Jarvis Landry, WR LSU.

Villain The Foe

I guess so, still dont see Landry getting past the Redskins if he makes it to the 2nd round. Who would you pick at #18 then? 

Coming into the season Lee was my top choice, as I had yet to see what Watkins would do to rebound from his sophomore "slump."  Having watched them the entire season, I think I would be happy with any three of Watkins, Lee or Evans at #18.  I know Watkins was getting a lot of Pierre Garcon comparisons, but he has a lot more Percy Harvin in his game to me and Lee reminds me so much of Tory Holt, that I don't think you can go wrong with either. I made a thread prior to the season that we should watch out for Evans and that he was going to put up 1500 and 15 and the kid damned near did it: I see everyone putting up the Vincent Jackson comparison, but he reminds me a lot more of Jimmy Graham with how he plays. Doesn't have the same agility and speed in small spaces like VJax does, but has great long speed and body control like Graham, plus both he and Graham are great at working back to the football. 

Right now, I have to say that Watkins is the #1, especially how he closed out the season last night. Odds are we aren't going to land him, so for the needs of our team, I would personally like a Mike Evans and then a Brandin Cooks, Odelle Beckham or Jarvis Landry in the 2nd. I think that would compliment our team extremely well. Or, if we land Lee in the first, go someone like Jordan Matthews or Austin Sefarian Jenkins in the 2nd.

There's other guys too like Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews and Mike Davis who will be available in the second as well. Of those guys, I've only seen Matthews play and he's a guy who beat up on the SEC, has amazing hands and seems like a very high floor type of player. Bottom line, there's going to be a lot of guys coming out as far as offensive skill position goes.

Coming into the season Lee was my top choice, as I had yet to see what Watkins would do to rebound from his sophomore "slump."  Having watched them the entire season, I think I would be happy with any three of Watkins, Lee or Evans at #18.  I know Watkins was getting a lot of Pierre Garcon comparisons, but he has a lot more Percy Harvin in his game to me and Lee reminds me so much of Tory Holt, that I don't think you can go wrong with either. I made a thread prior to the season that we should watch out for Evans and that he was going to put up 1500 and 15 and the kid damned near did it: I see everyone putting up the Vincent Jackson comparison, but he reminds me a lot more of Jimmy Graham with how he plays. Doesn't have the same agility and speed in small spaces like VJax does, but has great long speed and body control like Graham, plus both he and Graham are great at working back to the football. 

Right now, I have to say that Watkins is the #1, especially how he closed out the season last night. Odds are we aren't going to land him, so for the needs of our team, I would personally like a Mike Evans and then a Brandin Cooks, Odelle Beckham or Jarvis Landry in the 2nd. I think that would compliment our team extremely well. Or, if we land Lee in the first, go someone like Jordan Matthews or Austin Sefarian Jenkins in the 2nd.

There's other guys too like Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews and Mike Davis who will be available in the second as well. Of those guys, I've only seen Matthews play and he's a guy who beat up on the SEC, has amazing hands and seems like a very high floor type of player. Bottom line, there's going to be a lot of guys coming out as far as offensive skill position goes.

Benjamin too

I love Landry too. I think it's a similar argument to the little OG vs. CB in the 1st round debate some of us were having.. By that I mean, Landry is probably one of the more consistent WRs in the draft. Maybe the ceiling isn't as high as others but the floor isn't as low. I will be amazed if he doesn't find some kind of production in the NFL. Whether it's as a #2 or #3 I'm not sure but he's just too fundamentally solid (hands, routes, body control) not to make an NFL roster and help a team. He's probably a less risky pick than other WRs. He kind of reminds me of Jerricho Cotchery but with a little more upside.

The issue with taking him at 18 is, there might/should be more physically talented pure #1 options at 18. Guys who you hope can change a D's game plan and the entire dynamic of a game. Landry is probably more of a compliment to an offense than a game changer. 

Was coming in to say exactly this. He is a great fit for the offense, as he is a solid, reliable type of receiver that we have been missing. Not a game changer, but our offense has been very different since Cotchery left. 

