JetNation Radio - Should The Jets Keep Rex

Maxman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joined the forums to let you guys know the last podcast is not on itunes as of today

Interesting, I am heading out now but I will look into that tonight.  Thanks for the heads up...

iTunes did send a notification out earlier this week about some maintenance they were doing to the submit a podcast feed.  I will see if that is the issue.

Thanks!

Provide three legitimate reasons, please.

1.  The Defense is way ahead of the offense.  Keeping stability there next year at least gives them a chance because chances are next year offense will not be that much better than it was this year unless you are in the fantasy league where you are expecting them to go from 30th in league to the 2nd...dream on.  at best they may make it to 20th.

2.  FA are not going to want to come into a unknown situation/Coaching staff and this team is in serious need of FA help.  Rex helps them in this regard because of his rep.

3.  Fans are tired of this team starting over.

The problem with Rex coming in was he used too much of his bravdo to influence Tanny to the point of no return.  He should have kept his nose out of who the players were and instead focused on his schemes.  This was probably his biggest downfall I think.  With that said you would hope he learned from that and if fired will take those lessons and create success elsewhere while the Jets start over with another 1st year head coach and flounder for 5 years.

1.  The Defense is way ahead of the offense.  Keeping stability there next year at least gives them a chance because chances are next year offense will not be that much better than it was this year unless you are in the fantasy league where you are expecting them to go from 30th in league to the 2nd...dream on.  at best they may make it to 20th.

2.  FA are not going to want to come into a unknown situation/Coaching staff and this team is in serious need of FA help.  Rex helps them in this regard because of his rep.

3.  Fans are tired of this team starting over.

The problem with Rex coming in was he used too much of his bravdo to influence Tanny to the point of no return.  He should have kept his nose out of who the players were and instead focused on his schemes.  This was probably his biggest downfall I think.  With that said you would hope he learned from that and if fired will take those lessons and create success elsewhere while the Jets start over with another 1st year head coach and flounder for 5 years.

"would hope he learned from that and if fired will take those lessons and create success elsewhere" Huh? Once he is canned, I could care less if he ever coaches another game in this league, let alone wish him success.

Hes getting whacked in the NFL, not the local ballet dancing club.

The GM is in the tough spot year 2 of his 4 years , fire Rex start over with a new staff and take 2 years to get his players ,I do not see any HC that can turn this around in 1 or 2 years , the key part we have no QB

You answered your own post. Simple to turn this around in 1 year, Parcells did it, took a 1-15 to 9-7 to the playoffs.

The Colts did it 1-15, to the playoffs.

If IDZIK finds this team a QB, and of course a new Coach, they will make the playoffs next year. Book it.

"would hope he learned from that and if fired will take those lessons and create success elsewhere" Huh? Once he is canned, I could care less if he ever coaches another game in this league, let alone wish him success.

Hes getting whacked in the NFL, not the local ballet dancing club.

Yeah ok...tool...anywho I need to add 1 more

4. Pete Carrol

OK, so whats your point?

I liked Pete Carroll when he was with Jets.  I thought he was good enough to deserve more time to see what he could do.  He was a player coach who was defense oriented.  Was DC prior to be head coach.  Was only given 1 year.  Fired.  replaced with greener pastures.

Yes they better keep Rex Ryan as coach he is 41-38 overall and has gotten this team to 7 wins from a team that was projected to not even win 4. Give Rex Ryan as much time as he wants.

Also he is 4-2 in the playoffs with wins over the Bengals,Patriots,Chargers,Colts.

3rd all-time winningest coach in NY Jets history and winningest coach for the Jets in the past 10 seasons he accomplished what Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini could not.

Idzik would be a fool to let go of Rex Ryan.

#KeepRexRyan

I liked Pete Carroll when he was with Jets.  I thought he was good enough to deserve more time to see what he could do.  He was a player coach who was defense oriented.  Was DC prior to be head coach.  Was only given 1 year.  Fired.  replaced with greener pastures.

I agree, but totally different situation, as the JETS obviously pulled the plug way too soon, so we really didnt know what type or how good of a coach he was. With REX we have given him plenty of time and he has proven that he is basically a middle of the road, mediocre .500 coach. Serviceable if you will but certainly nothing special.

However my original comment was on wishing him SUCCESS in his next gig, and why would I do that, especially if the Jets have to play a team that he is part of the staff. As I said, once he leaves the Jets, I could care less what happens to him, as I would with anyone leaving the Jets.

Personally I think Rex has to go simply because a lot of crap happened on his watch.  However, here are my reasons for wanting to help him pack.

1.  A HC should be knowledgeable and interested in all aspects of the game.  I just do not see Rex demonstrating any capacity or interest in anything other than the D.

2.  He is incapable of accurately evaluating both players and coaches.  A poor player he will rate as average.  Average as good.  Good as Great, etc...  Tell me you do not think he and MT were trading all those picks to move up because they thought the team was much better than it really was.

