Jarvis Landry, WR LSU.

Villain The Foe

The last time the Jets had the opportunity to get a WR with the best hands in the draft (Alshon Jeffery) they decided to draft a WR with the worst hands in the draft (Stephen Hill).

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Jarvis Landry should be the 18th pick of the 2014 NFL draft. This dude here is a MAN on the football field.

He has hands you cannot teach. He has average height (6'1) but plays much bigger than his frame. Hill is like 6'4 and plays like he's freakin 5'10. Landry runs the entire route tree and his agility is pretty sick. This dude is a freak of nature and better be a Jet come April. I havent seen another WR so far that has made as many tough catches as this dude from their highlight vids. This guy can seriously ball. What I like most is that he snatches the ball out of the air.

Check out the routes and separation. More importantly, look at the his gradual performance and how when it gets to crunch time how he raises his game. Lastly check out how his big play ability and route running was able to win this game yet the ball wasnt even thrown to him for the game winner. If the Jets had the 1st pick of the draft and had pickin's on every WR in the draft I'd be hard pressed to pass on this dude. There's also just an insane catch at the 8min mark. Kid is impressive.

The one catch is great but those videos are way too full of non-catch material

Really? Then I dont know what you're watching. You're probably not able to sit and watch the entire vid it seems like because that Arkansas vid he had 8 catches for 113 yards. Its not like its a highlight reel of all his 80 catches and 15 TD's which many fans get hyped off of. This is an actual game with every play that he's on the field so it gives you a better feel of the player and not just his "highlights" that can be rather oversaturated and onesided. The kid is nice if you watch the videos.

Not that I would say draft this guy at 18 because honestly I have not watched enough college football to have a solid opinion one way or the other but fu@k the so called experts. If the Jets are going offense and primarily WR then they need to stick to their offensive board not what the experts say

I've learned my lesson with these experts and their projections. Same projections had Stephen Hill as a 1st rounder, dude cant even catch or run routes. 

Hill actually looked like he was going to have a good year until he took that big hit on the sidelines on a real nice catch.

he got hurt on the play and was never the same.    Going to give Hill another year before trashing him

IMO, Watkins, Evans and Lee are the only three bonafide 1st round WR's.  Maybe Benji squeaks in as a late round pick.  There is not a lot of difference in the quality/potential of the next available group of WR's.  Taking any of them in the middle of the 1st, including Landry, is a massive reach.

Really? Then I dont know what you're watching. You're probably not able to sit and watch the entire vid it seems like because that Arkansas vid he had 8 catches for 113 yards. Its not like its a highlight reel of all his 80 catches and 15 TD's which many fans get hyped off of. This is an actual game with every play that he's on the field so it gives you a better feel of the player and not just his "highlights" that can be rather oversaturated and onesided. The kid is nice if you watch the videos.

:face:

He seems good on his feet and willing to make a catch knowing he will be hit. Reminds me of a faster Kerley.

I've learned my lesson with these experts and their projections. Same projections had Stephen Hill as a 1st rounder, dude cant even catch or run routes. 

That's not fair at all. Most of the time projections are at least close to right but for 1) you have to take in their Combine/Pro Day numbers and 2) you always have risers and sliders. 3) different scouts rank different prospects at different levels but you can take the average and have a good idea. 

It's FAR better to use a panel consensus of scouts than your own personal gut feeling (b/c the player is really good).

You're at least working with better odds and percentages. That said, yeah Nobody can predict what a small contingent of individuals from one team is going to do or how their board is set. 

Hill actually looked like he was going to have a good year until he took that big hit on the sidelines on a real nice catch.

he got hurt on the play and was never the same.    Going to give Hill another year before trashing him

Good luck with that. 

Meanwhile..... Alshon Jeffery 89 catches 1,471 yards, 7 TD's. 

That's not fair at all. Most of the time projections are at least close to right but for 1) you have to take in their Combine/Pro Day numbers and 2) you always have risers and sliders. 3) different scouts rank different prospects at different levels but you can take the average and have a good idea. 

It's FAR better to use a panel consensus of scouts than your own personal gut feeling (b/c the player is really good).

You're at least working with better odds and percentages. That said, yeah Nobody can predict what a small contingent of individuals from one team is going to do or how their board is set. 

