In all seriousness-Did a Rex extension happen?

Scott Dierking

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been no news at all about it actually being done, but there were numerous reports that they'd be tacking another year onto Rex's deal.  Considering that absolutely nothing has yet been done with any of the Jets assistant coaches either (a number of whom have expiring contracts), it's quite possible it's still coming though.

There's been no news at all about it actually being done, but there were numerous reports that they'd be tacking another year onto Rex's deal.  Considering that absolutely nothing has yet been done with any of the Jets assistant coaches either (a number of whom have expiring contracts), it's quite possible it's still coming though.

Usually, teams try to tie this loose strings up in a rather timely fashion.

I am not saying there is any smoke here, but it is something to keep track of.

Yeah, it's definitely a peculiar situation, but the fact that every coaching position on the team has been left unaddressed as well seems to ask more questions than it answers.  I have to imagine there's some sort of plan amongst all of this, but I'll be damned if I have a clue what it is.  Only thing I can think is there's some folks amongst the staffs of the remaining playoff teams that they want to talk to before doing anything (Seattle of course being an obvious possibility).

Yeah, it's definitely a peculiar situation, but the fact that every coaching position on the team has been left unaddressed as well seems to ask more questions than it answers.  I have to imagine there's some sort of plan amongst all of this, but I'll be damned if I have a clue what it is.  Only thing I can think is there's some folks amongst the staffs of the remaining playoff teams that they want to talk to before doing anything (Seattle of course being an obvious possibility).

Rumor had it that Idzik wanted to shake up the coaching staff.  Well perhaps Idzik's plan was to not give Rex an extension yet and first sift through the coaches to decide which ones you want to stick around.  And yes, this definitely points towards some Seahawk guys being brought in.  May even be the case that one of the guys he wants to hire from that franchise is intended to be groomed into the next HC.  Never know.

Imagine if Idzik is planning to bring in Bevell to replace Mornhinweg as the OC here?  JetNation would explode.

If not I imagine these guys are targets: 

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/kris-richard/28a0c3f3-1e32-43bd-aa67-ac966b7dc01d

120718-richard-480.jpg

Kris Richard, DB Coach, Seattle

Richard begins his seventh season in the NFL, sixth overall in Seattle and third in the NFL coaching ranks, all with the Seahawks. He spent three seasons with the Seahawks and one season with the San Francisco 49ers (2005) as a cornerback.

He was promoted to his current position on January 18, 2011, after spending the 2010 season as assistant defensive backs coach. He joined the club on February 4, 2010.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/manuel-marquand/41dba8d6-f6de-43e6-b1a5-5241bf5efdd4

120718-manuel-480.jpg

Marquand Manuel, Defensive Assistant (former Safety), Seattle

Named to his current position on February 13, 2013, after spending 2012 as a special teams assistant and spending the year before as a coaching intern at his alma mater, the University of Florida, and an eight-year NFL playing career.

Manuel spent eight seasons in the NFL, playing for six different franchises (Cincinnati 2002-03, Seattle 2004-05, Green Bay 2006, Carolina 2007, Denver 2008, Detroit 2009).

He was selected in the sixth-round (181st overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, playing in 116 games with 58 starts, starting at least half his team’s games in five of those seasons. Manuel totaled 332 tackles (259 solo), 1.0 sack, two interceptions, one touchdown, 16 passes defensed, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 36 special teams tackles in his career. He last played for the Detroit Lions in 2009, starting six of nine games played before ending the season on injured reserve.

Rumor had it that Idzik wanted to shake up the coaching staff.  Well perhaps Idzik's plan was to not give Rex an extension yet and first sift through the coaches to decide which ones you want to stick around.  And yes, this definitely points towards some Seahawk guys being brought in.  May even be the case that one of the guys he wants to hire from that franchise is intended to be groomed into the next HC.  Never know.

Imagine if Idzik is planning to bring in Bevell to replace Mornhinweg as the OC here?  JetNation would explode.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/kris-richard/28a0c3f3-1e32-43bd-aa67-ac966b7dc01d

120718-richard-480.jpg

Richard begins his seventh season in the NFL, sixth overall in Seattle and third in the NFL coaching ranks, all with the Seahawks. He spent three seasons with the Seahawks and one season with the San Francisco 49ers (2005) as a cornerback.

He was promoted to his current position on January 18, 2011, after spending the 2010 season as assistant defensive backs coach. He joined the club on February 4, 2010.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/manuel-marquand/41dba8d6-f6de-43e6-b1a5-5241bf5efdd4

120718-manuel-480.jpg

Named to his current position on February 13, 2013, after spending 2012 as a special teams assistant and spending the year before as a coaching intern at his alma mater, the University of Florida, and an eight-year NFL playing career.

Manuel spent eight seasons in the NFL, playing for six different franchises (Cincinnati 2002-03, Seattle 2004-05, Green Bay 2006, Carolina 2007, Denver 2008, Detroit 2009).

He was selected in the sixth-round (181st overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, playing in 116 games with 58 starts, starting at least half his team’s games in five of those seasons. Manuel totaled 332 tackles (259 solo), 1.0 sack, two interceptions, one touchdown, 16 passes defensed, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 36 special teams tackles in his career. He last played for the Detroit Lions in 2009, starting six of nine games played before ending the season on injured reserve.

I doubt MM is going anywhere, if for no other reason than the benefit to Geno in having some consistency.  The other options you mentioned are much more realistic, as the most significant opening the Jets have is at DC considering that Thurman's contract is up.  They also have openings for a number of position coaches as well.  Beyond a very strong desire for them to bring back Dunbar ASAP (and hell, if they think he has the goods, maybe even consider him for DC), I have no problem with them standing pat for now while they wait for the opportunity to talk to any other coaches they are considering.

