  

when he has time to step into his throws he looks decent. it seems he has happy feet tho and holds onto the ball way to long. also dont like how he seems to get down on himself and force throws that arnt there. one thing is for sure is we need some playmakers.  im not saying geno is the answer but he has the worst receiving core in the league.  we need wrs and te's.  bring in a vet (Shaub, McCown, etc) and have them battle it out in camp  next year

when he has time to step into his throws he looks decent. it seems he has happy feet tho and holds onto the ball way to long. also dont like how he seems to get down on himself and force throws that arnt there. one thing is for sure is we need some playmakers. im not saying geno is the answer but he has the worst receiving core in the league. we need wrs and te's. bring in a vet

(Shaub, McCown, etc) and have them battle it out in camp next year

U said it when he has time and can step into his throws ! The knock on geno was he didn't do well playing in small spaces which u have to in the NFL and he misses open recivers which he does . This comes from mcshay and kiper I saw them talking about him a few weeks ago it was weird cause they show clips of him in WVU then with jets makeing same mistakes !!

I think Geno will make a really good back up to whatever QB we draft this year.  Having a guy that can run coming off the bench could be a nice change of pace.

This is probably true.  Problem is, i don't know what QB we are going to draft this year that is going to step in an play.  A lot of people keep on talking about what a great QB draft this is going to be.  I just don't see it.  It's probably better then last year's, but still don't see much there.  2015 is shaping up to be the draft.

As far as FA's go...........................Cutler?   Oh boy.

This is probably true.  Problem is, i don't know what QB we are going to draft this year that is going to step in an play.  A lot of people keep on talking about what a great QB draft this is going to be.  I just don't see it.  It's probably better then last year's, but still don't see much there.  2015 is shaping up to be the draft.

As far as FA's go...........................Cutler?   Oh boy.

Probably better than last year? Smith, Manuel, and Glennon? One of the worst classes I can ever remember. Not one legitimate starting QB. All are basically back-ups. This class will go down as one of the worst ever.

Probably better than last year?

Bridgewater

Manziel

McCarron

Bortles

Murray

Mettenberg

Hundley

Boyd

Boy, I dont know. I think besides BOYD, I would take ANY of the rest over anything that went this past year, and its not even close.

Probably better than last year? Smith, Manuel, and Glennon? One of the worst classes I can ever remember. Not one legitimate starting QB. All are basically back-ups. This class will go down as one of the worst ever.

Bridgewater

Manziel

McCarron

Bortles

Murray

Mettenberg

Hundley

Boyd

Boy, I dont know. I think besides BOYD, I would take ANY of the rest over anything that went this past year, and its not even close.

You need to add Derek Carr to this list.    With all of the QB needy teams this year he will be a top 15 pick.  

You need to add Derek Carr to this list.    With all of the QB needy teams this year he will be a top 15 pick.  

I knew I forgot one, Your absolutely right. How someone could not think this is at least a good class if not great and say "probably better than last year" is mind boggling, dont you think?

The Jets offense is terrible and Geno is part of the problem, clearly.

That said, he's a rookie second round pick who really had no business starting in the first place. It's unfair to judge him completely done given his circumstances this year. The Jets need to bring in legitimate competition for Geno next year, though, at a minimum. I'd prefer a veteran and a rookie. They need to have one guy on the roster who at least doesn't outright suck. It's been a long time for the Jets since they had a QB who wasn't terrible.

Bridgewater

Manziel

McCarron

Bortles

Murray

Mettenberg

Hundley

Boyd

Bridgewater

Manziel

McCarron

Bortles

Murray

Mettenberg

Hundley

Boyd

Stonehands was talking about a QB who is going to be a starter next year.  

I know all the names, and have seen a good % of them play.  Besides Bridgewater, possibly, I really don't see anyone there who  is going to step in as a starter.

Don't want Manziel.  After that it's kind of Meh?  Mid round talent that will go early

SayNoToDMC is obviously NOT an adult, so don't bother trying to reason with the dolt. He calls ME a bozo and then trumpets Rex Ryan's qualities as a HC as Respect, Humility (that one is really funny) and Gratitude. Really??!! I think that things like knowledge of offense, timeouts, challenges and keeping your team on an even keel as more important qualities BY FAR, but don't try to change his mind - he is out of it anyway.

SayNoToDMC is obviously NOT an adult, so don't bother trying to reason with the dolt. He calls ME a bozo and then trumpets Rex Ryan's qualities as a HC as Respect, Humility (that one is really funny) and Gratitude. Really??!! I think that things like knowledge of offense, timeouts, challenges and keeping your team on an even keel as more important qualities BY FAR, but don't try to change his mind - he is out of it anyway.

I have to say that I was clearly perplexed by the answer he gave. I had to go back and make sure that I didnt read the qustion wrong sent in by TOm, that read something like:

What qualities do you look for in a boy who wants to take your daughter to the junior prom?

I knew I forgot one, Your absolutely right. How someone could not think this is at least a good class if not great and say "probably better than last year" is mind boggling, dont you think?

the problem for the Jets right now is that they are 6th in the draft line of QB needy teams.     There is most likely going to be a very early run on QB's and the Jets are going to be on the outside looking in.   