I watched every LSU game... The guy is gritty has a lot of heart Runs good routes and has great hands the only thing that concerns me is his height... Could be a mini Steve smith probably will better than kerley. But I'm not sure if we need a small receiver since we already have one I feel like we need big targets

Who would you take...Landry or Beckham Jr....if they were both there in the second?

Love Landry, but he's still the second best receiver on that team to my boy OB Jr, who's basically a beefed up Randall Cobb. If you've watched a lot of Giants' games, then you've basically seen what Landry is capable of doing at the next level with Randle. 

Both are solid pros, really depends on what you need. Personally, I'd prefer Beckham as someone who can get on the field immediately as a punt returner and earn his snaps on the offense as the season progresses. Still a high to mid second round pick though. There's a whole lot of value in the second round with guys like OB Jr, Landry, Cooks, Matthews, Robinson and Benji.

Odell Beckham Jr. is awesome. Explosive, separates, well built, can get up and pluck the ball at the highest point, looks like he's got really strong/soft hands, ability to make stuff happen after the catch, and the ST value you alluded to. Think he'd be a great fit for the offense too. I'd be a happy panda if he's there in the second.

It's not Cotchery.

Certainly not all - we definitely need a game breaking #1 receiver to become a great offense. But, even without that in the past, our offense was at least serviceable when we had a reliable #2. We have been statistically one of the worst offenses when we are force feeding the ball to the likes of Holmes/Hill/Gates. Get a couple new playmakers (Top flight TE/ FA WR/ and someone like Landry as a #2 receiver, and this offense looks a lot different. 

I guess so, still dont see Landry getting past the Redskins if he makes it to the 2nd round. Who would you pick at #18 then?

BAP no matter the position, 18 is a tough place to pick, if you draft strictly on need then there is a very good chance you end up drafting a player way to high, but if you just stick to your board, and grab BAP, and your scouting is good you guarantee a starter with your 1st round pick. I know a lot of people might tweak if we go defense, but if we can't trade back, and our board has BAP as a bunch of defensive players, and really only 2nd round grades on the remaining offensive players, you have to take the D player in this situation, and more than likely if there was a big run on offensive players the first 17 picks you will be getting a huge steal with a defensive player at 18. Then use your next 5 picks (2nd to 4th round) on WR's, TE's, RB's, and QB as you see fit as each pick presents itself. Starter on D, and 5 offensive playmaker positions is a great haul with your first 6 picks, and if 2 of those 5 turn out to be difference makers on offense you had an amazing draft.

Certainly not all - we definitely need a game breaking #1 receiver to become a great offense. But, even without that in the past, our offense was at least serviceable when we had a reliable #2. We have been statistically one of the worst offenses when we are force feeding the ball to the likes of Holmes/Hill/Gates. Get a couple new playmakers (Top flight TE/ FA WR/ and someone like Landry as a #2 receiver, and this offense looks a lot different. 

We also had Edwards and Holmes and Keller. Even with them, our passing offense wasn't that good, but good enough.

If we came away with Evans, and Cooks I would be happier than a pig in sh*t, and almost as happy if it was Lee, and Matthews! My problem is I don't see either of the top 3 falling to 18 unless 5 QB's go in the first 17 picks (which isn't impossible), and even then I still see those 3 off the board, with the Ravens snagging the last one at 17 (kinda like the Rams did with T Austin this year). But if 5 QB's, 3 WR's, Barr, Clowney, and the 2 OL guys are all picked before us that will leave A LOT of high end talent available at 18, but to most fans disappointment that talent is on D.

Im just kicking rocks at the experts, however, I  prefer to use my gut feeling 1st. Not to say that I wouldnt listen to scouts persay, I didnt know about Jarvis Landry until I first heard about him from Emory Hunt. But when I started watching him I was like "wow" kid can catch the football, run routes, put his shoulder down to deliver a hit...not just take one, isnt the best of run blockers but isnt afraid to throw his body into the mix and because of his big play ability he makes players around him better. 

