Dyer: Keep Rex-The Fans Have Spoken, And They Want Rex Back

flgreen

Ok. This how I see it.

Idzik has done a good job given the cap hell this team ws under. The draft might not have yielded optimal results but its only 1 year. Idzik deserves at least three years before we can see how he has truly done. Over three drafts we will see how Idzik's work has gone. From an FA perspective, there was little $$$ so you pick carefully from the garbage pile and hope for the best. Nelson was good.

As for Rex. What can you say, he started fast by taking the team to two AFC Championships. Then came three years of no playoffs. Where do I fault rex? His undying loyalty to Sanchez cost the jets numerous times. There were games where Sanchez should have been benched but was kept in there throwing ducks. Rex needed to bench the Sanchiz and failed to do so. This year there were games where Geno should have been benched but was kept in there. Simms should have been given a chance sooner but was not afforded the opportunity. Rex made those calls and that may have lead to another playoff less year. BUT, let's look at the roster. Offensively speaking, this team is barren. we have one good WR (Kerley), we have a good TE (Cumby) and we have two servicable RB's (Ivory and Powell). The QB is not good (12 TDs, 21 INTs, 7 Fumbles), the O-line has a gap (Winters is horribad), the WR corp is sh$tty (Holmes is a nightmare, Nelson has been a surprise, Hill reminds me of Jonny Lam Jones...ugh, the others have been stop gaps) and the TE crew is ehh (Sudfeld is good but Winslow is not good and Reuland sux). In 2014 we will have more Cap space. If we keep Rex we need the following moves: 

1) Draft a QB: I am not sold on Geno at all. Draft a QB and put them in a DAY 1 competition. Look for a QB that has played in a PRO SET formation not a wishbone, or a permanent Shotgun type of O in college. Make the competition a true DAY 1 Competition. Whoever performs the best of the group of (Smith, Simms or Drafted QB) gets to be our Starter....

2) Draft WRs whose college teams actually passed the ball unlike GEORGIA TECH where they barely passed the ball. (STEPHEN HILL IS NOT THAT GOOD, he is speedy but HE HAS BAD HANDS).

3) Draft Offensive Linemen. Get rid of this year's later round selections Oday and the other converted OL guy.

4) Draft a late round CB/Safety.

5) Let Cro go. Use the cap savings to upgrade the O.

6) Give Milliner one last shot this year. Make or Break, the kid has got to show something.

7) Let Kyle Wilson walk after this year if possible. He sucks.  

8) Re-Think the Coples move to OLB...I think he is better on the D-Line.

If we let Rex go, who do we hire? Is Bevell or Whisenhunt the HC replacement answer? Do we Keep Morningweg?

LL

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?

It's not even a shot on Idzik, I just don't get the rationale from the Fire Rex masses. On one hand you have this coach who has, for all intents, been learning on the job. Now the Fire Rex crowd is putting the fate of the franchise into the hands of a rookie GM, who is also learning on the job. It sounds less like objective thought and more like "anything else is better" irrationality. There are no great, polished, proven candidates that have been mentioned. A whole lot of up and comers which was exactly what Rex was five years ago.

If those same people agree that it takes time to groom a young quarterback, how much slack will they allow for a first time head coach? At least the QB gets a position coach. Who is mentoring Rex? Seriously? Self discovery is the longest learning curve.

It's not even a shot on Idzik, I just don't get the rationale from the Fire Rex masses. On one hand you have this coach who has, for all intents, been learning on the job. Now the Fire Rex crowd is putting the fate of the franchise into the hands of a rookie GM, who is also learning on the job. It sounds less like objective thought and more like "anything else is better" irrationality. There are no great, polished, proven candidates that have been mentioned. A whole lot of up and comers which was exactly what Rex was five years ago.

If those same people agree that it takes time to groom a young quarterback, how much slack will they allow for a first time head coach? At least the QB gets a position coach. Who is mentoring Rex? Seriously? Self discovery is the longest learning curve.

Five years is a millennium for any head coach, especially one with three seasons like Rex has put together.

Huh? Would you like to defend his 1 player draft when the team was DESPERATELY in need of depth? How about his brutal free agency and joke backup QB situation?

Easily.

