Geno Smith sounds like he is scared of the Sanchez competition again

drocksthaparty

How is he going to be scared of someone who isn't going to even be on the team next year??

Completely cherry-picked and bastardization of the quote. Geno has mentioned in almost every interview this year that he competes every single day in practice and expects to continue to compete, as "nothing is handed to you here." Now whether that's true or not, there's nothing that even remotely sounds like he's scared, especially of a guy who's not going to even be on the roster.

Geno has to hope for competition. He was awful last preseason, throwing 3 IT'S in a half against the first team Giants squad that is 4-9 thus far.

Geno wasn't ready and his crappy play, at best, proved that or at worst, showed troubling signs about his prospects.

This off season will be critical for him.

Except Sanchez is better than Geno. Even as rookies.

You keep saying this and it's 100% inaccurate. In what ways is Mark better? Geno has more yards, higher completion percentage, greater Y/A and while he has 1 more int, they have identical int % at 5.5%. Mark threw for 12 tds and ran for 3 in 15 games, whereas Geno has now thrown for 10 and rushed for 4 in 14 games. If Geno throws or rushes for a td against the Browns, he's pretty likely going to have him beat in almost every statistical category. That's not even taking into consideration the team that Mark had surrounding him: #1 defense and run-game, not to mention reliable receivers who weren't walk ons. 

Edit: It's an actual question, in what way in Mark's rookie year is he better than Geno?

Geno Smith is now saying he is expecting a competition for next year.  This is crazy, he has not been as great of a QB as I would have hoped for, but he will be fine. Just needs to develop. 

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/geno_smith_expects_a_full_competition_against_mark_sanchez_next_year/15325616?

not been as great? he has been complete sh*t

BroadwayJoe12, the answer to your edit question is that Sanchez took the team to a 9-7 record and an AFC title game. With Geno, Jets will go 6-10 with no playoffs and several Gawd awful performances that I hope to live long enough to NEVER see again. I agree that Sanchez looked MUCH better in his rookie year than Geno and it goes way beyond mere statistical analysis. Sanchez was undone by his HC and GM in 2011 when they should have been looking to ADD pieces to the offense. NOT keeping a handful of players that they vastly overpaid and therefore had no choice but to let good players go.

BroadwayJoe12, the answer to your edit question is that Sanchez took the team to a 9-7 record and an AFC title game. With Geno, Jets will go 6-10 with no playoffs and several Gawd awful performances that I hope to live long enough to NEVER see again. I agree that Sanchez looked MUCH better in his rookie year than Geno and it goes way beyond mere statistical analysis. Sanchez was undone by his HC and GM in 2011 when they should have been looking to ADD pieces to the offense. NOT keeping a handful of players that they vastly overpaid and therefore had no choice but to let good players go.

Oh, so yo mean the eye test. The fall-back to everyone's argument when the majority of statistical numbers disagrees. Gotcha.    

Edit: God awful performances by Geno notwithstanding, do you even remember Mark's 5 int game against buffalo?? You're using team record to defend his play? You're bringing up 2011 as a way to justify his 2009 rookie year? I mean, jesus dude at least try. 

You keep saying this and it's 100% inaccurate. In what ways is Mark better? Geno has more yards, higher completion percentage, greater Y/A and while he has 1 more int, they have identical int % at 5.5%. Mark threw for 12 tds and ran for 3 in 15 games, whereas Geno has now thrown for 10 and rushed for 4 in 14 games. If Geno throws or rushes for a td against the Browns, he's pretty likely going to have him beat in almost every statistical category. That's not even taking into consideration the team that Mark had surrounding him: #1 defense and run-game, not to mention reliable receivers who weren't walk ons. 

Edit: It's an actual question, in what way in Mark's rookie year is he better than Geno?

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

Mark's receivers in 2009 were as bad or worse than what the Jets have now.

Geno has turned the ball over more times than Sanchez had, and there are still two games left.

The best Geno can do is 8-8 and that's not happening.

Geno was a worse QB in 2013 than Mark was in 2009.

Oh and since we'll never know how Geno would have been in the playoffs, Mark was better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season.

You know what though? They're both awful and this argument is silly. It's like saying which is better Bud Light or Coors Light when we both know they are both terrible.

Cotchery in his prime was a good player. Braylon had issues with drops but could still go deep at the time. The receivers weren't all world in 2009 but certainly better than this group. Keller was slightly more than a JAG but would start here probably. Add on Brad Smith who was a vital part of the offense.

mexi--I have no idea how anyone with a clue about football could compare the jets offensive(or complete) roster Sanchez vs Smith's rookie years.  Are you just trolling?  One was built for a championship, the other was stripped down to clear the books for the following season.  totally unfair comparison...

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

Mark's receivers in 2009 were as bad or worse than what the Jets have now.

Geno has turned the ball over more times than Sanchez had, and there are still two games left.

The best Geno can do is 8-8 and that's not happening.

Geno was a worse QB in 2013 than Mark was in 2009.

Oh and since we'll never know how Geno would have been in the playoffs, Mark was better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season.

You know what though? They're both awful and this argument is silly. It's like saying which is better Bud Light or Coors Light when we both know they are both terrible.

1) So a 27 year old prime Jerricho Cotchery, 26 year old prime Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith and Leon washington out of the backfield is worse than what we have now? Really?  I don't think there's a single person on this board that wouldn't trade our group for that one in a heart beat. 

2) You cannot simply compare ints to ints with their seasons, considering Geno has had to throw the ball a lot more in this offense, thus why I pointed out that their INT % is identical. Mark also only played 15 games, so we'll be able to compare better their stats after this week. 

3) Using record to show the productivity of a QB is worse than using Wins to define a pitcher's season. 

It's complete revisionist history thinking Mark was anything but the worst QB season we've seen in a decade. Yes, they've both been terrible, but Geno is playing with a fraction of what Mark had his rookie season and personally I'd like to see what the kid could do with actual talent around him. We all had promise for Mark after his rookie season solely because of the team's record, yet Geno has had a slightly better season and we're ready to cut the cord. Seems a bit hypocritical. 

Interestingly enough i posted a thread on here a lil over a week ago with a NJ.com poll that asked, Do you want Mark Sanchez on the Jets next season?   54% of the respondents said yes.  I was really surprised  

I am sorry that has to be wrong or a fluke- by far the majority of Jet fans I know and talk to hate him

I am sorry that has to be wrong or a fluke- by far the majority of Jet fans I know and talk to hate him

They had a lot of replies.   I think as the season wore on it became a contest of who the fans hated the most.  The guy who was destroying the team last year, or the guy who is destroying the team this year.

No playoff wins though.

That's true. It's why Andy Pettitte is better than Pedro, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and every single other pitcher to ever take the mound.

Geno's QB rating right now is worse than Sanchez's from his rookie season. That's all that needs to be said.

Mark's QB rating was 63 and Geno's is currently 62.9, that doesn't factor in the number of first downs and touch downs orchestrated by Geno with his legs, which has been a valuable part of his game. 

That's true. It's why Andy Pettitte is better than Pedro, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and every single other pitcher to ever take the mound.

Mark's QB rating was 63 and Geno's is currently 62.9, that doesn't factor in the number of first downs and touch downs orchestrated by Geno with his legs, which has been a valuable part of his game.

Mark's playoff stats are actually very solid. And he's not the reason we lost either championship game, to be honest.

Geno sucks. Slightly more than Mark. They're almost identical players in terms of what they do wrong in games. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Archived