I can see that from tape. I believe that he could be a very solid #2 WR in this league. Picking @ #18 we're most likely not going to get the Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee's of the world, but its not like we have a #2 WR anyway.

Have you checked out any footage of Brandin Cooks from Oregon St? If not take a look, he is another WR who plays about 3 to 4 inches taller than he actually is (5'10" with cleats lol). Right now he is considered a mid 2nd to early 3rd rounder, but that is based on him expected to run in the 4.5 to 4.6 40 range, but of he runs in the 4.3 to 4.4 range like some close to OSU believe (he put on 11 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and hasn't ran an official 40 to my knowledge since) he could be the guy who sky rockets up draft boards this year, his hands are possibly the best in this draft, and he can return punts, and kicks so he fills A LOT of holes, the biggest question is can he get off physical CB's in the NFL, but that's an easy fix by moving him around formations if that does become a problem.

Anyway someone posted a highlight reel of him the other day in a thread, of just google him, you will be impressed.

Im getting from you that there's alot of WR talent in the top 3 rounds (#1/#2 WR talent). Hopefully, we really need the help. 

BAP no matter the position, 18 is a tough place to pick, if you draft strictly on need then there is a very good chance you end up drafting a player way to high, but if you just stick to your board, and grab BAP, and your scouting is good you guarantee a starter with your 1st round pick. I know a lot of people might tweak if we go defense, but if we can't trade back, and our board has BAP as a bunch of defensive players, and really only 2nd round grades on the remaining offensive players, you have to take the D player in this situation, and more than likely if there was a big run on offensive players the first 17 picks you will be getting a huge steal with a defensive player at 18. Then use your next 5 picks (2nd to 4th round) on WR's, TE's, RB's, and QB as you see fit as each pick presents itself. Starter on D, and 5 offensive playmaker positions is a great haul with your first 6 picks, and if 2 of those 5 turn out to be difference makers on offense you had an amazing draft.

Seems smart. I kinda stopped there for a sec when you mentioned possibly drafting a defensive player, but you're right. If the top 17 goes all in on offense we may be able to get a top 5/10 talent defensive player (hopefully safety) at 18 and then load up on offensive talent in the later rounds. Seems like that would be something Idzik would do. He pretty much did it last year when he drafted Richardson. Most people were pissed (including myself) not because Richardson wasnt worth the pick but because we're so thin on the offensive side of the ball. At the end of the year however Richardson was the best 1st round talent taken and I see  anyone bitching about the pick today. 

Good point. 

Have you checked out any footage of Brandin Cooks from Oregon St? If not take a look, he is another WR who plays about 3 to 4 inches taller than he actually is (5'10" with cleats lol). Right now he is considered a mid 2nd to early 3rd rounder, but that is based on him expected to run in the 4.5 to 4.6 40 range, but of he runs in the 4.3 to 4.4 range like some close to OSU believe (he put on 11 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and hasn't ran an official 40 to my knowledge since) he could be the guy who sky rockets up draft boards this year, his hands are possibly the best in this draft, and he can return punts, and kicks so he fills A LOT of holes, the biggest question is can he get off physical CB's in the NFL, but that's an easy fix by moving him around formations if that does become a problem.

Anyway someone posted a highlight reel of him the other day in a thread, of just google him, you will be impressed.

Going to check him out right now. 

Im getting from you that there's alot of WR talent in the top 3 rounds (#1/#2 WR talent). Hopefully, we really need the help. 

There really is. Each successive year sets the new record for most underclassmen declaring for the draft, which leads to a lot of top talent being available. Coming into the year Watkins, Lee and Evans were the three guys I had my eye on as well as my LSU's OB Jr and Landry, just because I watch every game.

As the bowl games, senior bowl and combine shakes out, we'll get better feel for things, but I'm just not sure I see all three receivers going in the first 17 slots. Watkins is guaranteed to be gone, but I'm just not sure I see both Lee and Evans being off the board when 18 rolls around. 