I think, as was pointed out in the Assistant Coaches thread, that Rex wants to stay but isn't going to take a bad deal for the sake of taking a deal.

I think Idzik is trying to assert some authority to counteract how Woody just took a straw poll and kept Rex. I think that's a logically flawed decision for the following reasons:

• I don't think he has the motivation problem for his team that some people may be imagining;

• I think he also sees the tremendous potential both in free agency and draft and how much better his team can be next year;

• and I think he sees coaches getting paid $4-5 million/year that are of similar or lesser success (Whisenhunt, O'Brien, Lovie Smith).

I especially think the last part was very bad for the Jets negotiating position.

Seahawks wouldn't give permission for Bevell to interview for a lateral move. 

120718-richard-480.jpg

120718-manuel-480.jpg

Why would these guys abandon their current positions on a very good team for the Jets? Where's the promotion? Are you suggesting that one or both of them would be promoted into Rex's system? Doesn't make sense to me to bring in D coaches who don't have ties. And if there's a carrot being dengled for a future Jets HC position, I'd think it would be for an offensive dude, but what do I know?

it's  entirely possible rex has signed some sort of extension and no one's told the media. these Jets under IDzik aren't exactly forthcoming with their information. 

Doubtful, because the Jets would want to be sending a message to the other assistants and players. Makes no sense to NOT promote that news.

Doubtful, because the Jets would want to be sending a message to the other assistants and players. Makes no sense to NOT promote that news.

they already "sent a message" to the players and assistants in the locker room at Miami. the video is on newyorkjets.com for all to see. The players cheered like they won the Super Bowl and mobbed Rex. 

they already "sent a message" to the players and assistants in the locker room at Miami. the video is on newyorkjets.com for all to see. The players cheered like they won the Super Bowl and mobbed Rex. 

That was a pretty loud message.

I am not sure myself, but I know the assistants didn't have contracts beyond this year.  So information should come out really soon.

A stronger message would be to announce an extension then. Solidify that. For whatever reason, that has not been done yet.

But, they certainly have not, as you insinuate, sat on teh news. Organizations do not do that, and it would not behoove the jets.

That was a pretty loud message.

I am not sure myself, but I know the assistants didn't have contracts beyond this year.  So information should come out really soon.

Normally, one would expect that immediately after the season-to retain the people they want to retain.

There has to be a slight snag here.

A stronger message would be to announce an extension then. Solidify that. For whatever reason, that has not been done yet.

But, they certainly have not, as you insinuate, sat on teh news. Organizations do not do that, and it would not behoove the jets.

the Jets hold about one press conference every 6 months. There's no leaks. They could have signed Rex and we wouldnt know it

btw SD have you seen the coaching carousel? Whiz and Jim Caldwell? So glad the jets aren't in that terrible market this offseason. 

Normally, one would expect that immediately after the season-to retain the people they want to retain.

There has to be a slight snag here.

I disagree.  I think there is a very big snag here.  This is not how the process should work (Woody announcing that Rex will be back).  That should all come from Idzik imo.

the Jets hold about one press conference every 6 months. There's no leaks. They could have signed Rex and we wouldnt know it

btw SD have you seen the coaching carousel? Whiz and Jim Caldwell? So glad the jets aren't in that terrible market this offseason. 

If the Jets brought in Caldwell and fired Rex....that would be a wow.  Big time wow.

If the Jets brought in Caldwell and fired Rex....that would be a wow.  Big time wow.

We all know (at least reasonable people) that is not the direction they would have gone in (at least Caldwell).

On the Rex extension, the Jets would be dumb not tao announce it, if they had done it. 

Not saying it won't get done, but odd that it hasn't happened yet.

we literally have no information. We can't prove it happened and we can't prove it didn't or won't. the last time we heard Woody say anything was in the Miami locker room. 

fwiw alot of league business gets done in Mobile every year. all the guys not in the playoffs are there and also out of work scouts and coaches use it as a job fair. 

we literally have no information. We can't prove it happened and we can't prove it didn't or won't. the last time we heard Woody say anything was in the Miami locker room. 

fwiw alot of league business gets done in Mobile every year. all the guys not in the playoffs are there and also out of work scouts and coaches use it as a job fair. 

Wow, for a guy who would get another gig "in 30 seconds", they sure arent in much of a hurry to extend him are they?

Correct. And, if the team HAD extended Rex, we would know of it.

That does not mean it will not happened, but as others have noticed, it is a little odd, with some assistants hanging, that this has not happened yet.

If the Jets are going to be bringing in Seahawk assistants, Rex is effectively neutered. I would seriously doubt they would do this to him.

My guess is that the number of years is a snag.

That's a bit of a leap in logic, but okay... Run with it.

Why would these guys abandon their current positions on a very good team for the Jets? Where's the promotion? Are you suggesting that one or both of them would be promoted into Rex's system? Doesn't make sense to me to bring in D coaches who don't have ties. And if there's a carrot being dengled for a future Jets HC position, I'd think it would be for an offensive dude, but what do I know?

I imagine that in my scenario, Kris Richard would go from Seattle's DB coach to Jets Defensive Coordinator, and Marquand Manuel would become the DB coach.  All speculative, of course.

Idzik promised that Rex would be back in 2014 and I imagine Rex will end up with a 1-year extension when all is said and done.  But Idzik said nothing about whether Rex would get to be the one to choose his new assistant coaches. 

Archived