Im just kicking rocks at the experts, however, I  prefer to use my gut feeling 1st. Not to say that I wouldnt listen to scouts persay, I didnt know about Jarvis Landry until I first heard about him from Emory Hunt. But when I started watching him I was like "wow" kid can catch the football, run routes, put his shoulder down to deliver a hit...not just take one, isnt the best of run blockers but isnt afraid to throw his body into the mix and because of his big play ability he makes players around him better. 

I can see that from tape. I believe that he could be a very solid #2 WR in this league. Picking @ #18 we're most likely not going to get the Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee's of the world, but its not like we have a #2 WR anyway.

Not that I would say draft this guy at 18 because honestly I have not watched enough college football to have a solid opinion one way or the other but fu@k the so called experts. If the Jets are going offense and primarily WR then they need to stick to their offensive board not what the experts say

I agree. I dont watch college football, I get all my viewings from youtube. I simply watch the condensed game of the player and come to my conclusion. Jarvis Landry doesnt impress me as much as Alshon Jeffery did when I seen his tape, but Landry looks like everything we're missing. Sure hands, great route running, agility with servicable speed (not elite). Kerley has 3 of those (Hands, route running, agility) but he doesnt really have the speed, Kerley is just has nimble when running without the football. He just not as tall and isnt as fast. 

Stephen Hill was on pace for 1,000 yards

He ended with 342 yards and 1 TD. Average wise he was on pace for 1,000 yards (after like week 3. Not even halfway through the season) but in reality he wasnt getting there. 200 of those 342 yards came in two games, the other 142  yards came in his other 10 games. F'ing terrible. 

He ended with 342 yards and 1 TD. Average wise he was on pace for 1,000 yards (after like week 3. Not even halfway through the season) but in reality he wasnt getting there. 200 of those 342 yards came in two games, the other 142 yards came in his other 10 games. F'ing terrible.

My gut tells me different, Hill WILL be a pro bowler

He is not a first rounder.

Depending on the team he could be. Dont get me wrong, he can certainly be drafted in the 2nd round. I wouldnt argue that he's definitely a 1st round talent. I dont care what round he goes, I just see talent in him. Im simply coming from the Jets point of view in regards to their needs and there's no way I see Landry still on the board in the middle of the 2nd round for the Jets to take him when the Redskins are picking #2 in the 2nd round. The Redskins need WR's bad to help out Griffin, the problem is they have the 2nd pick in the draft but gave their round 1 pick to the Rams in the trade to get Griffin last year. So their first pick of this years draft will be in the 2nd round. If Landry is on the board in the 2nd round i HIGHLY DOUBT that he's getting past the Redskins because by that time he'd definitely be the best WR on the board. 

So the Jets taking him at #18 would make him a 1st rounder, not saying that he couldnt be a 2nd rounder, but if the Jets expect this player to be there in the mid 2nd round then they're out of their mind. Either they take him at #18 or take someone else that they feel is a better talent at the position. 

If Stephen Hill is a probowler next year I will personally give you $100. I'll send it right to your pay pal account, no lie! That would be crow I'd be glad to eat. I just want a solid WR. Nothing personal with Hill. My thing is this. You can teach route running body movement/selling etc. What you cant teach imo is hands. The man cant make all the catches. Sh_t, he cant make half the darn catches. 

I'll admit, he will take the hit. We learned that this year about his game. That Troy Polamalu hit was just ridiculous and he held on to the ball. But he just doesnt seem to have "IT" when I see him play. He just looks weird to me even catching the ball. He doesnt look like a WR to me im sorry. 

I watched every LSU game... The guy is gritty has a lot of heart Runs good routes and has great hands the only thing that concerns me is his height... Could be a mini Steve smith probably will better than kerley. But I'm not sure if we need a small receiver since we already have one I feel like we need big targets

I watched every LSU game... The guy is gritty has a lot of heart Runs good routes and has great hands the only thing that concerns me is his height... Could be a mini Steve smith probably will better than kerley. But I'm not sure if we need a small receiver since we already have one I feel like we need big targets

We do need a big target, but what big target receiver with sure hands are we going to get at #18. Besides, Kerley is 5'11 and Landry is 6'1 and he's faster than kerley. The guy's not small, he's just not huge. 

