Sign in to follow this  
F.Chowds

Jets to host Decker in unofficial FA 'visit'

BroadwayJoe12    16,412

The problem with this is he just won a super bowl, he's on a team that is young and has great players, he plays for a city that has the 12th man,  he plays with a young QB who is pretty damn good, and he plays for a coach most others around the league would love to play for.       

it is a business, but at the end of the day, most people would rather win super bowls over making a few extra thousand bucks.   The greedy ones wind up like Revis and wind up on crappy teams that nobody gives a damn about. And really they don't make a huge difference anyway in wins or losses because the team still stinks with or without them.     

So unless the Jets offer him or Decker far more money than anybody else, why would any talented WR come to a team who doesn't have a QB anybody on the team supports, doesn't have any other talent on offense, and has a HC who most people think doesn't give a crap about offense as it is.    Unless that player is all about the money, he's probably going to take other offers.     And to me, players who are all about the money and nothing else, don't always turn out well.

Clearly, if it's only over a few thousand dollars, Tate would just stay where he wants to. However, in order to stay in Seattle, he's most likely going to have to take a multi-million dollar pay cut, which is a lot easier to say you'll turn down than actually do.  There's a lot of grey area between being a martyr and being Revis in the picture that you are painting. 

Seattle is talking about cutting and restructuring Rice, Bryant, Mebane and Clemons just to fit guys under their cap in the future. They already prefer Baldwin to Tate, so it's going to be a huge discount he'll have to give. 

Edited by BroadwayJoe12

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
#27TheDominator    203,590

Clearly, if it's only over a few thousand dollars, Tate would just stay where he wants to. However, in order to stay in Seattle, he's most likely going to have to take a multi-million dollar pay cut, which is a lot easier to say you'll turn down than actually do.  There's a lot of grey area between being a martyr and being Revis in the picture that you are painting. 

Seattle is talking about cutting and restructuring or cutting Rice, Bryant, Mebane and Clemons just to fit guys under their cap in the future. They already prefer Baldwin to Tate, so it's going to be a huge discount he'll have to give. 

Thousand/Million Potato/Potahto

jgb    11,245

jets have to approach WR search with shotgun approach. kick the tires on anyone who can help the team.

Meddle    1

I like Decker a lot, but paying a premium for what he does is not the move for the Jets right now.  Try building through the draft and use free agency when needed.  This draft is loaded with receivers.  Get good young bodies for Mornhinweg to bring along.

77DRAFT    57

Decker is not even #1 on the Broncos....the JETS need to add a legit #1 WR.

I do not see any shortcuts here. There are not many in the FA market that can be legit #1's. There could be some calculated risk the JETS can take on with players coming from injury like Maclin. Decker might not be the answer. The JETS will have to draft WR's with their first few picks in this draft.

Exactly, Deck is another Nelson, we meed a blazer who is faster than everyone else, like Santana Moss

used to be, speed is the only thing that matters, can't cover a guy with Moss or Wesley Walkers speed.

I want the fastest guy who gets  open and scores.  All else is irrelevant.  

Judging from Hill's progress, we still need a receivers coach, Hill is more a couching issue than anything

else, he looked good in several games and has made big catches, why is he being taken out of every game?

Jetsfan80    72,352

Exactly, Deck is another Nelson, we meed a blazer who is faster than everyone else, like Santana Moss used to be

#Subtleracism

Jordy and Decker are plenty fast.

Sperm Edwards    338,547

One person's take on Decker (whose "official" drop rate on the season was lower than I expected, as I recall seeing a bunch of easy ones dropped).  Again, it is only one guy's opinion (Bleacher Report), but I don't necessarily give more credence to someone's opinion because he landed a job at a famous newspaper (see Mehta, Manish), and he seems to watch Decker closely.  Also keep in mind that this was written in mid-November and Decker had 8 TDs in December so if his TD total sounds low that's why.  

Anyway (in red was my emphasis):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1848836-denver-broncos-how-good-is-eric-decker

Denver Broncos: Breaking Down Why Eric Decker Is Overrated By Baily DeeterSenior Writer

Nov 17, 2013

Don't judge a book by its cover.