Im just kicking rocks at the experts, however, I prefer to use my gut feeling 1st. Not to say that I wouldnt listen to scouts persay, I didnt know about Jarvis Landry until I first heard about him from Emory Hunt. But when I started watching him I was like "wow" kid can catch the football, run routes, put his shoulder down to deliver a hit...not just take one, isnt the best of run blockers but isnt afraid to throw his body into the mix and because of his big play ability he makes players around him better.

I can see that from tape. I believe that he could be a very solid #2 WR in this league. Picking @ #18 we're most likely not going to get the Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee's of the world, but its not like we have a #2 WR anyway.

The problem with draft conversation is that there are 900 dudes who claim they're draft "experts," but there are only about four guys who know what they're talking about.

The problem with draft conversation is that there are 900 dudes who claim they're draft "experts," but there are only about four guys who know what they're talking about.

You forget a couple zero's on the number of "dudes who claim they're draft experts" lol

We do need a big target, but what big target receiver with sure hands are we going to get at #18. Besides, Kerley is 5'11 and Landry is 6'1 and he's faster than kerley. The guy's not small, he's just not huge.

You're obviously an LSU fan so debating you would just be nonsense, but if Sammy Watkins (who is also just 6'1) and Marquise Lee (who is shorter at just 6'0) are off the board then who are we drafting at #18 with the height/hands ratio that we will need? You as an LSU fan could certain confirm for us that Landry catches pretty much everything in his direction. If thats the case then why not draft him if he has some of the best hands, if not, the best hands in the draft with good, not huge size?

Who do you have in mind at 18?

No I've stood next to Jarvis more than one time he is 5'11" at best... Idk who we could pick up at 18 if those 3 are gone.. Maybe draft another offensive need and try to get him Odell beckham or kelvin Benjamin a 6'5 wr from fl state in the 2nd rd...

No I've stood next to Jarvis more than one time he is 5'11" at best... Idk who we could pick up at 18 if those 3 are gone.. Maybe draft another offensive need and try to get him Odell beckham or kelvin Benjamin a 6'5 wr from fl state in the 2nd rd...

Tight end maybe? I just dont like that pick in general. So many busts that we've drafted at the position mixed with the fact of so many legit level TE's drafted in the later rounds over the past few years. 

Damn, the 18th pick is a weird position to be in. Nothing that makes you feel super sure and you always have the point of view of a team "reaching". 

Probably would be best...they got 2 or 3 TEs that should be pretty good.. Personally I like the guy from Washington but he had a DUI and missed games this season could drop to the 2nd rd too..could draft Ebrom from North Carolina too he is a projected 1st rd

I hear Ebrom is very good. He can catch and block but I hear that he's a terrible route runner. 

I can't say it enough, but Beckham is my favorite receiver in this year's draft. If he ends up in green and white, I'm personally spear-heading a collection that will send a dozen hookers to Idzik's hotel room.

He's a faster Randall Cobb and seems more polished than Cobb was coming out of Kentucky. Kid has strong and large hands for his size: just go check out him catching a kick-off one-handed. 

I can't say it enough, but Beckham is my favorite receiver in this year's draft. If he ends up in green and white, I'm personally spear-heading a collection that will send a dozen hookers to Idzik's hotel room.

He's a faster Randall Cobb and seems more polished than Cobb was coming out of Kentucky. Kid has strong and large hands for his size: just go check out him catching a kick-off one-handed. 

There's one diving/falling catch he had downfield against UAB where he ends up holding the ball with one hand towards the end of the catch and you can see he's got those big mitts and just catches the ball really effortlessly. Had a really nice grab on the sideline in the bowl game against Iowa too.

Donte Moncrief is another interesting guy who wouldn't be a bad dice roll in the second or third. Lots of upside. I prefer Beckham though. He's got almost everything, just not ideal height. Like a really rich man's version of Golden Tate.

There's one diving/falling catch he had downfield against UAB where he ends up holding the ball with one hand towards the end of the catch and you can see he's got those big mitts and just catches the ball really effortlessly. Had a really nice grab on the sideline in the bowl game against Iowa too.

