Jets to host Decker in unofficial FA 'visit'

F.Chowds

One of the benefits to hosting a conference champion at your facility during the run-up to the Super Bowl is being able to show off your digs to potential free agents. In real-estate terms, it's like an open house: Come on in, check us out and see if you can envision yourself here. 

The AFC champion Denver Broncos have a player who might draw interest from the New York Jets in free agency -- wide receiver Eric Decker

For four days next week, Decker and his teammates will practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., a 224,000 square-foot facility on a 27-acre campus. The players won't have full access inside the building -- some areas are off-limits -- but they certainly will get a good feel for the place, which includes a 5,500 square-foot locker room, five practice fields and a massive field house. For Decker, it'll be like an extended free-agent visit, with non-verbal recruiting. 

No doubt, coordinator Marty Mornhinweg would like to have a receiver of Decker's ilk in his offense -- young (27 in March), athletic and big (6-foot-3). The Jets have similar players inStephen Hill and David Nelson, but Hill has been a disappointment. Nelson is a keeper; it'll be up to them to decide if they believe he can prosper in a prominent role. 

Over the last two seasons, Decker has 172 receptions for 2,352 yards, ranking 11th and ninth in the league, respectively. Interested teams will have to address two big questions about him: How much of his production is due to Peyton Manning's brilliance? Is he good enough to be a No. 1 receiver? 

No doubt, Decker has benefitted greatly from having Manning, not to mention fellow receiver Demaryius Thomas on the other side. But Decker's ascent started pre-Manning, in 2011, when he scored nine touchdowns in his first full season as a starter. 

And that came with Tim Tebow throwing the ball. If he can score nine times with Tebow ... well, you can fill in the rest.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the benefits to hosting a conference champion at your facility during the run-up to the Super Bowl is being able to show off your digs to potential free agents. In real-estate terms, it's like an open house: Come on in, check us out and see if you can envision yourself here. 

The AFC champion Denver Broncos have a player who might draw interest from the New York Jets in free agency -- wide receiver Eric Decker

For four days next week, Decker and his teammates will practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., a 224,000 square-foot facility on a 27-acre campus. The players won't have full access inside the building -- some areas are off-limits -- but they certainly will get a good feel for the place, which includes a 5,500 square-foot locker room, five practice fields and a massive field house. For Decker, it'll be like an extended free-agent visit, with non-verbal recruiting. 

No doubt, coordinator Marty Mornhinweg would like to have a receiver of Decker's ilk in his offense -- young (27 in March), athletic and big (6-foot-3). The Jets have similar players inStephen Hill and David Nelson, but Hill has been a disappointment. Nelson is a keeper; it'll be up to them to decide if they believe he can prosper in a prominent role. 

Over the last two seasons, Decker has 172 receptions for 2,352 yards, ranking 11th and ninth in the league, respectively. Interested teams will have to address two big questions about him: How much of his production is due to Peyton Manning's brilliance? Is he good enough to be a No. 1 receiver? 

No doubt, Decker has benefitted greatly from having Manning, not to mention fellow receiver Demaryius Thomas on the other side. But Decker's ascent started pre-Manning, in 2011, when he scored nine touchdowns in his first full season as a starter. 

And that came with Tim Tebow throwing the ball. If he can score nine times with Tebow ... well, you can fill in the rest.

So, within this analogy... what's the difference between playing with Peyton vs. Geno?

You guys have running water in your facility? Oh, you do. Hot AND Cold??

You'll never run out of 45 lb. plates again, that I promise.

And here we have our fully staffed glory hole...

I'm sure he's going to be incredibly impressed by our facilities.

If this stuff doesn't impress... then we are sure to seal the deal when he sees the Hall of Snoopy Trophies, and both of the AFCC game participant certificates.

Maybe we can tempt him with the esteem that comes from winning King Ugly.

Methinks he'll be far more impressed with the QB at Lucas Oil Stadium than the facilities at Atlantic Health.

Or the one in Foxboro, or the one in Baltimore, or the one in well ... anywhere.

But seriously, there's a handful of teams that are 1-2 players away from being contenders, that have top QBs, and that will have money to spend. 

Or the one in Foxboro, or the one in Baltimore, or the one in well ... anywhere.

But seriously, there's a handful of teams that are 1-2 players away from being contenders, that have top QBs, and that will have money to spend. 

Colts have the most cap space among those "top QB teams".  Baltimore has no cap space after handing Flacco all that money.  Green Bay has some nice cap space too.  Indy or Green Bay seems likely.