On the outside, Eric Decker seems like a valuable receiver who can catch passes and score touchdowns. He has 16 touchdowns since the start of the 2012 season, and he has 721 yards receiving this year as well.

He has those decent numbers largely because of his phenomenal route running. And because of those decent numbers, he has received lots of praise from Denver Broncos fans and analysts everywhere.

But does he really deserve it?

Decker is big and strong, but he can't blow by anyone. According to ESPN, he has a 4.56 40-yard dash, so he definitely isn't great in the speed department. In addition, his hands aren't spectacular.

According to Philly.com's Jimmy Kempski, Decker had six drops by Week 4. He currently has seven drops this year, and he's still been better with his hands this year than he has been in most years. He also has six fumbles in his four years.

Decker has cost Denver with some blown plays, and many of those show up on advanced and basic stat sheets. Still, those don't even include jump-ball passes he has neglected to go after.

Decker, as Mile High Report noted, calls for pass interference a lot. He also tends to refrain from going up for deep passes, failing to use his bulky frame to his advantage. Instead, he whines for calls during plays, which is nothing short of absolutely ridiculous.

Also, he gets thrown off when jammed at the line or bumped downfield, which is another major weakness of his.

Receivers who rely heavily on pass interference calls aren't likely to succeed consistently; those flags
aren't always going to come. When they don't, Decker isn't able to succeed. And if he wants to succeed consistently, he's going to have to clean that up.

He's also going to need to clean up his drop rate. It's currently a miserable 12.5 percent, and that doesn't include many catches he should have made that aren't classified as drops. He can make some nice catches, but he drops far too many passes.

Additionally, it hasn't been just this year. He finished fifth in total drops last year, and, according to Pro Football Focus, he had a 12.37 percent drop rate.

He avenged his drops with touchdowns last year, but this year he only has three touchdowns. Decker made a name for himself as Peyton Manning's red-zone target last year, but this year, it's been Wes Welker catching those passes at the goal line. Decker occasionally beats his cornerback and makes a play, but he isn't a big-play threat or a receiver with reliable hands.

That holds true despite Decker receiving single coverage against mediocre corners at almost all times (thanks to Demaryius Thomas) and having safeties focused on other people (thanks to Thomas, Welker and Julius Thomas). Even with that, Decker is averaging fewer than 5.5 catches per game.

That's not bad, but it's not great.

And it certainly isn't enough for him to deserve the praise he's been garnering.

Some of that praise came from The Denver Post, which wrote that Decker is Manning's go-to target after Decker's Week 7 explosion. However, since then, Decker has struggled mightily. He struggles against fast cornerbacks, ones who can recover even if Decker runs a good route and they fall behind.

If Decker were a go-to receiver, he would almost always face those fast, athletic corners. And it's safe to say he would struggle.

He is fairly valuable as Denver's second-best receiver, but he would become a huge bust as a team's go-to receiver. He can ruin a quarterback's confidence in him with drops; not every quarterback has as much confidence in his receivers as Manning.

Decker is having a nice run, but don't be fooled by his receiving yardage. Decker is likely Denver's fourth-best pass catcher, and he is a dispensable player.

So, if he ever gets a chance to be a team's top receiver (it could even happen after this year), don't be surprised if he struggles.

77DRAFT    57

#Subtleracism

Jordy and Decker are plenty fast.

But are they faster than everyone else, that's what it takes to be a Wesley Walker/ Santana Moss.  Walker was the fastest

player I have ever seen, and by far, I want a guy like that, Walker used to score 2 sometimes 3 70 plus yard touchdowns a game

and I can't tell you how many ten yard outs from the 20 he turned into touchdowns, he did it with regularity, he was amazing

and Idzik was the Jets ball boy in 77 so he saw it.

JiF    125,358

Whats the debate here?  Decker makes the offense better.  Who gives a **** whether he's a #1 or not?

SenorGato    13,224

Whats the debate here?  Decker makes the offense better.  Who gives a **** whether he's a #1 or not?

