Could LSU solve our draft? (interesting mock scenario)

Greenseed4

Walt, over at WalterFootball.com just released his newest (live) mock draft today 1/7

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

The following mock is based upon players that would be available to us given his draft predictions.  (I should preface this with the acknowledgement that selecting players in a different order than he has them, would change the subsequent picks...I still found this exercise fun, and it poses an interesting mock scenario).

1st Round. Rather than drafting Jace Amaro as he has listed, (and who I've voiced against on many other threads), we select: the #1 CB in the draft Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State, [who he has going to the Eagles at #22]. 

2nd Round.  Rather than drafting Davante Adams, a terrific prospect in his own right, we select: Odell Beckham, WR, LSU [who he has going at the top of the third round].

3rd Round.  We select: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU.  Because he is there...and also because he's the key to making this idea interesting.  

3rd Round.  We select Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A draftable QB, who could potentially start in the NFL...and also his top two wideouts, both excellent prospects in their own right.  Would drafting a QB with TWO players he has incredible familiarity with benefit a struggling offense?  I don't know.  But according to Walt, this potential scenario could be possible. 

Last year, St Louis drafted two WRs from West Virginia in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey.  Would their production have been different if Geno went along with them? You know, the whole security blanket idea.  Once again, I don't know. But I've seen posters go to bat for all three of these prospects.  What if we were able to land all three of them?  Perhaps the transition would be a lil easier.  

Food for thought. 

Selecting another corner in the first round will cause many heads to explode.

It would be great.

Taking a QB and two WRs from the same school would probably result in Geno's head exploding, too. It would certainly come across as a strong vote of no confidence.

in general this team will pick up more SEC players than they did in the past, esp at the top end. both first rounders were SEC guys. 

that being said Landry vs Beckham is just getting started. Landry runs better routes and more of a playmaker. Beckham is faster. In the end both might be gone around the same time, cusp 1-2.

It's not common that talented, same-school QB and WRs become available in the same year, or that a drafting team has a need at both positions. 

We are in a unique position where we could feasibly get two talented receivers to pair with their quarterback.  I don't see how that would be bad for the transition into the NFL, or how that wouldn't be awesome come crunch time to yell out some old school LSU audible. 

Just went from six to midnight. Wouldn't even complain about the Dennard pick, kid is the real deal. 

As Slats said, drafting Zach on top of Landry and Beckham could be construed as a vote of no-confidence, but if he's the only QB chosen and done so in the 3rd round, I have to imagine Geno wouldn't feel too threatened. And who cares, it's his job to lose as of now and if he can't beat out a rookie, coming off of major knee surgery, then he doesn't deserve it.  I happen to love the scenario as I think Geno is going to build upon the end of this year and run away with the job and I also feel Zach could develop into a very good quarterback himself.

So everyone realizes Mettenberger was kicked out of Georgia for molesting chicks, right?

Ehh, you're making it sound much worse. Kid was 18, drunk on spring break and grabbed the waitresses ass and t!ts. Wrong? Absolutely. He plead guilty afterward and accepted responsibility. However, sonsidering there hasn't been any reported incident since, I'm gonna chalk it up to a kid fresh out of high school who couldn't handle his booze and got a little handsy. If only he were the starting QB down in Tallahassee, he could sleep with her and get it swept under the rug.

Ehh, you're making it sound much worse. Kid was 18, drunk on spring break and grabbed the waitresses ass and t!ts. Wrong? Absolutely. He plead guilty afterward and accepted responsibility. However, sonsidering there hasn't been any reported incident since, I'm gonna chalk it up to a kid fresh out of high school who couldn't handle his booze and got a little handsy. If only he were the starting QB down in Tallahassee, he could sleep with her and get it swept under the rug.

I know the SEC is like the moral compass of the NCAA.

I know the SEC is like the moral compass of the NCAA.

Haha I'm not saying it is, it's absolute bedlum down there. Half the kids arrested for domestic abuse or drunken disorderly will roll into church twice a week. I'm just merely putting it in context for other people who aren't familiar with the situation, when you can have Big Ben's sexual assault vs Zach's.

Highly touted players for nationally ranked teams get preference regardless of what conference you're in, that's universal. If Zach was UG's starting QB for three years, I bet ya this would have been swept under the rug.

• 4 weeks later...

Landry will not drop to the 3rd rd

The OP was based upon the availability of players in the Walters.com Mock draft (released 1/17).  I realize that as the process sorts itself out, the draft won't likely shake out that way (with us getting Dennard, and then the 3 Tigers).  However,  it isn't entirely unfeasible to see us take OBJ at #18, move up with our second round pick (using our late 3rd as bait), to nab Landry, and then grab Mettenburger in the early 3rd.  If we so choose. 

The OP was based upon the availability of players in the Walters.com Mock draft (released 1/17).  I realize that as the process sorts itself out, the draft won't likely shake out that way (with us getting Dennard, and then the 3 Tigers).  However,  it isn't entirely unfeasible to see us take OBJ at #18, move up with our second round pick (using our late 3rd as bait), to nab Landry, and then grab Mettenburger in the early 3rd.  If we so choose. 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Landry dropped to the 3rd and I actually really like the kid. There's just only so many picks per round and there's a solid 10 guys who are getting a lot of pub right now: I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Matthews, Landry, Robinson or Richardson available in the 3rd. Especially if guys like Huff, Mike davis and abbredaies gain some more steam.  

Just off the top of my head you've got 7 or so guys listed as potential first rounders, of which I can't remember the last time that many went so early. Now a lot of this doesn't matter until the combine, but Watkins, Evans, Lee, Benjamin, Beckham, Robinson and Cooks have all been mentioned in the first round thus far and I just can't see that many going. I think for once we might luck out where one of our most glaring weaknesses matches with the strengths of the draft. Too often it seems the opposite.  

Archived