3.  His loyalty to his players and friends is detrimental to the team.  Well, until he throws them under the bus. 

4.  I agree he, himself, is undisciplined and it is reflected in his team.  I mean with the nutritional advice and work out facilities he has access to and he opts for surgery?

5.  Last but not least...if you are going to brag about running with the bulls have some cajones for $%^&* sake.  All I saw was a scared fat guy trying to climb a fence.  He was running away not with!

Personally I think Rex has to go simply because a lot of crap happened on his watch.  However, here are my reasons for wanting to help him pack.

1.  A HC should be knowledgeable and interested in all aspects of the game.  I just do not see Rex demonstrating any capacity or interest in anything other than the D.

#FireSeanPayton

Sean Payton is an administrator and a leader. It's not coincidence that the Saints defense sucked too when he was suspended. Head coaches shouldn't be in a room scheming one side of the ball. They need to be involved in all aspects of the team.

But I suppose it IS a coincidence that a Ryan went to New Orleans and fixed their defense overnight? Big coincidence, huh?

Quick, name me some current head coaches that are average or better on offense, defense and special teams.

But I suppose it IS a coincidence that a Ryan went to New Orleans and fixed their defense overnight? Big coincidence, huh?

..............,.,,,....,...,,,;()&7(?!&&76;;4:;;this:;)?$$$((()!!

What?

Quick, name me some current head coaches that are average or better on offense, defense and special teams.

What does this even mean?

Easier to name the ones that are NOT: Frazier, Ryan, Garrett, Kubiak,whoops, sorry, the last one was fired, hmmmmm................ 

Means that every head coach has weaknesses on certain sides of the ball, and certain sides of the ball will interest them more than others.

It's not the head coach's job to sit down and scheme both sides of the ball. It's his job to make sure the guys scheming either side of the ball are on the same page and doing it as effectively as possible week in and week out. There are plenty of genius coordinators who were awful head coaches because they couldn't manage their staffs. Rex is one of those guys.

It's not the head coach's job to sit down and scheme both sides of the ball. It's his job to make sure the guys scheming either side of the ball are on the same page and doing it as effectively as possible week in and week out. There are plenty of genius coordinators who were awful head coaches because they couldn't manage their staffs. Rex is one of those guys.

Well I didn't know if it was the head coach's job to scheme both sides of the ball, considering that you recently taught me that it's now the head coach's job to draft and manage the roster.

But yeah, I agree. It's not the head coach's job to do that. It's his job to win by putting together the whole package. In the first few years, we did a good amount of winning. Then the risks that Tannenbaum took from 2009-2011 had to be paid off with some lean years. Finally with a GM that has a more balanced approach. tons of picks and cap space and with Rex and Mornhinwheg in the same building, we have the right combination.

You want to throw that out? For what? A hope and a prayer that this cursed franchise will accidentally stumble into coaching greatness?

Well I didn't know if it was the head coach's job to scheme both sides of the ball, considering that you recently taught me that it's now the head coach's job to draft and manage the roster.

But yeah, I agree. It's not the head coach's job to do that. It's his job to win by putting together the whole package. In the first few years, we did a good amount of winning. Then the risks that Tannenbaum took from 2009-2011 had to be paid off with some lean years. Finally with a GM that has a more balanced approach. tons of picks and cap space and with Rex and Mornhinwheg in the same building, we have the right combination.

You want to throw that out? For what? A hope and a prayer that this cursed franchise will accidentally stumble into coaching greatness?

1. You have no idea if it's the "right combination." You're guessing.

2. The next five years will largely be determined by how well the players Idzik drafts turn out. I'm of the belief that coaching will play a large part in how those draft picks turn out, as are most sane people on the planet. Rex's record in developing draft picks is abyssmal.

1. You have no idea if it's the "right combination." You're guessing.

And you aren't guessing?

Look at what you've got to build on from this 7-9 or 8-8 season:

-A head coach that's a defensive genius and a master motivator

-A good, experienced offensive coordinator

-A general manager that is interested in developing long-term consistency

-A great defensive line and a good offensive line

-Tons of cap space

-13 draft picks

We're on the way up again.

If the Jets were going to fire Rex, it should have been last year. I wouldn't have been happy then either but it should have been last year. No matter what, we *will* win more than 8 games next season. But I like our chances better (especially in the near-term) if we don't throw away Rex and Marty and start all over.

And you aren't guessing?

Look at what you've got to build on from this 7-9 or 8-8 season:

-A head coach that's a defensive genius and a master motivator

-A good, experienced offensive coordinator

-A general manager that is interested in developing long-term consistency

-A great defensive line and a good offensive line

-Tons of cap space

-13 draft picks

We're on the way up again.

If the Jets were going to fire Rex, it should have been last year. I wouldn't have been happy then either but it should have been last year. No matter what, we *will* win more than 8 games next season. But I like our chances better (especially in the near-term) if we don't throw away Rex and Marty and start all over.

I'm not going to piss on your optimism, my friend. Godspeed.

Archived