Michael Crabtree: Possible trade?

Jetsfan80

The San Francisco 49ers may be in cap trouble.  In 2014, their projected cap number is scheduled to be under the cap at $121.6M (projected cap is about $126M).  However, Colin Kaepernick is scheduled to be a free agent after 2014, with just a $1.6M cap figure scheduled for '14 currently.  They're about to pay him handsomely. 

We already know the 49ers will likely let go of UFA Anquan Bodin.  What we DON'T know is just what they'll do with Michael Crabtree.  A free agent after the 2014 season, the 49ers would save $4M by moving him now. 

Though health issues resulted him in only catching 19 passes in '13, and just yesterday he just got bit**-slapped by Richard Sherman, Jim Harbaugh did the 49ers no favors by calling him the "best pass-catcher of all-time".  He had over 1100 yards and 9 TD's in '12.  He's going to need to get paid eventually with money the 49ers simply aren't going to have. 

Would it be wise to try to make a play for him?  If so what compensation would you be willing to send to the 49ers?

he came up small end of last season

he came up small end of this season

pass on a trade a huge contract

he's obviously a huge upgrade over what we have, just sayin he aint worth what it will cost

I'd rather draft a big redzone target who can actually catch the ball on a corner fade at the end of a playoff game

he's obviously a huge upgrade over what we have, just sayin he aint worth what it will cost

I'd rather draft a big redzone target who can actually catch the ball on a corner fade at the end of a playoff game

He played well throughout the playoffs last year.

he's a quality player.  not worth picks and a huge deal imo

He got big time "alligator arms" on that slant with about a minute to go on that final drive, when he was about to be crushed by Chancellor I believe. Now would most get alligator arms with that freaking human head hunter coming mach 80 at them, sure, but it still doesnt look good, and makes you look soft.

The San Francisco 49ers may be in cap trouble.  In 2014, their projected cap number is scheduled to be under the cap at $121.6M (projected cap is about $126M).  However, Colin Kaepernick is scheduled to be a free agent after 2014, with just a $1.6M cap figure scheduled for '14 currently.  They're about to pay him handsomely. 

We already know the 49ers will likely let go of UFA Anquan Bodin.  What we DON'T know is just what they'll do with Michael Crabtree.  A free agent after the 2014 season, the 49ers would save $4M by moving him now. 

Though health issues resulted him in only catching 19 passes in '13, and just yesterday he just got bit**-slapped by Richard Sherman, Jim Harbaugh did the 49ers no favors by calling him the "best pass-catcher of all-time".  He had over 1100 yards and 9 TD's in '12.  He's going to need to get paid eventually with money the 49ers simply aren't going to have. 

Would it be wise to try to make a play for him?  If so what compensation would you be willing to send to the 49ers?

I think Crabtree is a high end number 2 guy or a low end number one and hes going to want cash I don't think we should make a play for him because the Niners will probably want at least a number 2 and I would have much rather given up a 1 for Gordon. 18th pick in the draft for Josh Gordon ? I make that trade in a heartbeat since Gordon is what ?? 23 ?

I think Crabtree is a high end number 2 guy or a low end number one and hes going to want cash I don't think we should make a play for him because the Niners will probably want at least a number 2 and I would have much rather given up a 1 for Gordon. 18th pick in the draft for Josh Gordon ? I make that trade in a heartbeat since Gordon is what ?? 23 ?

Not sure that they would have taken a 1st for Gordon. But anyway, if we're going to trade a 2 for Crabtree then we're probably better off just using that pick on a receiver that we wouldn't have to pay as much as Crabtree. Probably a better return on investment.

If the Jets were one guy like Crabtree away from Super Bowl or bust,  I'd say yeah why not.  But they aren't even close to being that good and have a lot of holes.     And he's going to want way to much money.  Winning teams seem to dump the high salary guys as much as they can these days.   

I view the Jets kind of  like the Bucs from last year.   Nowhere near as good as people think, a QB situation that is very unknown,  and to spend a boatload of money on one or two players could be disaster.   The Bucs did that with Revis and a few others and they still sucked.    If the Jets trade away the farm for a guy like Crabtree, pay him big bucks, pay some other FA top bucks, and Geno isn't any good,  they'll be that 5-11 Bucs team.         

They need to find a lot of young talent who can take them to the future, not some expensive guys that aren't as good as what they'll be paid.  Crabtree is better than what they have now, but he won't be worth what he wants. And he sure won't be worth what the 49ers will ask.

