Sign in to follow this  
Villain The Foe

Luck Yes, Ge...No for Jet Fans?

Elway and Peyton at one time were called "playoff chokers" too.  How'd that work out?  Luck will eventually be known as one of the top 3 QB's of the post-Brady/Manning generation, if not the best.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

Elway and Peyton at one time were called "playoff chokers" too.  How'd that work out?  Luck will eventually be known as one of the top 3 QB's of the post-Brady/Manning generation, if not the best.

Could not agree more. Luck is one of those that you just know has IT. We knew it with Peyton, Elway, etc no matter how much they may have struggled early. You just knew they were great, just like LUCK. That dude is tough, is fearleass, can make all the throws and LOVES the pressure and the big spot. He is great, period.

Then you have the exact opposite, the ones that you know dont have it, are just bad, and will be perpetual backups, and unfortunately, the past 2 the Jets have had fit that description to a tee. Time for the Jets to try again. period.

So if we traded for Chad Henne, we'd be upgrading the QB position?

1.  He's a UFA, so we won't be trading anything, unless you're counting a potential 6th or 7th round compensatory pick in 2015.

2.  We're not finding a starter in free agency this year.  Unless you have an elite QB most teams these days recognize the need to hang onto a decent backup at the right price.  All we're looking for is a guy who can step in if needed and not be a total dumpster fire like a Mark Brunell or Matt Simms.  Henne would fit the bill there.

Man, its like you SOJF's just dont get it. Let me slow it down for you.

You said that Luck was being asked to do more than Wilson. Thats stupid. They're both asked to win football games. Wilson is going to his 2nd NFCCG in 2 years and has a 16-1 record at home. 

So if you want to go with your logic then based on the fact that Geno had absolutely nothing on offense yet the Colts only won 2 more games than the Jets then I could say something equally as stupid. Not that it would make the statement true of course. MY apologies for stooping to that level of logic. 

Wilson is better than Luck because at the end of the day he's leaving it on the field and its producing W's and playoff wins. Luck is throwing 8 INT's to just 6 TD's and is barely completing over 50% of his passes in his playoff games which is 1-3 by the way. 

Wilson lost to the Falcons in the divisionals last year.   Carry on.

1. He's a UFA, so we won't be trading anything, unless you're counting a potential 6th or 7th round compensatory pick in 2015.

2. We're not finding a starter in free agency this year. Unless you have an elite QB most teams these days recognize the need to hang onto a decent backup at the right price. All we're looking for is a guy who can step in if needed and not be a total dumpster fire like a Mark Brunell or Matt Simms. Henne would fit the bill there.

I was trying to be funny but let's assume I wasn't. I agree with #1. But not #2. The Jags have excellent skill ayers on the offense, unlike the Jets. Henne did light up the nfl with em. He has reached his maximum potential IMO. He might be marginally better than Geno Smith but Geno's potential is far better than Henne.

Do we keep forgetting we had a rookie QB with no offensive player??

I agree with you 100%, but few will. Luck was anointed as the next "guy" so people see that. He is certainly talented and his size extends a lot of plays like Rapelisburger. But I am not that impressed with him as a QB, for the exact reasons you mention. The Colts get behind, often BECAUSE of Luck, then teams go soft, he throws every down to very very underrrated skill players, and they catch up, But he's Luck and already in the hall of fame according to many so thats what they see. Geno on the other hand is the exact opposite. He was branded a bust before camp and no matter what good he does people refuse to see that he could be a franchise guy. 

No he won't. I just don't see it.

I agree with you 100%, but few will. Luck was anointed as the next "guy" so people see that. He is certainly talented and his size extends a lot of plays like Rapelisburger. But I am not that impressed with him as a QB, for the exact reasons you mention. The Colts get behind, often BECAUSE of Luck, then teams go soft, he throws every down to very very underrrated skill players, and they catch up, But he's Luck and already in the hall of fame according to many so thats what they see. Geno on the other hand is the exact opposite. He was branded a bust before camp and no matter what good he does people refuse to see that he could be a franchise guy. 

Yep.

Well I guess we'll just have to take your word for it and ignore all facts and rational thought put together by actual football minds.

I'd love to hear who you think is the best QB under 26 right now.

When the Colts get behind "because of LUCK" (which is ludicrous in itself), at least you dont shut the TV off and head for the fridge, as the dude, has had some incredible comebacks already in his career (in the playoffs), whereas when we get behind with Geno, the other teams "panic" run the ball into the line 3 times and then punt, as that is a great strategy against Geno and this offense.

Yes, I have annointed LUCK, and also have annointed Geno, but unfortunately each resides at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Well I guess we'll just have to take your word for it and ignore all facts and rational thought put together by actual football minds.

