Schefter: Signs point to Rex return

T0mShane

Would love to hear anyone explain what they saw from Geno Smith this year that leads them to believe he is the proverbial Magic Quarterback.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitGe00.htm

Take a long look at this numbers and tell me how he's not a bum in the making.

his numbers got drastically better around the Raiders game. The offense has been functional since then

btw i don't want to make this political but all the fire rex guys are living "in the bubble." in the real world, 7-8 is a decent effort with a terrible roster. In the bubble he's the reason everything sucks. you guys have been listening to like minded vocal minorities.

The reality of the Jets situation doesn't warrant Rex's firing. He's actually one of the only good aspects of this franchise. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

his numbers got drastically better around the Raiders game. The offense has been functional since then

btw i don't want to make this political but all the fire rex guys are living "in the bubble." in the real world, 7-8 is a decent effort with a terrible roster. In the bubble it's grounds for firing. you guys have been listening to like minded vocal minority types but the reality of the Jets situation doesn't warrant Rex's firing. He's actually one of the only good aspects of this franchise.

The bubble.

What is odd is that for Idzik this is win/win. Gets his owner to keep around a potential scapegoat if it goes to poop, gets another year of really nothing being his fault and then the possibility of telling Johnson "I told you so" at the end of next season. Or perhaps they even luck into a down year by the Pats and a 10-win season.Objectively though I see NOTHING about Wrecks and Geno Smith indicating they could take advantage of the Pats having a down year. In fact can predict without any doubt this offense, despite MM being a decent OC, is still gonna suck hard.The QB is awful.Smith is at best only going to be a INT prone backup. The HC's ideas about offense make Woody Hayes look like DOn Coryell. You are not winning anything in the NFL trting to eke out 13-10 wins. The defense breaks late in the game and you lose. Defenses eventually given some things up; you have to be able to score 30+ points from time to tine. Wrecks refuses to change. He is his dad.Sorry to say that for the Jets front office and coaching staff since Parcells(love him hate him whatever) left it's been mostly about cashing a Woody Johnson check regularly that really matters rather than winning. Winning is nice, but secondary and only important if it helps pay your mortgage.This called FAILING UPWARD.

Well if Idzik has the Jets heading into camp next year with Geno Smith as his starter, or favorite in the QB comp during camp, and no true stop gap game manager under the age of 38 then he should be fired after next year if the season is a fail, it's one thing to be wrong on the veteran QB game manager, and another to not even have one like this year, can't do this 2 years in a row. Geno Smith has not staked claim to the starting QB, nor do the Jets have much invested in him like they did Sanchez.

Seattle last year drafted a 3rd rounder, traded a 2nd rounder, and signed kept a decent BU QB (T Jackson) who knew the offensive system with Wilson, Flynn/Kolb forget which one I think Flynn thou, and gave him big $$$$$. Geno is our Wilson attempt, maybe we will try again this year to, we don't have the Flynn/Kolb, or the T Jackson, and we better have those types next year in camp.

I'm just going to say this right now. If the Jets try to get cute and extend Rex for one year, it's the surest sign ever that the team is run by Woody Johnson and Woody Johnson alone and, as such, we're all going to die without seeing a Jets Super Bowl. Plan accordingly.

I'm just going to say this right now. If the Jets try to get cute and extend Rex for one year, it's the surest sign ever that the team is run by Woody Johnson and Woody Johnson alone and, as such, we're all going to die without seeing a Jets Super Bowl. Plan accordingly.

We can commiserate with Cowboys fans. At least Woody hasn't actually named himself GM yet.

Come to think of it, this could be Idzik's way of getting out of paying that remaining $3-$4 mil to Rex. He tells Rex he can come back on a one-year deal, Rex tells him to **** off, then Rex quits to take another job. Boom. No money owed.

Tell yourself whatever you need to keep that glimmer of hope that Rex isn't our coach next year, can't believe it's resorted to that TOm!

Damn, you're really nervous about this.

You mean of course ANOTHER Jets SuperBowl, because unfortunately, I am old enough to have seen January 12th, 1969.

Your point is obviously well taken, and frankly If I am Idzik, and this is the situation, I hand in my resignation as soon as Woody makes it official, because obviously, I am a GM with about as much power as AA battery.

You mean of course ANOTHER Jets SuperBowl, because unfortunately, I am old enough to have seen January 12th, 1969.

Your point is obviously well taken, and frankly If I am Idzik, and this is the situation, I hand in my resignation as soon as Woody makes it official, because obviously, I am a GM with about as much power as AA battery.

