Schefter: Signs point to Rex return

T0mShane

One well-placed NFL executive believes Rex Ryan will return as coach of the New York Jets, based on conversations he has had.

Despite speculation that Ryan would be fired after this season, another well-connected source told ESPN that the atmosphere surrounding his status has turned from negative to positive.

Ron Antonelli/Getty Images

Rex Ryan owns a 41-38 career record with the Jets, who have exceeded expectations this season.

It remains unclear whether Ryan will enter next season on the last year of his contract or whether the Jets will give him a contract extension, sources said.

Although Ryan has received consistent backing from Jets owner Woody Johnson, his support from first-year general manager John Idzik has been questioned. But to the surprise of many around the league, Ryan and Idzik have gotten along better than most anticipated.

Another issue facing the Jets is that at least a half dozen assistant coaches, including defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, are working on expiring contracts. Those issues still need to be addressed and worked through, according to sources.

Ryan is nearing the completion of his fifth season with the Jets, who can finish with an 8-8 record if they upset the rival Miami Dolphins.

Although they have exceeded expectations this season, the Jets have missed the playoffs in each of the past three years under Ryan, who owns a 41-38 career record. New York advanced to the AFC Championship Game in each of its first two seasons with Ryan.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't their some guy earlier saying Rex was going to get fired cause of the Sanchize debacle? Wonderful media, isn't it?

Well Sanchez's entire career was a debacle, so in that sense, if he WAS going to get fired, that would be the top reason.  

Sanchez getting hurt was the best thing for us.  It gave us a longer look at Geno Smith.  And it seemed to be more of Idzik's call that Sanchez was in there anyways.

Wasn't their some guy earlier saying Rex was going to get fired cause of the Sanchize debacle? Wonderful media, isn't it?

If Rex smoked crack, I'd be pushing for the five year extension over the one year show me deal. How awesome would Rex be on crack? Answer: Super Awesome!

If Rex smoked crack, I'd be pushing for the five year extension over the one year show me deal. How awesome would Rex be on crack? Answer: Super Awesome!

There is no question this man loves his football and could handle the NY media the right way. **** weapons, Idzik needs to get Rex some crack

Big deal.

I expect we will.

But we still won't have a competent offense and hence we won't be a real threat to do anything.

I think Rex has a competent offensive staff in place, just no talent on that side of the ball. It's up to Idzik to get him some more.

The big evaluation is what they all think of Geno. Does he need to be replaced or surrounded?

I think Rex has a competent offensive staff in place, just no talent on that side of the ball. It's up to Idzik to get him some more.

The big evaluation is what they all think of Geno. Does he need to be replaced or surrounded?

Bring in an orton type guy at a minimum.

I agree, Marty is competent.

I also agree that deciding on Geno is the key, I think Cutler would be a huge mistake, and don't really see many other QB options out there to really improve.

They can bring in some talent around him and prey he is at least decent.

Fair enough, but what about our pedestrian pass defense?  We shouldn't expect much in the way of resources to head towards the other side of the ball with so much invested in the DL and a top 10 pick invested in Milliner.

Fair enough, but what about our pedestrian pass defense?  We shouldn't expect much in the way of resources to head towards the other side of the ball with so much invested in the DL and a top 10 pick invested in Milliner.

Hopefully Idzik is the BAP guy that most of us want him to be. He'll have lots of money in free agency to hit a couple pressing needs, and lots of picks to start rebuilding the team. If it's true that Rex is coming back, I wouldn't expect a multi-year extension. I think he'll be coaching for his job again. Pass defense and the passing offense both need to improve, and the Jets need to get back to the playoffs.

Hopefully Idzik is the BAP guy that most of us want him to be. He'll have lots of money in free agency to hit a couple pressing needs, and lots of picks to start rebuilding the team. If it's true that Rex is coming back, I wouldn't expect a multi-year extension. I think he'll be coaching for his job again. Pass defense and the passing offense both need to improve, and the Jets need to get back to the playoffs.

With so many QB's and playmakers in this draft, I imagine we'll have a lot of opportunities to take BAP AND get skill guys.  

If Rex, and MM are retained I would love to see a hopefully healthy Kevin Kolb brought in, some say his concussion is career ending thou, he has 1 more year on his Bills contract, but with Manuel, and Kolbs injury histories I can't see the Bills trusting Kolb as the backup if he is cleared, and symptom free, but the Jets would also need a 3rd option to because of Kolb's injury history, and Geno possibly sucking. Kolb looked great in MM's system in Philly, pair him up with Maclin, and some other talent, and lets see what they can do.

Also if MM stays guys like Schaub, and Cutler don't fit his system IMO so they should be ruled out as possible FA signings.

I don't think the jets can afford to be BPA this year.

If BPA in rounds 1 and 2 are defensive players, our offense will be that much further behind.

If Rex, and MM are retained I would love to see a hopefully healthy Kevin Kolb brought in, some say his concussion is career ending thou, he has 1 more year on his Bills contract, but with Manuel, and Kolbs injury histories I can't see the Bills trusting Kolb as the backup if he is cleared, and symptom free, but the Jets would also need a 3rd option to because of Kolb's injury history, and Geno possibly sucking. Kolb looked great in MM's system in Philly, pair him up with Maclin, and some other talent, and lets see what they can do.

Also if MM stays guys like Schaub, and Cutler don't fit his system IMO so they should be ruled out as possible FA signings.

Schaub is not a FA.  He's due to make $14.5M next year and $17.5M in 2015.  Ouch.

Archived