I've floated Derek Carr's name in the past and nobody seems sold on him....it won't even matter because he will be long gone when the Jets pick.    I honestly don't even think Manziel is left when the Jets pick.    Every sh*tty team w/o a QB picks in front of us right now.   

Does Idzik put his job on the line to move up?    I don't see it.      

the problem for the Jets right now is that they are 6th in the draft line of QB needy teams.     There is most likely going to be a very early run on QB's and the Jets are going to be on the outside looking in.   

I've floated Derek Carr's name in the past and nobody seems sold on him....it won't even matter because he will be long gone when the Jets pick.    I honestly don't even think Manziel is left when the Jets pick.    Every sh*tty team w/o a QB picks in front of us right now.   

I was going to ask you the same thing. Does Idzik move up. I dont know but lets try this. Idzik knows that it has been painfully long since this franchise had a Franchise QB. I think he also knows that the FANBASE (at least a strong portion of it) is clamoring to finally have "that guy" pulling the trigger, BUT he found a FRanchise guy in his old stomping ground in the 3rd round (Wilson), and since he drafted Smith, is he willing to admit his mistake with Smith? Hmmm.......

On the other note, I have watched Carr and he has a rifle BUT he came from basically the same system as his brother, who was as much of a bust as our former USC QB. That being said, If they draft Carr, I think he is a huge upgrade over our current QB, but not sure he is "that guy". Sound fair?

I was going to ask you the same thing. Does Idzik move up. I dont know but lets try this. Idzik knows that it has been painfully long since this franchise had a Franchise QB. I think he also knows that the FANBASE (at least a strong portion of it) is clamoring to finally have "that guy" pulling the trigger, BUT he found a FRanchise guy in his old stomping ground in the 3rd round (Wilson), and since he drafted Smith, is he willing to admit his mistake with Smith? Hmmm.......

On the other note, I have watched Carr and he has a rifle BUT he came from basically the same system as his brother, who was as much of a bust as our former USC QB. That being said, If they draft Carr, I think he is a huge upgrade over our current QB, but not sure he is "that guy". Sound fair?

Bridgewater goes #1 to Houston.    

That leaves Jax, Oak, Cleveland, and Minnesota with picks before the Jets.    That should take at least 3 QBs off the board.    I think it's too expensive to go all the way to #2 (St Louis) and not get Bridgewater so realistically that leaves Atlanta.   RIght now Atlanta is still behind JAX, OAK, and Cleveland so that deal would make no sense.    It would also use up valuable picks that we need to rebuild at WR + TE.  

what we don't know is how much input Idzik had in the process with Seattle and what he wants to do.  

The Seattle model was to build the team first while continuing to look for the QB.    I assume that's what he does here.      I think a 2nd rd pick for Cousins is realistic and then using 1st pick on WR.   If all of those other teams pick QBs it allows the 2 big-time WRs to slide.    I also think you could see Geno compete with a couple of offseason castoffs like Gabbert, Henne, and/or Schaub who would likely come on the cheap.    

Teams that need a QB are not going to be selecting someone in the top 10 that they've given a 2nd or lower round draft grade. I've said it before, but I highly, highly doubt there will be 6 or 7 QBs taken in the first round, let alone the top 10. This is exactly like last year: these draftniks and pundits all propped up guys like Geno, Manuel, Barkley, Glennon and Nassib and yet only one of them went in the first round.  I think it's way too early to start talking about these QBs all going in the first until we see exactly how the Senior Bowl, all star games, combine and pro-day workouts go.

Teams that need a QB are not going to be selecting someone in the top 10 that they've given a 2nd or lower round draft grade. I've said it before, but I highly, highly doubt there will be 6 or 7 QBs taken in the first round, let alone the top 10. This is exactly like last year: these draftniks and pundits all propped up guys like Geno, Manuel, Barkley, Glennon and Nassib and yet only one of them went in the first round.  I think it's way too early to start talking about these QBs all going in the first until we see exactly how the Senior Bowl, all star games, combine and pro-day workouts go.

Is Jax really going to try to sell Henne or Gabbert to their fan base next year?    No chance, so Jax almost has to take a QB.   Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, Tennessee - 4 teams that need QBs and all pick ahead of the Jets.  

If anything, I think this sets up more like 2011 than the 2013 draft.   In 2011 you had 3 QBs in 4 or 5 picks with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder  and I think you'll see something very similar this year.  

Carr, Manziel, Bortles are next off the board after Teddy B.    That leaves the Jets with sloppy 2nds at the QB line but in great shape for a WR.  

Yes, Geno has no weapons but I dont know how you can objectively look at Geno and think he has any potential to be an elite QB in the NFL.  He is WILDLY inaccurate, and his arm strength is simply sub par.  Look at his passes objectively he has no zip (thanks Chad) and his long passes are all short and flat.  I can't recall him properly leading a WR with a long pass all season.  That said im sure we are going to waste 3+ seasons on him to figure out he sucks as well because thats how the Jets roll.