Best under 26 right now:

1. Luck

2. Wilson

3. Kaepenick

4. Bridgewater

5. Manziel

There's no clear guy out of Wilson, Luck, Cam and Kaepernick

Elway 

Elway also lucked into Mike Shanahan late in his career. Those Super Bowls don't happen with Reeves or Wade....and even then Elway wasnt the main reason those Bronco teams won back to back.

Edited by Matt39

Elway also lucked into Mike Shanahan late in his career. Those Super Bowls don't happen with Reeves or Wade....and even then Elway wasnt the main reason those Bronco teams won back to back.

Funny, it seems that the rhetoric on this board always is of the following:

1. Bellichick wouldnt have 3 rings or be anything without BRADY

2. Fox is average except that now he has MANNING

3. Cowher won nothing until ROETHLISBERGER showed up

BUT here we find that ELWAY only won because of Shanahan, who "without Elway" has been a complete abomination. Hmmmm........

Funny, it seems that the rhetoric on this board always is of the following:

1. Bellichick wouldnt have 3 rings or be anything without BRADY

2. Fox is average except that now he has MANNING

3. Cowher won nothing until ROETHLISBERGER showed up

BUT here we find that ELWAY only won because of Shanahan, who "without Elway" has been a complete abomination. Hmmmm........

Shanahan won 13 games with Jake Plummer. Washinton is radioactive and always will be with Snyder there.

And 2 rings with Elway.

And the best running game in football. And that zone blocking scheme that worked out ok. Terrell Davis going for 580 and 8 TD's in the 97 playoffs didnt hurt either.

And the best running game in football. And that zone blocking scheme that worked out ok. Terrell Davis going for 580 and 8 TD's in the 97 playoffs didnt hurt either.

Yeah I know. Just if given the choice of having Shanahan in his prime or Elway in his prime, of course I take Elway. Look, I like Shanahan, great offensive mind, and certainly helped Elway (even though they basically hated each other), but I jus could never believe that Shanahan ever gets to the promised land without arguably a TOP 5 QB of all-time.

Yeah I know. Just if given the choice of having Shanahan in his prime or Elway in his prime, of course I take Elway. Look, I like Shanahan, great offensive mind, and certainly helped Elway (even though they basically hated each other), but I jus could never believe that Shanahan ever gets to the promised land without arguably a TOP 5 QB of all-time.

What's going to haunt Luck throughout his career, imo, is Irsay not having the stones to keep Arians as the HC.

Edited by Matt39

The Jags have excellent skill ayers on the offense, unlike the Jets. 

They do?  When Justin Blackmon went down, could you name their # 2 WR?  Or their TE?  And can you seriously argue we've seen the same MJD out there the last 2 seasons?

Edited by Jetsfan80

Dude engineers the 2nd greatest comeback in NFL history in his 2nd season, and you're writing him off.  Ridiculous.  The kid has put up the numbers AND passes the eye test very early in his career.  He's going to be a star in this league for a long time.

Edited by Jetsfan80

They do?  When Justin Blackmon went down, could you name their # 2 WR?  Or their TE?  And can you seriously argue we've seen the same MJD out there the last 2 seasons?

Cecil Shorts and Marcedes Lewis are actually a pretty solid #2 and TE, probably on any team. I agree that MJD hasn't been himself for a while, but they actually have some pretty solid talent as far as skill position players go.

Cecil Shorts and Marcedes Lewis are actually a pretty solid #2 and TE, probably on any team. I agree that MJD hasn't been himself for a while, but they actually have some pretty solid talent as far as skill position players go.

I don't disagree that Shorts is good and Lewis is OK.  But I disagree with the idea that Henne was supported by lots of weapons and therefore is somehow overvalued (when no one is saying he'd be more than a veteran backup to Geno/rookie QB).

Edited by Jetsfan80

I don't disagree that Shorts is good and Lewis is OK.  But I disagree with the idea that Henne was supported by lots of weapons and therefore is somehow overvalued (when no one is saying he'd be more than a veteran backup to Geno/rookie QB).

Haha yea I didn't see the prior argument, just that I think Shorts and Lewis are solid, albeit unspectacular options. 

4/10 for 29 yards against the Dolphins. 8/19 for like 120 yards against the Saints. Franchise qb right their, amirite?

Geno's setting the world on fire with those numbers.

Typical message board tactic.  Take the worst two numbers out of 16 and try to portray them as representative, preferably with an an air of exasperation at the density of your conversational opponent, lol.

Even with those 2 low numbers, Geno averaged about 200 yds a game as rookie with receivers by Manpower and NO fast, shifty back like Leon/Ladainian to pitch out  or pass to.  A rookie needs someone to help him make plays, and Leon didn't have one in the receiving corps.

In addition to that, with the secondary in collapse for ¾ of the year, he still leads the team to 8-8.  Give this kid someone who consistently makes the big catch and watch him go.