Schefter: Signs point to Rex return

T0mShane

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penn State is supposedly going to offer their HC gig to Schiano. With Tampa and the Lions jobs open, why would Rex take a one year deal here?

because he's an idiot

How many times have you heard Rex brag on this organization ? On this Owner ? How he has the best job in the world coaching the Jets. I can see Rex being a dumb ass and taking on the lame duck role as a challenge then telling the media exactly what he's thinking. No ?

Pats fan perspective: Rex, to me, is a lot like Wade Phillips. Both are excellent DCs, and average/above average HCs. Neither, however, is an EXCELLENT HC. However in both cases, you can do a lot worse than either of them.

Realistically, there are only so many Belichicks, Walshs, and Parcells out there. The vast majority of teams have merely "good" HCs, combined with talent on the roster.

Right now the Jets need an offensive talent infusion more than they need a HC. I don't know what HC options are out there that are better than Rex. Further, any change likely brings new coordinators, and breaks up continuity, likely resulting in a step back in the few areas the Jets are competent.

Pats fan perspective: Rex, to me, is a lot like Wade Phillips. Both are excellent DCs, and average/above average HCs. Neither, however, is an EXCELLENT HC. However in both cases, you can do a lot worse than either of them.

Realistically, there are only so many Belichicks, Walshs, and Parcells out there. The vast majority of teams have merely "good" HCs, combined with talent on the roster.

Right now the Jets need an offensive talent infusion more than they need a HC. I don't know what HC options are out there that are better than Rex. Further, any change likely brings new coordinators, and breaks up continuity, likely resulting in a step back in the few areas the Jets are competent.

Exactly

Rapoport reporting that Idzik is pushing Rex to make staff changes.

This is Cashman-Torre all over again

May be, but Ryan has the owner in his pocket and no guarantee of a better offer any place else. Further Richie Rich has probably asked Idzik for a complete list of potential replacements who would take this job, and sadly that list is pretty hurting if O'Brien isn't on it. Whisenhunt and Bevell and....that's about it. Johnson would rather sign up for another year of Ryan with an option than have this job go begging all January. Suspect if Idzik has doen his due diligence and knows whtehr he has one of those guys lined up solid...or not. Which means Johnson would prefer to keep the known bad quantity in Wrecks than having a begging festival to get a competent replacement.

Keeps coming back to bad ownership that hired Idzik with these conditions. That never works. Again.

Back up; 2 different things. Glazer never said that explicitly. He said Wrecks, in his pregame speech to the Jets last Saturday said he had "heard on the street" he was getting fried and used it as a moticational tool in the speech. Glazer never said he had nay source tell him Wrecks was getting fired. And Wrecks is without a doubt full of enough BS to try a ploy like that.

Thats what I thought.

People in this thread were making it sound that Glazer was contradicting Schefter which he isnt. Glazer merely reported what Rex told the team while Shefter reported that sources said that Rex is, at the least, giving the opportunity to return at least for the final year of hiscontract

May be, but Ryan has the owner in his pocket and no guarantee of a better offer any place else. Further Richie Rich has probably asked Idzik for a complete list of potential replacements who would take this job, and sadly that list is pretty hurting if O'Brien isn't on it. Whisenhunt and Bevell and....that's about it. Johnson would rather sign up for another year of Ryan with an option than have this job go begging all January. Suspect if Idzik has doen his due diligence and knows whtehr he has one of those guys lined up solid...or not. Which means Johnson would prefer to keep the known bad quantity in Wrecks than having a begging festival to get a competent replacement.

Keeps coming back to bad ownership that hired Idzik with these conditions. That never works. Again.

I've seen this office dynamic before: the CEO sticks the middle manager with an employee he doesn't want. Middle manager proceeds to debase unwanted employee until employee quits or situation proves untenable.

Something similar happened this season in Minnesota. Owner sticks Les Frazier with Josh Freeman. Frazier responds by making Freeman throw it 40 times after one day of practice. Freeman humiliates self, franchise. Frazier earns right to bench Freeman rest of season.

I've seen this office dynamic before: the CEO sticks the middle manager with an employee he doesn't want. Middle manager proceeds to debase unwanted employee until employee quits or situation proves untenable.

Something similar happened this season in Minnesota. Owner sticks Les Frazier with Josh Freeman. Frazier responds by making Freeman throw it 40 times after one day of practice. Freeman humiliates self, franchise. Frazier earns right to bench Freeman rest of season.

