Cro expects to get cut.

eboozer

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/buzz-cromartie-expects-to-be-cut-hopes-to-re-sign/

In Rich Cimini’s Sunday dispatch, he provides some an interesting nugget on cornerback Antonio Cromartie:

Cromartie told teammates he expects the Jets to release him, but that he hopes to re-sign after testing the market.

Cromartie has a $5m roster bonus due in March so restructuring his current deal isn’t a viable option, unless it were the kind of long-term big money extension that he’s no longer realistically going to be able to command.

Cromartie signed with “Super Agency” CAA a couple of years ago, presumably in hopes of attaining a massive payday at the end of his current contract. However, his struggles this year, coupled with uncertainty over whether the hip issues that slowed him down this year will continue to bother him going forward probably mean that the best he can hope for now is an incentive laden deal with no long-term commitment. It’s refreshing to see that he is apparently aware of the situation though, because it’s often the case that nobody wins when players enter into a negotiation with unrealistic expectations.

At least he won't have any hard feelings toward us and we can re-sign him at a morereasonable price

I hope that's exactly what happens with Cro.   Kind of feel bad for him.  Had a great season in 2012, but the hip injury really laid him low this year.

Tricky situation.  He will only be 30 next year, and should be in the peak of his career, but this hip could be the end of his career.  Nobody is going to pay him much because of the hip, hope the Jets take a chance on him on a low risk deal

I don't think 30 yrs. of age represents the peak of a CB's career..... QB/ OL yes.... CB/RB no

That said I'd still hope they sign him to a 3 yr deal... front loaded, team options, incentive laden. 

If Cromartie played at Revis levels (again?), he still wouldn't be worth the $15M he's due next year on his current contract. I don't think anyone's gonna break the bank for him. He should recognize, too, that if it's health that was the issue this year, and that's correctable, that Rex's defense gives him the best opportunity to showcase his skills next season. A one year deal could make a lot of sense for both sides. 

If Cromartie played at Revis levels (again?), he still wouldn't be worth the $15M he's due next year on his current contract. I don't think anyone's gonna break the bank for him. He should recognize, too, that if it's health that was the issue this year, and that's correctable, that Rex's defense gives him the best opportunity to showcase his skills next season. A one year deal could make a lot of sense for both sides.

Bring him back and go get a another CB mid rounds in the draft.

I'm hoping Rontez Miles can develop this yr. Special teams and 4th Safety spot could have him ready for 2015 to start contributing in a big way

Kind of have to appreciate that Cro would even say something like that.  You know there are tons of players throughout this league that, no matter how necessary it may be for the team under the circumstances, would never return to a team that cut them.  For Cro to acknowledge that he knows it will happen, doesn't seem to take issue with it, and would still actually like to come back is pretty cool.  Now of course the price would have to be right, but if so I would certainly be happy with the Jets doing that.  I'd still say you make another move at CB anyway, but if last season was really a matter of health more than anything, and he can get back to the level he was playing at in 2011/2012, that could be huge for the Jets and a major steal.

Kind of have to appreciate that Cro would even say something like that.  You know there are tons of players throughout this league that, no matter how necessary it may be for the team under the circumstances, would never return to a team that cut them.  For Cro to acknowledge that he knows it will happen, doesn't seem to take issue with it, and would still actually like to come back is pretty cool.  Now of course the price would have to be right, but if so I would certainly be happy with the Jets doing that.  I'd still say you make another move at CB anyway, but if last season was really a matter of health more than anything, and he can get back to the level he was playing at in 2011/2012, that could be huge for the Jets and a major steal.

Adios Cro, and dont get run over by Holmes and Sanchez as you hold the door.

Adios Cro, and dont get run over by Holmes and Sanchez as you hold the door.

That's some insightful stuff right there.  After all, the three of them have so much in common, particularly the part where Holmes and Sanchez are a year removed from Pro Bowl seasons with the Jets (or ever, for that matter) and displayed a willingness to come back on reduced contracts.

That's some insightful stuff right there.  After all, the three of them have so much in common, particularly the part where Holmes and Sanchez are a year removed from Pro Bowl seasons with the Jets (or ever, for that matter) and displayed a willingness to come back on reduced contracts.

New Blood?

FWIW, I think Holmes said he would like to stay on a reduced deal. 

And what other top flight CB is avail ? If u want him to stay better to extend him

Why?  He sucked.  The Jets should have a better idea of his status than others.  You want names?  Aquib Talil, Deangelo Hall, Captain Munnerlyn. Vontae Davis.  There are plenty of younger guys that would be better targets - particularly than Hall and Munnerlyn.  Chris Cook?  Tarell Brown?  There are plenty of others.  There is no reason to pay an older corner with chronic hip problems who is coming off a poor season $9.5M.

And what other top flight CB is avail ? If u want him to stay better to extend him

Why?  He sucked.  The Jets should have a better idea of his status than others.  You want names?  Aquib Talil, Deangelo Hall, Captain Munnerlyn. Vontae Davis.  There are plenty of younger guys that would be better targets - particularly than Hall and Munnerlyn.  Chris Cook?  Tarell Brown?  There are plenty of others.  There is no reason to pay an older corner with chronic hip problems who is coming off a poor season $9.5M.

Not younger, maybe not even "top flight" but Peanut Tillman might be available.  I've always liked his play.  He could be this year's "old guy in the secondary" guy. 

Bit said in his post that they could always resign Cro, and they can. His current contract isn't something they can extend, and Cro recognizes this. He has a $5M roster bonus due in March. That's why he expects to be cut. The Jets aren't paying that, and they're not renegotiating that.

Archived