Five Issues Facing the Jets

flgreen

Thank you, but the prevailing thoughts on this board are and I quote:"Johnny Unitas in his prime couldnt win with these weapons"" Most DIII schools have better weapons than the Jets"" Most of our weapons came from the Heampstead Dunkin Donuts"Andy Dalton showed what an awful QB can do, even with pro-bowlers as weapons. If the guy slinging it sucks, it just doesnt matter who's running a 4.3, and vertical leaping 48.

No delusion is too outrsgeous if it convinces jets fans that the team didnt swing and miss yet again on a qb draft pick

No delusion is too outrsgeous if it convinces jets fans that the team didnt swing and miss yet again on a qb draft pick

Not only Jet fans, but unfortunately , management, ownereship, and coaches, as they watched Sanchez for 4 abhorrent years, gave him an extension, and then were going to have him sling it this year, just to torture us for another year. It will be quite enlightening to see how long it takes them to give up on Geno. Lets hope its not 4 years, and a crazy extension.

Not only Jet fans, but unfortunately , management, ownereship, and coaches, as they watched Sanchez for 4 abhorrent years, gave him an extension, and then were going to have him sling it this year, just to torture us for another year. It will be quite enlightening to see how long it takes them to give up on Geno. Lets hope its not 4 years, and a crazy extension.

He is tied to rex now. If geno stinks next year bye bye rex. No way this team gets every lucky break like this year to scrape together an 8-8 record despite playing at a 3 or 4 win level. If rex is here in 2015 then geno performed well so he stays the starter.

He is tied to rex now. If geno stinks next year bye bye rex. No way this team gets every lucky break like this year to scrape together an 8-8 record despite playing at a 3 or 4 win level. If rex is here in 2015 then geno performed well so he stays the starter.

Your probably right on with this assessment. The only thing that obviously could change all that is if the JETS actually draft a QB or sign a FA QB, who beats out Geno(which shouldnt be that hard to do, as Geno was the worst rated QB in the NFL). We shall see come FA and Draft season.

Your probably right on with this assessment. The only thing that obviously could change all that is if the JETS actually draft a QB or sign a FA QB, who beats out Geno(which shouldnt be that hard to do, as Geno was the worst rated QB in the NFL). We shall see come FA and Draft season.

Would love to see it but my gut says it wont happen. We will get a journeyman in who arguably performs better than geno incamp and preseason but is benched in favor of geno's "higher ceiling."

Would love to see it but my gut says it wont happen. We will get a journeyman in who arguably performs better than geno incamp and preseason but is benched in favor of geno's "higher ceiling."

Yeah because journeyman QBs have filled the NFL Playoffs.

Yeah because journeyman QBs have filled the NFL Playoffs.

I dont think i made my point very well. I am saying i predict jets dont want geno to lose out in a competition. Thus jets will not make a move for an obvious upgrade. Will instead put a mark burnell or if we are lucky chad henne bandaid on it, and even after the patsy earns the job by inevitably outplaying geno, they still wont start him.

I dont think i made my point very well. I am saying i predict jets dont want geno to lose out in a competition. Thus jets will not make a move for an obvious upgrade. Will instead put a mark burnell or if we are lucky chad henne bandaid on it, and even after the patsy earns the job by inevitably outplaying geno, they still wont start him.

Well at this point it has to be Geno's job to lose.   I wasn't impressed by him this season, but he showed enough and they don't have anybody else, so lets see if you can improve with an offseason, coaching, mentoring, and hopefully more weapons on offense.        

If they really think Geno is no good, then they should figure a way to find that potential Franchise QB.   I mean years ago nobody on the team seemed to think a second round QB(Kellen) was the future and he never even got that many games to prove or disprove as they utilized Pennington, Favre, then drafted Sanchez.

I'm not sure why Geno is getting so much more love than most second round players, but he is and either he is the guy or he isn't and this team and staff need to figure that out.   To me it's pointless to bring in a Henne or some other guy like Simms who they draft in the 5th round, i mean Simms is their backup and cheap. Why spend a ton of money or a pick on another Simms.     Hell they brought in Brady Quinn and cut him soon thereafter.   He was at least a first round pick years ago.   

If they think some guy is the guy in this years draft, then they pick him.   But wasting a pick on some journey type QB is pointless to me.

Why on earth would we sign Henne or McCown? Michael Vick, maybe, if he doesn't ask for too much. Hakeem Nicks is done. The only guy on the free agent list that I would want is Maclin, depending on his asking price and how we'll the rehab on his knee is going.

Also, believe it not, I don't think the QB position is the top priority, the WRs are. Seriously, Johnny Unitas in his prime probably wouldn't have done better than 8-8 with the Jets WRs this past season. Smith can definitely scramble, and has shown that he can throw the ball downfield with some accuracy and velocity. He's definitely earned a chance to compete for the starting spot.