This draft was not a 1 player draft. In fact, it netted 4 starters with one being a potential superstar. Milliner has been improving, and while he may never be Revis, is starting to show signs he can be a player. Richardson needs no comment. Geno was a no-brainer pick who was not necessarily a guy who should be starting week 1 and has also had some positives in an extremely unenviable and undesirable position. Even if Geno busts, he was still the right pick. Winters has not been good but is also a rookie starter coming off of injury.

Free Agency... What money did we have to spend? What affordable players did we not pick up that would have helped this team?

Quarterback... This position was only mismanaged if your an emotional fan who hated Sanchez, myself included. The truth is, there was no reason to bring in another QB when you had a high prospect rookie and an 8M veteran. Then, an injury happened. I realize this was shocking as QBs never get hurt, but that is not the GMs fault. The plan of having Geno and Sanchez was not a bad one. You might as well fire the Packers GM while you're at it for the Rodgers injury.

The truth is, there is no clear and realistic plan to the playoffs this year, even with hindsight. What would you have done to get us there? Jason Campbell? Please. Paid Revis? Worked well for Tampa Bay. Begged Brandon Moore not to retire? Fantasy. Truth is, this year was about unloading bad contracts, avoiding new ones, and gaining experience for young players. For that reason, it was a success.

Easily.

This draft was not a 1 player draft. In fact, it netted 4 starters with one being a potential superstar. Milliner has been improving, and while he may never be Revis, is starting to show signs he can be a player. Richardson needs no comment. Geno was a no-brainer pick who was not necessarily a guy who should be starting week 1 and has also had some positives in an extremely unenviable and undesirable position. Even if Geno busts, he was still the right pick. Winters has not been great but is also a rookie starter coming off of injury.

Free Agency... What money did we have to spend? What affordable players did we not pick up that would have helped this team?

Quarterback... This position was only mismanaged if your an emotional fan who hated Sanchez, myself included. The truth is, there was no reason to bring in another QB when you had a high prospect rookie and an 8M veteran. Then, an injury happened. I realize this was shocking as QBs never get hurt, but that is not the GMs fault. The plan of having Geno and Sanchez was not a bad one. You might as well fire the Packers GM while you're at it for the Rodgers injury.

The truth is, there is no clear and realistic plan to the playoffs this year, even with hindsight. What would you have done to get us there? Jason Campbell? Please. Paid Revis? Worked well for Tampa Bay. Begged Brandon Moore not to retire? Fantasy. Truth is, this year was about unloading bad contracts, avoiding new ones, and gaining experience for young players. On that level, it was a success.

4 Starters means NOTHING. Especially when 3 of the 4 are playing about the worst anyone else at their positions is playing in the NFL. Can you name ONE free agent he bought in who contributed anything more than being terrible to the 2013 Jets season? One? 

4 Starters means NOTHING. Especially when 3 of the 4 are playing about the worst anyone else at their positions is playing in the NFL.

Sorry only one of our draft picks are playing at a pro-bowl level. The rest are not playing tremendously but also aren't much worse than their other 1st year counterparts around the league. Convenient, though, that you ignore the rest of the post including the challenge to build this team into a playoff contender with the realities of the salary cap and draft picks and position. Instead, just trash the draft, which, if you remember included the scouting dept of the previous regime, which the GM you propose firing after one year, fired after the draft.

Sorry only one of our draft picks are playing at a pro-bowl level. The rest are not playing tremendously but also aren't much worse than their other 1st year counterparts around the league. Convenient, though, that you ignore the rest of the post including the challenge to build this team into a playoff contender with the realities of the salary cap and draft picks and position. Instead, just trash the draft, which, if you remember included the scouting dept of the previous regime, which the GM you propose firing after one year, fired after the draft.

Your reading comp needs a little help there buddy. You judge a GM on how his moves worked out. 3 of his 4 draft picks are playing AWFULLY and you can't name one FA who contributed to the team in any way thats worth mentioning. This isn't about making the playoffs. No one expected that. this is about bringing in players who can contribute and he has been TERRIBLE at that other than Richardson who I guarantee you Idzik had no idea who he was the day before the draft and drafted him because rex wanted him. We all know the only thing Rex is good at is drafting DL. 