Why do all the folks pining for Rex's head fail to accept the possibility that Idzik sees Rex as the best option?

My calendar has always planned accordingly to the Jets season ending in failure!

Tell yourself whatever you need to keep that glimmer of hope that Rex isn't our coach next year, can't believe it's resorted to that TOm!

It's a mistake, but they either need to go all in with him or cut bait altogether. You can't keep the organization in some purgatorial state hoping that Rex isn't as bad as he's shown the last three years. Either you think he's the 2010 Rex and you extend him, or you gamble that he's the 2011-13 Rex and move on. Halfwaying it helps no one.

Run-on sentence.

I think Rex has a competent offensive staff in place, just no talent on that side of the ball. It's up to Idzik to get him some more.

The big evaluation is what they all think of Geno. Does he need to be replaced or surrounded?

This is ultimately what it comes down to.

Rex showed me this year he can go .500 with a roster full of nothing. The reality is, if we fire him, we start from scratch next year - whereas with him in place, there is a foundation. If Idzik, and his own crew of evaluators (rather than the Tanny holdovers in the scouting dept), can get the most out of the draft and free agency to bolster this roster in the coming off-season then I've got figure Rex can get this defense back to where it belongs at the top of the league, and hopefully an investment will be made in skill position players on offense... including at QB (even if they think Geno is the guy, that position is like Chess, always be one step ahead of when you DON'T have a QB anymore - look how many 2nd and 3rd stringers made a difference this season).

I'd only be psyched about a Rex firing IF we were bringing in someone that knows how to lead a whole program, like Shaw or O'brien have proven at the college level. I see no point, and no significant improvement, coming from promoting yet another coordinator without any top-guy experience.

This is ultimately what it comes down to.

Rex showed me this year he can go .500 with a roster full of nothing. The reality is, if we fire him, we start from scratch next year - whereas with him in place, there is a foundation. If Idzik, and his own crew of evaluators (rather than the Tanny holdovers in the scouting dept), can get the most out of the draft and free agency to bolster this roster in the coming off-season then I've got figure Rex can get this defense back to where it belongs at the top of the league, and hopefully an investment will be made in skill position players.

I'd only be psyched about a Rex firing IF we were bringing in someone that knows how to lead a whole program, like Shaw or O'brien have proven at the college level. I see no point, and no significant improvement, coming from promoting yet another coordinator without any top-guy experience.

Can you expand on this "we have a foundation" statement?

It's a mistake, but they either need to go all in with him or cut bait altogether. You can't keep the organization in some purgatorial state hoping that Rex isn't as bad as he's shown the last three years. Either you think he's the 2010 Rex and you extend him, or you gamble that he's the 2011-13 Rex and move on. Halfwaying it helps no one.

What would be a bigger mistake would be firing Rex losing out on O'Brien, waiting for the hot coordinators to finish up their teams playoff runs, and get snubbed by all of them, creating another circus like atmosphere like last hear when we had no GM, just this hear no HC, and hiring a garbage retread, handing the job over to MM by default, or worse Brian Schitheimer! Like it, or not the Jets are still one misstep away from being viewed as the biggest circus in the league, and if you don't think Idzik, and Woody aren't strategically making cautious decisions right now to keep the franchise heading in the right (heading towards trying to be respectable) direction, then your campaign against Rex has blinded your ability to step outside the green colored bubble.

Keeping Rex next year is the safe, and correct move both realistically, and in the opinion of the judgmental NFL people/media types. I hate the Jets adhere to those judgmental, but influential pricks usually, but this time I think it's also the correct move period for this franchise, and if Rex fails next year they will just eat the 4 million then instead of this year, but I'm sure next year they will make no bones about trying to find a replacement the minute the Jets start underachieving, and have better options to make a quick, and swift move if they do it the right way like Houston did this season.

What would be a bigger mistake would be firing Rex losing out on O'Brien, waiting for the hot coordinators to finish up their teams playoff runs, and get snubbed by all of them, creating another circus like atmosphere like last hear when we had no GM, just this hear no HC, and hiring a garbage retread, handing the job over to MM by default, or worse Brian Schitheimer! Like it, or not the Jets are still one misstep away from being viewed as the biggest circus in the league, and if you don't think Idzik, and Woody aren't strategically making cautious decisions right now to keep the franchise heading in the right (heading towards trying to be respectable) direction, then your campaign against Rex has blinded your ability to step outside the green colored bubble.