Yeah, that doesn't really matter to me at all. I notice in all sports when it comes to FA that at least an underlying fan expectation is for the FA to complete the team rather than just be a good player the team happened to buy through FA. I don't like it for many reasons. 

Sperm Edwards    338,547

The debate is whether or not he is worth the money a #1 gets nowadays (north of $10M/year).  No one is presently engaged in your straw man debate that Decker doesn't make the offense any better.

Jetsfan80    72,352

Because he'll cost WAY more coin than he's actually worth.  The Packers and Colts, with franchise QB's in tow, are also in the market for WR's and have lots of cap space.  If we go after WR's on the free agent market, we'll either have to overpay them or hope that some of the other teams out there aren't going after the same guys. 

Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like a Danario Alexander, who is young and really would be a true # 1 WR if he can somehow stay healthy (and will be cheap), and build the rest of the receiving corps via the draft.  We don't HAVE to spend big money on a free agent WR.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Sperm Edwards    338,547

Because he'll cost WAY more coin than he's actually worth.  The Packers and Colts, with franchise QB's in tow, are also in the market for WR's and have lots of cap space.  If we go after WR's on the free agent market, we'll either have to overpay them or hope that some of the other teams out there aren't going after the same guys. 

Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like a Danario Alexander, who is young and really would be a true # 1 WR if he can somehow stay healthy (and will be cheap), and build the rest of the receiving corps via the draft.  We don't HAVE to spend big money on a free agent WR.

I'm ok with overspending a little since we are so desperate at the position.  But a little is also a relative term.

Say Decker's "fair" FA value is $6M/year.  $7.5M is overpaying "a little" bit.  If his fair value is $900K, then overpaying by $1.5M/year is ludicrous.  Meanwhile it takes the same cap management to overcome the $1M overspend.

The problem also is in the guaranteed amount.  If he doesn't work out, $6M or $9M per year is meaningless and not worth getting excited over if we can get out after 1-2 seasons (by which time we hope to see some noticeable value/production of a 2014 draft pick).  If we're locked in for 3 full seasons (after which we still take some hit) like with Holmes, then it's bad.  Not only does it tie up cap room, but it makes the team reluctant to spend money or a higher draft pick on someone else at the same position because that's your guy.  Why didn't we draft Russell Wilson despite our head scout (allegedly) being infatuated with the kid? Exactly.

JiF    125,358

Yeah, that doesn't really matter to me at all. I notice in all sports when it comes to FA that at least an underlying fan expectation is for the FA to complete the team rather than just be a good player the team happened to buy through FA. I don't like it for many reasons. 

The Jets are not in a position to draft someone who complete's the team.

The debate is whether or not he is worth the money a #1 gets nowadays (north of $10M/year).  No one is presently engaged in your straw man debate that Decker doesn't make the offense any better.

It was a question, penisface.

Basically, every single WR thats not playing on a meager rookie contract, costs more than they are actually worth.  The market dictates contracts.  Its the cost you pay to improve your team.

You have to play to pay and if the Jets want to add talent, they'll have to pay.  Adding a bunch of injury prones vets on the cheap is what got the Jets to this point at the skillz position.

Decker is a young healthy productive option.  I'd rather have a guy you know will be on the field helping the team than adding a career underachiever who cant find the field.

BroadwayJoe12    16,412

But are they faster than everyone else, that's what it takes to be a Wesley Walker/ Santana Moss.  Walker was the fastest

player I have ever seen, and by far, I want a guy like that, Walker used to score 2 sometimes 3 70 plus yard touchdowns a game

and I can't tell you how many ten yard outs from the 20 he turned into touchdowns, he did it with regularity, he was amazing

and Idzik was the Jets ball boy in 77 so he saw it.

Best damned salesman in the office! He's a ten-foot tall beast man, who showers in vodka, and feeds his baby shrimp scampi. 

tumblr_mxgzawGfLL1rdzuduo1_500.gif

Latinlawyer    2,248

The Jets will be better with Decker in the WR corp this season, barring an injury, Decker will contribute to better QB play this season.

LL