Colts have the most cap space among those "top QB teams".  Baltimore has no cap space after handing Flacco all that money.  Green Bay has some nice cap space too.  Indy or Green Bay seems likely.

I doubt the colts. Wayne coming back next year and Hilton gives them a solid 1-2 punch already. GB would be my guess.

Lets see, catching perfectly thrown spirals in stride by Senor Daaable Check, or jumping and diving and lunging, and being hung out to dry to get clobbered by a heat seeking safety from Mr, rated last in the NFL? Hmmm........

I doubt the colts. Wayne coming back next year and Hilton gives them a solid 1-2 punch already. GB would be my guess.

Lets see, catching perfectly thrown spirals in stride by Senor Daaable Check, or jumping and diving and lunging, and being hung out to dry to get clobbered by a heat seeking safety from Mr, rated last in the NFL? Hmmm........

Wayne is no spring chicken and Hilton gets hurt a lot. Also, Green Bay has Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb so they have a pretty solid 1-2 as well.

Wayne is no spring chicken and Hilton gets hurt a lot. Also, Green Bay has Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb so they have a pretty solid 1-2 as well.

Cobb also seems to be injury prone, but good point about both Hilton and Wayne. Probably too much competition for him to come here, huh?

Decker is not even #1 on the Broncos....the JETS need to add a legit #1 WR.

I do not see any shortcuts here. There are not many in the FA market that can be legit #1's. There could be some calculated risk the JETS can take on with players coming from injury like Maclin. Decker might not be the answer. The JETS will have to draft WR's with their first few picks in this draft.

The Packers never spend in free agency. I'd be shocked if they even had Decker in for a visit.

Exactly. They didn't even entertain resigning Jennings after what he wanted, I highly doubt they'll pony up the money for Decker. Besides, they already have a better version of Decker in Jordy, not sure their team needs any more grit. 

You guys have running water in your facility? Oh, you do. Hot AND Cold??

You'll never run out of 45 lb. plates again, that I promise.

And here we have our fully staffed glory hole...

I'm sure he's going to be incredibly impressed by our facilities.

it's a lovely facility in the middle of suburbia right off an interstate. Very impressive. I'm sure he'll be sold.

Exactly. They didn't even entertain resigning Jennings after what he wanted, I highly doubt they'll pony up the money for Decker. Besides, they already have a better version of Decker in Jordy, not sure their team needs any more grit.

Jennings was a douche who didn't like Rodgers, so that likely factored in. I know the Packers don't traditionally chase free agents, but it would make no sense not to go get Rodgers another target.

Decker is not even #1 on the Broncos....the JETS need to add a legit #1 WR.

I do not see any shortcuts here. There are not many in the FA market that can be legit #1's. There could be some calculated risk the JETS can take on with players coming from injury like Maclin. Decker might not be the answer. The JETS will have to draft WR's with their first few picks in this draft.

5 less catches that Thomas and 6 less targets. He could be a #1 receiver in the right offense. This one led by Geno Smith is not conducive to that.

I think Doug Baldwin is really the type of player the Jets need to be looking at.

I suspect Idzik will stay away from the top of the market and bring in two of the second/third tier type guys e.g. Danario Alexander, Brandon Lafell, Kenny Britt, Robert Meachem, Mario Manningham, Louis Murphy (Sanjay connection) etc. From what the Jets' FO has seen with Holmes and Idzik saw in Seattle with Sidney Rice, they may not be willing to dole out big contracts for some of these guys. (Sidney Rice will probably be cut, he's not a bad option to kick the tires on either).

Personally, if we make a big splash in FA, I feel it'll be for someone like TJ Ward (if he's not franchised) or Jarius Byrd. I think a big time safety and a couple middle WRs would go a lot further than grabbing Decker.  Then again, I could totally be wrong, they sign Decker/Nicks and go after Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor in the first round.

Jennings was a douche who didn't like Rodgers, so that likely factored in. I know the Packers don't traditionally chase free agents, but it would make no sense not to go get Rodgers another target.

Not sure about all that, but I do agree... it makes no sense for the Packers, you see that have that rare combination of factors in place, 1.) they have a top 5 QB, and 2.) they know how to draft receivers and "develop" them.

They have Nelson, Cobb (who's gonna be a top 10 WR next year) and Boykins, I'd suspect they'd resign Jones, who's said he'd take a discount, and look to upgrade their tight end position. 

Archived