Keeping Rex next year is the safe, and correct move both realistically, and in the opinion of the judgmental NFL people/media types. I hate the Jets adhere to those judgmental, but influential pricks usually, but this time I think it's also the correct move period for this franchise, and if Rex fails next year they will just eat the 4 million then instead of this year, but I'm sure next year they will make no bones about trying to find a replacement the minute the Jets start underachieving, and have better options to make a quick, and swift move if they do it the right way like Houston did this season.

NFL media types think the Jets should give Rex another year because they have no respect for the Jets. It's similar to setting your fat sister up with the guy who cleans toilets down at the Getty station--it works because they're equally undesireable, so why not?

NFL media types think the Jets should give Rex another year because they have no respect for the Jets. It's similar to setting your fat sister up with the guy who cleans toilets down at the Getty station--it works because they're equally undesireable, so why not?

Leave my boy Worm from the Getty station out of this!

Under Ryans tenture, he has not had a legitimate QB, or OC. Unfortunate for Sanchez, Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano as OC, the decline of surrounding talent and the circus act Woody and Tannebaum pulled with Tebow really derailed Sanchez. Sanchez was never given a chance to succeed, and as a Jet fan i feel for him and I hope he's given a second chance. But the Jets finally found a repectable OC in Marty Mornhinweg. It was obvious the Jets were going to struggle on offense, but what Marty has done with the scrubs he was given and make them into a somewhat respectable offense just shows how legit he is. If you fire Rex, Mornhinweg goes too, and its another rebulding process under another coaching staff and if your the Jets, how many times have you heard that story?? The fact that Ryan was so successful for the first two years with partially Mangini's talent could be argued but if you dont remember, the year before Ryans arrival, Mangini brought the Jets into SB contention after starting 8-3 with a legitiment QB, Brett Favre. The fact they fell off badly after was because of the health of Favre. In my opinion, they had the pieces to be a legitimate team for years, i believe the Jets broke Mangini's regime a little too early, but that's another discussion. You can compare this years Jets to last years Carolina Panthers. Ron Rivera was a dead man walking after starting 1-6 and the firing of GM Marty Hurney. The fact he kept his job was because was able to restore the locker room and the Panthers went 6-3 in the last nine games to end with a respectable 7-9 record. When Dave Gettleman was hired as GM, he had the opportunity to fire Ron Rivera and bring in his own HC. He didn't, instead was able to work with Rivera in the off-season to help improve the team. This year, Carolina is 11-4 and one win away to winning the division and having a first round bye in the playoffs. What a change of events huh? If Idizk and Rex's relationship is in fact a "good relationship", I dont see why you would want to change coaches. The players love playing for Rex and the locker room has never been fractured during this season, and thats a quality you want a HC to have. Ryan has developed a fierce front 7 and as much as the secondary has struggled, Cro has been nagged with the hip injury, and Milner is still a rookie. Millner has struggled, but he will be a quality CB in the NFL! He was able to contain Josh Gordon last week and had his first INT. A good outing against Miami will prove huge for next season, he'll be fine, the defense will be fine. The offense is what it is, mediocre. Not bringing in a quality veteran QB to mentor Geno wasn't smart, Geno never had an opportunity to develop some sort of chemistry with his WR's because of injuries or suspensions, and bringing in practice squad players to start at WR was a fail itself. But if you can take the positives out of this offense, theres a few. We have a good RB core with Ivory and Powell. With Kerley's return from injury, him and Geno have seemed to develop some chemistry which is huge! Oh yeah, and GENO SMITH IS NO SCRUB! We've seen that he's can be a quality starting QB and anyone says otherwise is delusional. With his athleticism and arm, he reminds me alittle of Russell Wilson. Ryan and Idzik need to bring in offensive talent this off-season! Keep Kerley, trade Stephen Hill for a draft pick, Drop Santonio Holmes! He has been a cancer for this team ever since last year. Sign Jimmy Graham and Eric Decker! Draft a WR (Sammy Walkins, Mike Evans, Marquise Lee). Geno has been clobbered all season! The Jets have Mangold, DBrick, Colon already, Bring in Brandon Albert and/or of you can Eugene Monroe and covert him into a G. DBrick-Monroe-Mangold-Colon-Albert would be an amazing line! I hope this team can have this similar approach for next year. This team with good desicions can recover like Carolina and become a playoff team next year. They can be the next Seahawks of the AFC, and firing Rex i believe would prevent all of this. Please keep Rex for next season.

Archived