It's really very sad. Idzik is not quitting, but he has been put in a very tough situation. What we know is Johnson does not like confrontation, which is why Bradway is still here and Mangini is not(thouuh there were good reasons to get rid of him, another day, another thread, but yelling at your boss and then not making the playoffs is gonna get you canned) . It's easier to keep his buddy Wrecks at Florham Park than firing him and getting an unknown as the HC. Perhaps Idzik knows Bevell nor Whisenhunt are not going to want any part of this dysfunction.And then how do you tell Johnson it was good idea to can Ryan for...who?

It's really very sad. Idzik is not quitting, but he has been put in a very tough situation. What we know is Johnson does not like confrontation, which is why Bradway is still here and Mangini is not(thouuh there were good reasons to get rid of him, another day, another thread, but yelling at your boss and then not making the playoffs is gonna get you canned) . It's easier to keep his buddy Wrecks at Florham Park than firing him and getting an unknown as the HC. Perhaps Idzik knows Bevell nor Whisenhunt are not going to want any part of this dysfunction.And then how do you tell Johnson it was good idea to can Ryan for...who?

Woody very much wants to be a celebrity. He likes going on CNBC and FoxNews, he likes to glad-hand high level GOPers for the camera, and he loves to be photographed in a $30,000 suit wearing a $20 Jets hat. We know that he insulates himself in the media and is extremely conscious of what is said about the Jets. His jihad against WFAN has been a running joke for two years now. I firmly believe these dopey Internet polls, along with ESPN's opinions, are factoring in to how Woody wants to proceed with Rex. What seems to be playing out is a power struggle between Woody, Rex and Idzik, and Idzik is demanding some concessions.

I cannot emphasize enough how much we need to make sure Rex comes back. Taking this roster to 7 wins is nothing short of incredible, if he was an English Premier League manager he'd recieve a knighthood.

Give him a 10 year contract. And **** that snivelling, agenda driven, sad mother****er known as T0mShane. 

I cannot emphasize enough how much we need to make sure Rex comes back. Taking this roster to 7 wins is nothing short of incredible, if he was an English Premier League manager he'd recieve a knighthood.

Give him a 10 year contract. And **** that snivelling, agenda driven, sad mother****er known as T0mShane.

Observation: the farther away from NY you live, the better you think Rex is.

Go **** a sheep, Donegal Donny.

I have been saying it all year. Rex will be back next year.

Observation: the farther away from NY you live, the better you think Rex is.

Go **** a sheep, Donegal Donny.

Listen to me you snivelling little american ****, I wouldn't go to Donegal if there were free pints on offer, it's that much of a ******* wasteland. A beach, some mountains and a load of rocks. **** that sh*thole.

Rex Ryan is the ******* BOSS of this league. He literally took a roster which consists of 3 defensive linemen and 50 window lickers and brought them to 7 wins. He brought us to the AFC title game twice with a Hispanic transsexual consistently throwing the ball to the other team. Simply put,  It's quite f*cking incredible what he's done. 

The NFL is completely ****ed. Completely. The sport isn't even similar to what it was 10 years ago, you NEED a top QB to be good, or great recievers to make your average QB look good. We've had neither the QB's or the WR's to fit this criteria. Ryan has managed to stay competitive with absolutely none of those things in this league. I truly believe that by firing him you're removing the best asset on the team, just to satisfy some ignorant, moronic, knee-jerking fans like yourself. It would be a f*cking terrible decision.

But you stay classy.

Listen to me you snivelling little american ****, I wouldn't go to Donegal if there were free pints on offer, it's that much of a ******* wasteland. A beach, some mountains and a load of rocks. **** that sh*thole.

Rex Ryan is the ******* BOSS of this league. He literally took a roster which consists of 3 defensive linemen and 50 window lickers and brought them to 7 wins. He brought us to the AFC title game twice with a Hispanic transsexual consistently throwing the ball to the other team. Simply put, It's quite f*cking incredible what he's done.

The NFL is completely ****ed. Completely. The sport isn't even similar to what it was 10 years ago, you NEED a top QB to be good, or great recievers to make your average QB look good. We've had neither the QB's or the WR's to fit this criteria. Ryan has managed to stay competitive with absolutely none of those things in this league. I truly believe that by firing him you're removing the best asset on the team, just to satisfy some ignorant, moronic, knee-jerking fans like yourself. It would be a f*cking terrible decision.

But you stay classy.

This is a tremendous post. :D

Archived