Is Jax really going to try to sell Henne or Gabbert to their fan base next year?    No chance, so Jax almost has to take a QB.   Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, Tennessee - 4 teams that need QBs and all pick ahead of the Jets.  

If anything, I think this sets up more like 2011 than the 2013 draft.   In 2011 you had 3 QBs in 4 or 5 picks with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder  and I think you'll see something very similar this year.  

Carr, Manziel, Bortles are next off the board after Teddy B.    That leaves the Jets with sloppy 2nds at the QB line but in great shape for a WR.  

I don't expect them to sell them on Henne or Gabbert, but with Bridgewater possibly being the exception, none of these QBs should probably be starting week 1 anyways and if you do, you run the risk of "ruining" them. 

It's sort of hard to use 2011 as your defense for picking QBs in bunches, when all those times who did that are once again in the market for another QB. When you're as talent depleted as these teams are, us included, you worry about building the best team possible and drafting a QB one or two rounds before you think he deserves to go is not the way. 

I'm not sure how many of these kids coming out right now would have performed well this year with the way our roster is currently assembled. If it's me, I only select a QB in the first round if he's the BPA or close to it and if not, I don't reach, I let the board fall. My feelings stand the same for the remaining rounds. Geno or the veteran we bring in will most likely be starting regardless of who we draft, so it behooves us to surround them with actual talent. If for some reason Geno does not develop with the new weapons we have, then at least we've built our team up and the QB we drafted this year or next year will have something to actually walk into.

Yes, Geno has no weapons but I dont know how you can objectively look at Geno and think he has any potential to be an elite QB in the NFL.  He is WILDLY inaccurate, and his arm strength is simply sub par.  Look at his passes objectively he has no zip (thanks Chad) and his long passes are all short and flat.  I can't recall him properly leading a WR with a long pass all season.  That said im sure we are going to waste 3+ seasons on him to figure out he sucks as well because thats how the Jets roll.

Not even remotely close, e overthrew a healthy Stephen Hill by about two yards. The kid has a plus arm, but I'll certainly concede that his accuracy is an issue, granted a lot of his throws have been on the run lately and we can't expect everyone to be Aaron Rodgers.  Would certainly like to see some more consistency though.

I'm not sure how many of these kids coming out right now would have performed well this year with the way our roster is currently assembled. If it's me, I only select a QB in the first round if he's the BPA or close to it and if not, I don't reach, I let the board fall. My feelings stand the same for the remaining rounds. Geno or the veteran we bring in will most likely be starting regardless of who we draft, so it behooves us to surround them with actual talent. If for some reason Geno does not develop with the new weapons we have, then at least we've built our team up and the QB we drafted this year or next year will have something to actually walk into.

I guess we're saying the same thing.    I know Geno isn't the guy but picking 6th in line for QBs doesn't bode well.    I think you try to get Cousins with a 2 and let him battle Geno for QB.   Use the 1st rd pick on WR and then fill in around with the rest of the picks. 

The Jets can't go BPA again and take yet another DL or CB...they just can't do it.   

I guess we're saying the same thing.    I know Geno isn't the guy but picking 6th in line for QBs doesn't bode well.    I think you try to get Cousins with a 2 and let him battle Geno for QB.   Use the 1st rd pick on WR and then fill in around with the rest of the picks. 

The Jets can't go BPA again and take yet another DL or CB...they just can't do it.   

I don't think Cousins is the guy, seems a lot like the other Flynns and Cassel's of the world and we'd regret giving a second for him. The only way I go QB in the first is honestly if it's BPA, if not I go for whomever is outside of CB and DT.  I don't think you can rule out Safety or OLB as those are huge needs as well, which is exactly why Idzik needs to address WR or S/OLB in free agency prior to the draft in order to give us that flexibility.

I still believe regardless of who we select, Geno is going to be the starting QB opening day, so whether we draft someone or not, and I hope we do, this team needs to get better. If not for Geno's sake, then for whomever steps in as our next guy. 

I don't think Cousins is the guy, seems a lot like the other Flynns and Cassel's of the world and we'd regret giving a second for him. The only way I go QB in the first is honestly if it's BPA, if not I go for whomever is outside of CB and DT.  I don't think you can rule out Safety or OLB as those are huge needs as well, which is exactly why Idzik needs to address WR or S/OLB in free agency prior to the draft in order to give us that flexibility.

I still believe regardless of who we select, Geno is going to be the starting QB opening day, so whether we draft someone or not, and I hope we do, this team needs to get better. If not for Geno's sake, then for whomever steps in as our next guy. 

I guarantee you that Geno has competition this offseason and training camp.   There is no way they hand him the job next season.    Personally, I think Cousins is a better option than the other guys available off the scrap heap, although the other interesting option will likely be Gabbert (assuming he's released).    Cousins has an NFL arm and was a 4th rd pick in the same draft Wilson was a 3rd.   If Cousins came out in the 2013 draft he would have been a 1st rd pick.  

no matter what happens it will be another interesting offseason for the Jets.   Unfortunately the off season is the best time of year for this miserable franchise.   

Archived