If the Jets were one guy like Crabtree away from Super Bowl or bust,  I'd say yeah why not.  But they aren't even close to being that good and have a lot of holes.     And he's going to want way to much money.  Winning teams seem to dump the high salary guys as much as they can these days.   

I view the Jets kind of  like the Bucs from last year.   Nowhere near as good as people think, a QB situation that is very unknown,  and to spend a boatload of money on one or two players could be disaster.   The Bucs did that with Revis and a few others and they still sucked.    If the Jets trade away the farm for a guy like Crabtree, pay him big bucks, pay some other FA top bucks, and Geno isn't any good,  they'll be that 5-11 Bucs team.         

They need to find a lot of young talent who can take them to the future, not some expensive guys that aren't as good as what they'll be paid.  Crabtree is better than what they have now, but he won't be worth what he wants. And he sure won't be worth what the 49ers will ask.

Great post. Well stated.

Bolding, that guy is an upgreade from what we have now love to have him here next year and draft some other WR and TE

Boldin is too old.  We're not in "win-now" mode like the Ravens or 49ers were when Boldin went on deep playoff runs with them.  We need a WR in free agency who will be a WR1 or WR2 for an extensive period.

with shaky qb play i suspect we will see investment up and down the oline, including a solid TE blocker type and maybe a mid-tier "name" RB. that is how you hide a qb liability. welcome to a repeat of the style of play from rex's first two years (minus the results, I fear).

To Crabtree's credit, he was going up against this person! I just love how ridiculous this guy is. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI_Jq6_Kb9Q

To Crabtree's credit, he was going up against this person! I just love how ridiculous this guy is. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI_Jq6_Kb9Q

He is the love-child of Bart Scott + Chad Ochocinco + TO.

I like him for the simple fact that he helps establish which are the uppity white football fans on message boards.

Crabtree is mediocre... At best.

Possession receivers are fan favorites but home run hitters make the hall of fame. I really dont see the jets sustaining many long drives next year considering geno's inaccuracy. Thus we need a field stretcher who is a threat to score on any play.

Boldin is too old.  We're not in "win-now" mode like the Ravens or 49ers were when Boldin went on deep playoff runs with them.  We need a WR in free agency who will be a WR1 or WR2 for an extensive period.

i think he would be good for two years and let him teach the rookies how to play the game

i think he would be good for two years and let him teach the rookies how to play the game

F*ck mentors.  It's hard to learn from Anquan Boldin because a lot of his success comes from simply being a badass.  There are elements of toughness that can't be taught, and he has it.

If we're spending coin on a free agent WR1 or WR2 we need him here for a while to be a security blanket for whichever QB we make our "franchise guy", whether that be Geno or one of the rookies from the '14 or '15 drafts.  We're not in "win-now" mode.

F*ck mentors.  It's hard to learn from Anquan Boldin because a lot of his success comes from simply being a badass.  There are elements of toughness that can't be taught, and he has it.

If we're spending coin on a free agent WR1 or WR2 we need him here for a while to be a security blanket for whichever QB we make our "franchise guy", whether that be Geno or one of the rookies from the '14 or '15 drafts.  We're not in "win-now" mode.

It depends how cheap he comes, but I do not have a problem with bringing in Boldin.  Boldin and a high pick and maybe an injury prone guy with talent would be fine with me.  Boldin is the kind of guy they can sign to a non-damaging contract that takes some of the NEED away from the WR spot before the draft.  

he would be an upgrade over holmes any day  i say dump holmes bring bolding 2 year deal, i think that would be a good move he cant ask for much and our WRs  would be better

I don't see Boldin signing here unless we're offering him a lot more or unless no other contender makes him an offer, which is unlikely since he can still play.  Playing with a bad/developing QB can end a guy's career early because people will partly or greatly blame his lack of recent production on his age.  By the time people realize he can still play he'll really be a year away or less from retirement.

I'm ok with bringing him in, but I don't think he's going to give the Jets any type of discount. We'll have an underperforming (and still raw) Geno Smith and little/nothing else at QB when free agency starts.  Really nothing in it for him to sign here unless we're by far the top bidder.

Why wold Boldin take a pay cut ?    The guy was a big part of why the Ravens won a super bowl, he had some beast moments for the 49ers and it's not like Flacco or Kapernick are Brady or Manning when it comes to passing.       If you can pretty much go anywhere and you're used to winning and still have a few years left of good to great production,  why would you take a pay cut to go to a team who has a QB who was pretty bad most of last year?     It's one thing to go take a paycut to play with Brady or Manning or Rodgers and to have a chance at a super bowl.   It's another to take one and play with Geno Smith.

Archived