Henne wouldn't be a terrible idea if they think Geno can build off of his last few games. Add a QB in the middle rounds as well, and that's a far better lineup than what we've had the last few years.

As for receivers, Maclin and Nicks are risky moves. I think Golden Tate would be a nice fit here. Pair him up with an early round receiver or TE in the draft, and the offense suddenly looks much better.

Well at this point it has to be Geno's job to lose.   I wasn't impressed by him this season, but he showed enough and they don't have anybody else, so lets see if you can improve with an offseason, coaching, mentoring, and hopefully more weapons on offense.        

If they really think Geno is no good, then they should figure a way to find that potential Franchise QB.   I mean years ago nobody on the team seemed to think a second round QB(Kellen) was the future and he never even got that many games to prove or disprove as they utilized Pennington, Favre, then drafted Sanchez.

I'm not sure why Geno is getting so much more love than most second round players, but he is and either he is the guy or he isn't and this team and staff need to figure that out.   To me it's pointless to bring in a Henne or some other guy like Simms who they draft in the 5th round, i mean Simms is their backup and cheap. Why spend a ton of money or a pick on another Simms.     Hell they brought in Brady Quinn and cut him soon thereafter.   He was at least a first round pick years ago.   

If they think some guy is the guy in this years draft, then they pick him.   But wasting a pick on some journey type QB is pointless to me.

The FO didn't seem to think it was in any way Geno's job next year.  Idzik seemed to go out of his way to indicate that right now the Jets starting QB job was up for grabs.

The reason geno is getting so much love, is that Sanchez got hurt last year, and right now there is no one else.  If a quality QB becomes available through some miracle,  that will change quickly. 

The FO didn't seem to think it was in any way Geno's job next year. Idzik seemed to go out of his way to indicate that right now the Jets starting QB job was up for grabs.

The reason geno is getting so much love, is that Sanchez got hurt last year, and right now there is no one else. If a quality QB becomes available through some miracle, that will change quickly.

The basic problem with the jets is we aren't sure if we have a QB ! We aren't sure if genos the guy so it's a terriable spot to be in. Until this is fixed its tough to be a consistent winner and playoff team !! It's also tough to get skill guys through FA also unless u over pay . If ur decker or another top FA why come here when ur not sure of the HC or Qb will be here after a year !

I don't care if it's Geno, or Bridgewater or Manziel or whoever. You can't evaluate a QB with this combination of wide receivers, tight ends and running backs. You just can't.

Look at what happened to Tom Brady for parts of this year when he was without his targets. Yes, he still had a good season in the end but remember even Geno outdueled him in week 7.

Look at what happened when Geno had Kerley, compared to when he didn't. Huge difference!

Get weapons everywhere... receivers, tight ends, backs... put them around Geno. The worst thing that could happen is that he fails and we have to trade up in the 2015 draft for a QB. But even if that happens, at least THAT QB will have targets, at least that QB would get a fair chance.

Article lost me at "fix the mess of 2013" to be honest.

2012 = mess.

2011 = mess.

2013 went better than most expected, and saw one of the NFL's youngest rosters get more minutes for their rookies than any team in the league.

8 wins is impressive, all things considered.

He lost me when he suggested the Jets may NOT resign Big Mo. 

Get weapons everywhere... receivers, tight ends, backs... put them around Geno. The worst thing that could happen is that he fails and we have to trade up in the 2015 draft for a QB. But even if that happens, at least THAT QB will have targets, at least that QB would get a fair chance.

This is the way to do it.

Another big advantage will be that if the chronic complainers are right, and Rex and Geno totally suck, the Jets won't have that far to trade up for QB at all next year. Win-win.

This is the way to do it.

Another big advantage will be that if the chronic complainers are right, and Rex and Geno totally suck, the Jets won't have that far to trade up for QB at all next year. Win-win.

The Jets definitely need playmakers to surround the QB but they also need legit competition for Geno during the off-season and training camp.   

I would love to draft Bridgewater or Manziel but realistically there is no way the Jets can get them.   The question becomes which QBs are capable of coming in and starting next year?  

The Jets definitely need playmakers to surround the QB but they also need legit competition for Geno during the off-season and training camp.   

I would love to draft Bridgewater or Manziel but realistically there is no way the Jets can get them.   The question becomes which QBs are capable of coming in and starting next year?  

For FA's , Vick and McCown absolutely would beat out Geno. Henne would give him all he could handle. and If they did not trade up and stayed at #18, and then in a later round took either McCarron, Muuray, or Mettenberg, any of these 3 could also compete with Geno. Remember, they would be competeing with the lowest rated QB in the NFL.

Archived