Donte Moncrief is another interesting guy who wouldn't be a bad dice roll in the second or third. Lots of upside. I prefer Beckham though. He's got almost everything, just not ideal height. Like a really rich man's version of Golden Tate.

Yea, that was a nice sideline effort in the Iowa game. Unfortunately once Zach went down with the ACL, Jennings didn't offer the the same threat in the passing attack so we didn't see more of Beckham and Landry, but that one catch did illustrate pretty well just how easily he catches the ball. Although he's listed at 6', I'd be surprised of he measures in over 5'10.5" and unless he runs sub 4.4, I have a hard time imagining he makes it into the first round, but also feel he'll be selected somewhere in the top 10 picks in second round and well before our 50th slot.

Yea, that was a nice sideline effort in the Iowa game. Unfortunately once Zach went down with the ACL, Jennings didn't offer the the same threat in the passing attack so we didn't see more of Beckham and Landry, but that one catch did illustrate pretty well just how easily he catches the ball. Although he's listed at 6', I'd be surprised of he measures in over 5'10.5" and unless he runs sub 4.4, I have a hard time imagining he makes it into the first round, but also feel he'll be selected somewhere in the top 10 picks in second round and well before our 50th slot.

I didn't know that he's a little shorter than listed, that's interesting. Agree on where he lands (in the second but before the Jets), I think even at a sub 4.4 he's going to struggle to get into the first unless a team falls in love with him just because of how deep the class is. There's going to be a ton of good values at WR. Similar to the year they drafted Cotchery where the class was just crazy deep, it was evident he was better than a 4th most years and obviously he's produced that way. Part of why I think they wait on WR till the second or Tampa's third unless it's BPA in the first (along with the fact that I think that's just Idzik's strategy).

I didn't know that he's a little shorter than listed, that's interesting. Agree on where he lands (in the second but before the Jets), I think even at a sub 4.4 he's going to struggle to get into the first unless a team falls in love with him just because of how deep the class is. There's going to be a ton of good values at WR. Similar to the year they drafted Cotchery where the class was just crazy deep, it was evident he was better than a 4th most years and obviously he's produced that way. Part of why I think they wait on WR till the second or Tampa's third unless it's BPA in the first (along with the fact that I think that's just Idzik's strategy).

I know deep is deep, but skill guys are often more boom or bust than other spots.  Sure that 2004 draft got you Berrian and Cotchery later on, but before them teams selected Rayshaun Woods. Darius Watts and Derrick Hamilton. Guys that look great now and at the combine may be sh*t in September. This is why I think we need a capable FA starter and add some skill through the draft.  I have no faith that either will pay off, so go with the shotgun approach.

I know deep is deep, but skill guys are often more boom or bust than other spots.  Sure that 2004 draft got you Berrian and Cotchery later on, but before them teams selected Rayshaun Woods. Darius Watts and Derrick Hamilton. Guys that look great now and at the combine may be sh*t in September. This is why I think we need a capable FA starter and add some skill through the draft.  I have no faith that either will pay off, so go with the shotgun approach.

I 100% agree that they have to add a capable starting WR in free agency. If they don't, I think they're making a huge mistake. And I expect them to, given Idzik has said FA is for needs and the draft is for depth.

But then adding a capable starting WR in free agency would, in my opinion, enable them to not worry about needing to draft a wideout in the first round this year. And then the depth on top of that helps too. Then they can go more or less BPA in the first - as they should - and get somebody in the second or early third who's a starting caliber WR. Then solid FA starts across from winner of day 2 draft pick, Nelson, and Hill in TC plus Kerley in the slot.

And it's not like I think they need to wait until day 2, I just think odds are that's the best scenario. It's not like Sammy Watkins is going to be sitting there at 18, and I think the drop off WR in terms of value is going to be less steep than other positions. But by all means if WR is the best pick in the first round you make it = wouldn't catch me complaining that we didn't wait until the second or third because it's a deep class if that was the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you and just HAPPEN to John Idzik sooooo....Lets say I tried and send me the hookers.

Archived