Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine reach the Hall of Fame in '14

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10261922/baseball-hall-fame-class-2014-announced

NEW YORK -- Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas were elected to baseball's Hall of Fame on Wednesday, while Craig Biggio fell two votes short.

Maddux was picked on 555 of 571 ballots by members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. His 97.2 percentage was the eighth-highest in the history of voting.

Glavine, Maddux's longtime teammate in the Atlanta rotation, appeared on 525 ballots and received 91.9 percent. Thomas, the Hall of Famer who spent the majority of his career was a designated hitter, was at 483.

Biggio, in his second appearance, was at 427 votes and 74.8 percent, matching Nellie Fox in 1985 and Pie Traynor in 1947 for the smallest margin to just miss.

Jack Morris, in his 15th and final appearance, fell 78 votes short at 61.5 percent on a crowded ballot.

Roger Clemens (37.6 in 2013 to 35.4 in 2014), Barry Bonds (36.2 to 34.7), Mark McGwire (16.9 to 11.0), Sammy Sosa (12.5 to 7.2) and Rafael Palmeiro (8.8 to 4.4), who all compiled big numbers but were tainted by the Steroids Era, each saw their vote percentages drop. Clemens drew the most votes with 202.

Former Astros standout Jeff Bagwell (59.6 last year, 54.3 this year) and longtime Montreal Expo Tim Raines (52.2 to 46.1) were also among a group of 15 candidates who saw their vote percentages fall from 2013. Pitcher Lee Smith suffered the biggest dropoff, receiving 171 votes (29.9) after drawing 272 votes (47.8) in 2013.

Maddux, Glavine and Thomas will be inducted in Cooperstown on July 27 along with managers Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and Tony La Russa, elected last month by the expansion-era committee.

While he doe sown some of his success to McGwire, he did win a lot of games and 2 titles after he retired.

Just saying if a manger knowingly penciled in a guy who was using PED's...then the guys that used should be able to get in too.

Just saying if a manger knowingly penciled in a guy who was using PED's...then the guys that used should be able to get in too.

Technically, it was legal when he was putting Mark MgWire in the lineup.  Plus, McGwire was a one trick pony.  He doe snot deserve entry. 

I'm so tired of these votes by the writers. It's such a joke. I think they got it mostly right this time, but the guys who voted for Jacque Jones and Armando Benetiz is just ridiculous.

Could not agree more.  I have no issue with writers taking a stance on roids.  I do not agree with it, but it is what it is.  The issue I have is leaving Maddux off ballots ( the latest example).  That they feel there is no 100% player ever is ridiculous.  A guy Pedro probably had 20 pounds on dominates.  Those 16 guys and the guys that voted for your two above deserve to have their votes removed long before Lebatard does.

Technically, it was legal when he was putting Mark MgWire in the lineup.  Plus, McGwire was a one trick pony.  He doe snot deserve entry. 

Could not agree more.  I have no issue with writers taking a stance on roids.  I do not agree with it, but it is what it is.  The issue I have is leaving Maddux off ballots ( the latest example).  That they feel there is no 100% player ever is ridiculous.  A guy Pedro probably had 20 pounds on dominates.  Those 16 guys and the guys that voted for your two above deserve to have their votes removed long before Lebatard does.

If it were legal- then Bonds should be in.

There's no point in having a Hall of Fame if Barry Bonds isnt in anyways.

I have no arguments there and think, IMHO, is where the voters should draw the line.

I think most people believe Bonds would have been in regardless.  Let him in.

Roger would likely have been in as well if he did not use.  He could have hung around long enough to get well into the 200s.  He might have to wait a few votes, but he gets in.

McGwire hit homeruns.  His total s were nice, but not Hall worthy before the mid-90s. 

Glavine has a worse career ERA and WHIp than Schilling but Glavine was on better teams and a nicer guy. It's a terrible process.

Fully realizing Glavine played on a good to great team for most of his career, he won 300 which means something. 

Sure. It does. Glavine was a great pitcher. Wins is about as overrate a stat as stats get.

It is not gong to get any easier for Schilling.  Pedro and Johnson are eligible next year.  Smoltz to.

Wins are, but they are a measure.  Schilling is penalized for his slow start due to injuries.   

We can't have a Hall of Fame without Bonds, but we can have one without Rose?

Yes.

Bonds, technically, did not break any rules.  Rose did and he broke the most egregious one.

Lifetime ban.  Let him in after he dies.

This idiot BBWAA voter Marty Noble is on the FAN this AM. He failed to vote for Biggio and Piazza best I can tell "because". But he likes using the work "steroids!" a lot.Despite no hard proof of PED use, "A lot of people thought" they used PEDs, so his "gut" tells him they should not be HoFers.Very scientific.

What a joke. They need to overhaul this process. The fans would do a better job.

Schilling, Mussina and GLavine are all superior than DOn Sutton, and even with his 300 wins he is a HoFer. SUtton wasn't even ever the best pticher on his own team. I have nothing against the guy but these idiot writers put him for hims 300 wins (because he hung around forever). Also these same DBs put admitted cheater Gaylord Perry in and now want their virginity back. No sale.

Archived