You're obviously an LSU fan so debating you would just be nonsense, but if Sammy Watkins (who is also just 6'1) and Marquise Lee (who is shorter at just 6'0) are off the board then who are we drafting at #18 with the height/hands ratio that we will need? You as an LSU fan could certain confirm for us that Landry catches pretty much everything in his direction. If thats the case then why not draft him if he has some of the best hands, if not, the best hands in the draft with good, not huge size? 

Who do you have in mind at 18? 

Love Landry, but he's still the second best receiver on that team to my boy OB Jr, who's basically a beefed up Randall Cobb. If you've watched a lot of Giants' games, then you've basically seen what Landry is capable of doing at the next level with Randle. 

Both are solid pros, really depends on what you need. Personally, I'd prefer Beckham as someone who can get on the field immediately as a punt returner and earn his snaps on the offense as the season progresses. Still a high to mid second round pick though. There's a whole lot of value in the second round with guys like OB Jr, Landry, Cooks, Matthews, Robinson and Benji.

Love Landry, but he's still the second best receiver on that team to my boy OB Jr, who's basically a beefed up Randall Cobb. If you've watched a lot of Giants' games, then you've basically seen what Landry is capable of doing at the next level with Randle. 

Both are solid pros, really depends on what you need. Personally, I'd prefer Beckham as someone who can get on the field immediately as a punt returner and earn his snaps on the offense as the season progresses. Still a high to mid second round pick though. There's a whole lot of value in the second round with guys like OB Jr, Landry, Cooks, Matthews, Robinson and Benji.

I guess so, still dont see Landry getting past the Redskins if he makes it to the 2nd round. Who would you pick at #18 then? 

Does Hill have the Talent to be a pro bowler ? Sure ... But from what we have seen so far he's constantly battling some injury or missing games out right. Its hard to tell at this point what's going on with this guy because he's not even consistently on the field.

If the Jets went out and got a beast at WR and signed Graham at TE I can see Hill being valuable in a deep threat role stretching the field but that's about it and its also a pipe dream we get those type players. He has very suspect hands and is not a good route runner so he's not going to be that big go to guy his measureables might indicate.

Not sure how you can call pro bowl for Hill, based on what we've seen so far he's not even close.

Im just kicking rocks at the experts, however, I  prefer to use my gut feeling 1st. Not to say that I wouldnt listen to scouts persay, I didnt know about Jarvis Landry until I first heard about him from Emory Hunt. But when I started watching him I was like "wow" kid can catch the football, run routes, put his shoulder down to deliver a hit...not just take one, isnt the best of run blockers but isnt afraid to throw his body into the mix and because of his big play ability he makes players around him better. 

I can see that from tape. I believe that he could be a very solid #2 WR in this league. Picking @ #18 we're most likely not going to get the Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee's of the world, but its not like we have a #2 WR anyway.

I love Landry too. I think it's a similar argument to the little OG vs. CB in the 1st round debate some of us were having.. By that I mean, Landry is probably one of the more consistent WRs in the draft. Maybe the ceiling isn't as high as others but the floor isn't as low. I will be amazed if he doesn't find some kind of production in the NFL. Whether it's as a #2 or #3 I'm not sure but he's just too fundamentally solid (hands, routes, body control) not to make an NFL roster and help a team. He's probably a less risky pick than other WRs. He kind of reminds me of Jerricho Cotchery but with a little more upside. 

The issue with taking him at 18 is, there might/should be more physically talented pure #1 options at 18. Guys who you hope can change a D's game plan and the entire dynamic of a game. Landry is probably more of a compliment to an offense than a game changer. 

I love Landry too. I think it's a similar argument to the little OG vs. CB in the 1st round debate some of us were having.. By that I mean, Landry is probably one of the more consistent WRs in the draft. Maybe the ceiling isn't as high as others but the floor isn't as low. I will be amazed if he doesn't find some kind of production in the NFL. Whether it's as a #2 or #3 I'm not sure but he's just too fundamentally solid (hands, routes, body control) not to make an NFL roster and help a team. He's probably a less risky pick than other WRs. He kind of reminds me of Jerricho Cotchery but with a little more upside. 

The issue with taking him at 18 is, there might/should be more physically talented pure #1 options at 18. Guys who you hope can change a D's game plan and the entire dynamic of a game. Landry is probably more of a compliment to an offense than a game changer. 

Good point. 

Archived