As to the edit about FA... He traded for Chris Ivory. Barnes was also producing pre-injury. But I suppose that injury is also the GMs fault. Also, his goal was not to add bad contracts... So, again, who was he supposed to bring in last offseason that was affordable by the Jets salary cap standards and would have made them a playoff team?

Speak in terms of reality and not "Mythical Impact Player Who Also Came Cheap"

As to the edit about FA... He traded for Chris Ivory. Barnes was also producing pre-injury. But I suppose that injury is also the GMs fault. Also, his goal was not to add bad contracts... So, again, who was he supposed to bring in last offseason that was affordable by the Jets salary cap standards and would have made them a playoff team?

Speak in terms of reality and not "Mythical Impact Player Who Also Came Cheap"

He overpaid for Ivory in a draft where he could've drafted a few backs better than him and Barnes is a role player at best. Not exactly 5 star moves. 

Your reading comp needs a little help there buddy. You judge a GM on how his moves worked out. 3 of his 4 draft picks are playing AWFULLY and you can't name one FA who contributed to the team in any way thats worth mentioning. This isn't about making the playoffs. No one expected that. this is about bringing in players who can contribute and he has been TERRIBLE at that other than Richardson who I guarantee you Idzik had no idea who he was the day before the draft and drafted him because rex wanted him. We all know the only thing Rex is good at is drafting DL.

I mean, you should probably learn what reading comprehension means if you are going to accuse someone of incompetence in it. As, what you explain isn't a reading issue, but rather a lack of impulsivity to declare picks a failure after one season.

I did name two players who were brought in via the offseason, and I also proposed a salary cap issue. Perhaps you have problems in the realm of reality testing as you cannot acknowledge how not having money available to sign players would make it difficult to sign players.

So, angry, impulsive, poor reality testing, are you a premenstrual 15 year old?

I mean, you should probably learn what reading comprehension means if you are going to accuse someone of incompetence in it. As, what you explain isn't a reading issue, but rather a lack of impulsivity to declare picks a failure after one season.

I did name two players who were brought in via the offseason, and I also proposed a salary cap issue. Perhaps you have problems in the realm of reality testing as you cannot acknowledge how not having money available to sign players would make it difficult to sign players.

So, angry, impulsive, poor reality testing, are you a premenstrual 15 year old?

You named 2 players. One who was a role player and got hurt, the other was a clear overpay. You really got nothing. You said my post about Idzik was "brutally stupid" yet you have nothing to come back at me with to defend pretty much any of this moves other than you hope he'll do a better job with more money to spend. 

Colon, Nelson, Cribbs before he was hurt-do you want me to go on. Guys he brought in under the radar. Idzik's main fault so far was not having a competent experienced backup QB. The draft you can not judge on one year.

You named 2 players. One who was a role player and got hurt, the other was a clear overpay. You really got nothing. You said my post about Idzik was "brutally stupid" yet you have nothing to come back at me with to defend pretty much any of this moves other than you hope he'll do a better job with more money to spend.

You implied that he should be fired after one year. The burden of defending that claim falls on you. You've provided 0 as far as concrete ideas as to what he could or should have done better, so the fact remains, your idea that he should be fired is brutally stupid, considering you can't think of a thing he could have done better and acknowledged that no matter what, the Jets weren't making the playoffs.

Also, Ivory was a great move and value.

Colon, Nelson, Cribbs before he was hurt-do you want me to go on. Guys he brought in under the radar. Idzik's main fault so far was not having a competent experienced backup QB. The draft you can not judge on one year.

That was Sanchez, though probably not as 'competent' as we'd like, was a suitable backup this season. His 8M price tag made it hard to justify and to actually bring in another QB.

Ok. This how I see it.

Idzik has done a good job given the cap hell this team ws under. The draft might not have yielded optimal results but its only 1 year. Idzik deserves at least three years before we can see how he has truly done. Over three drafts we will see how Idzik's work has gone. From an FA perspective, there was little $$$ so you pick carefully from the garbage pile and hope for the best. Nelson was good.

