I take back some of the mean stuff I said about Curtis Martin

T0mShane

How can you even knock Curtis Martin. You are a penis. Martin was the greatest RB of all time on the Jets. No one - not even Freeman McNeil - is even close. Yeah, he may have gotten a few more dollars than most RB's but who else did the Jets HAVE in those years to count on offensively? Coles was solid as was Chrebet, but Martin was the player other teams feared.

Sorry, top defenses did not "fear" Martin. His greatness running with the football is only rivaled by Bigfoot and The Yeti.  Great at running 4 yards through 4 yard running lanes, though, as well as 8-12 yards on 3rd & 15 or 3rd & 20 draw plays.  

He was a very good football player but was the exact opposite of a dangerous runner.  Teams "fear" truly dangerous backs like Adrian Peterson and dozens of others, not merely good "gets the job done" (whatever that means) backs like Martin was.  He wasn't fast, he wasn't powerful, he wasn't elusive, and he was clearly no master at breaking tackles.  Chris Ivory (for all his faults) is FAR more likely to break a tackle than Martin was.  

I don't know which RB you watched, or if you are just looking up his #s or something, but game after game I'd watch from TV or from the stands as he gained yards in no extraordinary way on a given carry.  If the hole was there, he hit it without dancing around, but he didn't bust through or run around people and was a king of getting taken down by arm tackles.  

For the numbers guys, who cite his (impressive) 1000-yard season stretch, what makes that impressive is how long he did it for, not the quantity of yards he got because of getting so many carries per season.  He got them in very average & ordinary chunks, at 4 ypc or less.  4.0 ypc is the minimum level of acceptability for a RB, not the hallmark of awesomeness.  And Martin was at 4.0ypc or less FAR more often than above it.  

Every season I'd listen to people complain about how there was nowhere for him to run, when truly dangerous RBs (just in today's game alone like AP or Lynch or Charles) turn a bunch of those into big gainers.  There is a WOW factor to dangerous RBs that puts fear into defenses.  Martin was good, and was good for a long time which is impressive, but he was a noticeable level below the game's truly great, dangerous backs.  

You think Martin would be running at a clip at well over 4 ypc with our current OL and Geno Smith at QB? Fat chance.  My opinion is he'd be in the 3.5-3.8 range (like he was at times even with far better QBs and far better receiving threats drawing safety attention, and far better OLs than the '13 Jets).  While being at that sub-4.0 level his fans would repeat - as they often did for years - that Jim Brown & Barry Sanders combined into one superRB couldn't gain yards behind this line.  Barry was an incredible, dominant RB that put fear into defenses.  Martin, by comparison, was merely good.

We also do not allow name-calling here, in case you didn't get the memo.

Sorry, top defenses did not "fear" Martin. His greatness running with the football is only rivaled by Bigfoot and The Yeti.  Great at running 4 yards through 4 yard running lanes, though, as well as 8-12 yards on 3rd & 15 or 3rd & 20 draw plays.  

He was a very good football player but was the exact opposite of a dangerous runner.  Teams "fear" truly dangerous backs like Adrian Peterson and dozens of others, not merely good "gets the job done" (whatever that means) backs like Martin was.  He wasn't fast, he wasn't powerful, he wasn't elusive, and he was clearly no master at breaking tackles.  Chris Ivory (for all his faults) is FAR more likely to break a tackle than Martin was.  

I don't know which RB you watched, or if you are just looking up his #s or something, but game after game I'd watch from TV or from the stands as he gained yards in no extraordinary way on a given carry.  If the hole was there, he hit it without dancing around, but he didn't bust through or run around people and was a king of getting taken down by arm tackles.  

For the numbers guys, who cite his (impressive) 1000-yard season stretch, what makes that impressive is how long he did it for, not the quantity of yards he got because of getting so many carries per season.  He got them in very average & ordinary chunks, at 4 ypc or less.  4.0 ypc is the minimum level of acceptability for a RB, not the hallmark of awesomeness.  And Martin was at 4.0ypc or less FAR more often than above it.  

Every season I'd listen to people complain about how there was nowhere for him to run, when truly dangerous RBs (just in today's game alone like AP or Lynch or Charles) turn a bunch of those into big gainers.  There is a WOW factor to dangerous RBs that puts fear into defenses.  Martin was good, and was good for a long time which is impressive, but he was a noticeable level below the game's truly great, dangerous backs.  

You think Martin would be running at a clip at well over 4 ypc with our current OL and Geno Smith at QB? Fat chance.  My opinion is he'd be in the 3.5-3.8 range (like he was at times even with far better QBs and far better receiving threats drawing safety attention, and far better OLs than the '13 Jets).  While being at that sub-4.0 level his fans would repeat - as they often did for years - that Jim Brown & Barry Sanders combined into one superRB couldn't gain yards behind this line.  Barry was an incredible, dominant RB that put fear into defenses.  Martin, by comparison, was merely good.

We also do not allow name-calling here, in case you didn't get the memo.

Well said Spermy I would take a Terrell Davis and his short career over the compiler any day.. :winking0001:

Archived