As for Rex. What can you say, he started fast by taking the team to two AFC Championships. Then came three years of no playoffs. Where do I fault rex? His undying loyalty to Sanchez cost the jets numerous times. There were games where Sanchez should have been benched but was kept in there throwing ducks. Rex needed to bench the Sanchiz and failed to do so. This year there were games where Geno should have been benched but was kept in there. Simms should have been given a chance sooner but was not afforded the opportunity. Rex made those calls and that may have lead to another playoff less year. BUT, let's look at the roster. Offensively speaking, this team is barren. we have one good WR (Kerley), we have a good TE (Cumby) and we have two servicable RB's (Ivory and Powell). The QB is not good (12 TDs, 21 INTs, 7 Fumbles), the O-line has a gap (Winters is horribad), the WR corp is sh$tty (Holmes is a nightmare, Nelson has been a surprise, Hill reminds me of Jonny Lam Jones...ugh, the others have been stop gaps) and the TE crew is ehh (Sudfeld is good but Winslow is not good and Reuland sux). In 2014 we will have more Cap space. If we keep Rex we need the following moves: 

1) Draft a QB: I am not sold on Geno at all. Draft a QB and put them in a DAY 1 competition. Look for a QB that has played in a PRO SET formation not a wishbone, or a permanent Shotgun type of O in college. Make the competition a true DAY 1 Competition. Whoever performs the best of the group of (Smith, Simms or Drafted QB) gets to be our Starter....

2) Draft WRs whose college teams actually passed the ball unlike GEORGIA TECH where they barely passed the ball. (STEPHEN HILL IS NOT THAT GOOD, he is speedy but HE HAS BAD HANDS).

3) Draft Offensive Linemen. Get rid of this year's later round selections Oday and the other converted OL guy.

6) Give Milliner one last shot this year. Make or Break, the kid has got to show something.

If we let Rex go, who do we hire? Is Bevell or Whisenhunt the HC replacement answer? Do we Keep Morningweg?

LL

I agree with plenty of this.  Still, I'm all for upgrading the O even at the expense of the D this offseason, but your offseason plan includes a bunch of Oline and leaves us with trash at CB. You want to draft Oline?  Why? They drafted plenty in 2013.  Those guys were later guys that you want to develop and if they have no potential, will the new scouts be better at picking them?  You advocate dumping Cro and Wilson and drafting a late round CB/S?  who is the other starter across from (the questionable) Milliner? Sure if they switch coaches they can make due with a different style CB, but they still need bodies and Lankster and Trufant are LESS suited to other schemes IMO.  They can dump Cro and sign another CB and save some money, but they still need 2 starting CBs. 

Ok. This how I see it.

LL

Please mail this post to Mr. IDZIK. This is just a fabulous plan. The only thing I would change is in the very last line:

I would change "If we let Rex go" to simply "let Rex go".

Glazer was just on with Francesa. Glazer stands by his report from last week about Rex saying he's out, and it's Glazer's opinion (as in he's not reporting it as fact just yet) that Rex is going to he out.

Rex's phone is ringing non-stop with job offers. Wonder which one he takes?

You implied that he should be fired after one year. The burden of defending that claim falls on you. You've provided 0 as far as concrete ideas as to what he could or should have done better, so the fact remains, your idea that he should be fired is brutally stupid, considering you can't think of a thing he could have done better and acknowledged that no matter what, the Jets weren't making the playoffs.

Relax, Atticus. This is a messageboard, not a court of law. No one has to surmount any "burden" to express a football opinion here.

• headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg

Manish Mehta9m

First 100 votes in on Twitter poll: 90-10 to Keep Rex Ryan. ... Voting open all day. #nyj

Beat Writer / Columnist

Everytime they take a poll, the consent to keep Rex increases exponentially. Pretty soon, I guess they will have me voting to keep REX, and the next poll should show 100% of all Jet fans support Rex.

Way to go Rex, cant wait to be 7-9 next year. woo hoo

Great value would've been Zac Stacy or Andre Ellington. Both were available at that pick. Again. His draft was terrible. His free agents have only marginally continued. Those are facts and your ignoring them only shows your wishful thinking based in no facts.

Glazer was just on with Francesa. Glazer stands by his report from last week about Rex saying he's out, and it's Glazer's opinion (as in he's not reporting it as fact just yet) that Rex is going to he out.

Monday will be the cherry on top of the mess we call the Jets.

Archived