Could Keller Return to Jets?

flgreen

Could Tight End Dustin Keller Return To New York Jets?

January 21, 2014 8:59 pm EST by Nick Mamary
Dustin-Keller.jpeg

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

During 2013’s offseason, the New York Jets of course had a major roster overhaul. In the process, they lost fan favorite and budding star tight end Dustin Keller; he signed a one-year contract with AFC East rival Miami Dolphins. Keller sadly suffered a horrible preseason leg injury that derailed his promising career, and it remains unclear if he will return to Miami next season. The emergence of Charles Clay might make tight end depth less critical, which potentially leaves Keller looking for a new home.

His former team currently faces uncertainty with their depth chart. In theory, Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow offer a dangerous combination. Injuries and suspensions denied an extended look. As I stated recently, keeping both would be a smart move, however, Winslow’s latest incident could change thinking. Having someone so erratic disrupts team chemistry. Cumberland’s touchdown numbers are trending up, so Gang Green would be wise to bring him back. If that doesn’t occur though, Keller should be pursued.

During 2011, his numbers included 65 receptions and five touchdowns;

blocking was also a decent part of his game. Operating from the West Coast offense serves pass catching tight ends well by opening chances down the middle. Even if Cumberland comes back, they could use another presence. Zach Sudfeld made plays at time, but I don’t know if he can be counted on. Health is an issue when discussing Keller’s future though.

Speculation continues as to whether the talented player can ever compete again. There is no harm in at least making a phone call and working him out, assuming he hits the free agent market.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/01/21/could-tight-end-dustin-keller-return-to-new-york-jets/?ZUUCDfmWEw9RqJ5t.99

I had to look him up because I forgot his name but Sudfeld, Zach is a player that I like and I'll bet you that Bill Belichick wishes he had been available when Gronkowski went down. So...I see this move as being good in two ways; 1-he can actually CATCH a football and 2- It keeps him out of the Patriots hands. We all know that their offense is a TE first passing game and having 2 big guys like that on the field ...well you guys remember what it was like watching Bart Scott TRYING to cover either the killer or Gronk-not a pretty site. As to Keller-no thanks-big under achiever-a lot like Sanchez

Watch them bring back Keller. And Sanchez.

Say what we will about how much we hate the "Patriots way" of doing things but one thing is for sure: They are NOT afraid to cut bait on a player that they even think MIGHT be on the downside of his career; (Welker and Woodhead are perfect examples) whereas the New York Jets amazingly still have a Vlad Ducasse on their roster. Same thing with Gholston, Belichick would have cut both of those guys I'd say with DuCasse by mid-season and Gholston before the next season had even started-like a final cutdown before the season. The Jets hold on to these type of guys at their own peril. Look at what happened with Danny Woodhead, look at the guy that we kept instead (McKnightmare), he's not even a professional football player anymore while Danny "look at that little focker go" Woodhead has been deep in the playoffs since the day that Rex cut him, and we're not talking about being a JAG but being a big contributor. I guess that's "The Jets Way" I can only hope that our new GM can change that culture. Long sentence. 

I've mentioned this possibility before and given his recent track record of health he's hardly someone you rely on at all, but I see no reason not to least throw a vet minimum type contract his way.  Health permitting he's still better than the crap we have at TE, especially considering Cumberland has shown little to no progress from what everyone got all excited about in the early days.  I wouldn't change any other plans via FA or the draft around based on him, but no harm in giving him a shot and worst case scenario you can always send him packing if it doesn't work out.  Like him or not, the guy was still the Jets' leading receiver for years.

I just never saw Keller ever ge any better, he started out with a lot of promise 1st round draft pick and all, made some big catches and then would pull the old disappearing act for weeks at a time like so many other Jets high draftees. Bryan Thomas was famous for that, play just enough to keep your job and then coast for a few weeks until they start to notice that you have been invisible. Keller was the same. I say pass

I had to look him up because I forgot his name but Sudfeld, Zach is a player that I like and I'll bet you that Bill Belichick wishes he had been available when Gronkowski went down. So...I see this move as being good in two ways; 1-he can actually CATCH a football and 2- It keeps him out of the Patriots hands. We all know that their offense is a TE first passing game and having 2 big guys like that on the field ...well you guys remember what it was like watching Bart Scott TRYING to cover either the killer or Gronk-not a pretty site. As to Keller-no thanks-big under achiever-a lot like Sanchez

Yeah, I'm interested in what Sudfeld can do until we find out the answer. Either way sounds like a decent project to take on.

How healthy was Cumberland this year?

Yeah, I'm interested in what Sudfeld can do until we find out the answer. Either way sounds like a decent project to take on.

How healthy was Cumberland this year?

He had a hamsting problem early in the year and missed at least a game with a concussion.  I think he got gonged against Tampa in the opener and had to leave the game IIRC.  He is an injury prone dude.  Decent player but not worth any more than what they have been paying him - barely over $1M per.

He had a hamsting problem early in the year and missed at least a game with a concussion. I think he got gonged against Tampa in the opener and had to leave the game IIRC. He is an injury prone dude. Decent player but not worth any more than what they have been paying him - barely over $1M per.

Figured he wasn't interesting...Sudfelds probably the highest upside TE on the roster and hes done nothing. Id like to grab a high quality player here to help Geno.

Figured he wasn't interesting...Sudfelds probably the highest upside TE on the roster and hes done nothing. Id like to grab a high quality player here to help Geno.

I'll take Cumberland back for sure.  I'm just not giving him a pay day.  To put things in perspective in each of the past two seasons he has more yards receiving and TDs than Bear Pascoe has in his career and Pascoe was a draft pick that has been in the league a year longer.

Is a guy who's been in the league for 5 years still a "budding" anything?

People want to pay Pettigrew and they have almost identical stats.  Pettigrew has been in the league one less year, but Keller missed all of 2013 and has a little more yards, a few less catches and one more TD.  That is playing with the Jets, not Megatron on turf with the #1 pick in the draft.  I'm not in love with bringing Keller back, but I'd take him back cheap over paying a guy like Pettigrew or bringing back the masturbating soulja. 

I'll take Cumberland back for sure. I'm just not giving him a pay day. To put things in perspective in each of the past two seasons he has more yards receiving and TDs than Bear Pascoe has in his career and Pascoe was a draft pick that has been in the league a year longer.

No I want Cumberland back as the Jets have no depth. I just want to see some upgrades. Also, consider your words next timenbecause if Pascoe gets wind of what you said....His Rep is as a blocker anyway.

No I want Cumberland back as the Jets have no depth. I just want to see some upgrades. Also, consider your words next timenbecause if Pascoe gets wind of what you said....His Rep is as a blocker anyway.

I've met him.  He's a big dude and seems like a good guy.  I don't think this team wants a run block TE the way they needed prior to Mornhineg's arrival.

I've met him. He's a big dude and seems like a good guy. I don't think this team wants a run block TE the way they needed prior to Mornhineg's arrival.

I don't either but shut up about it! I still insist he might hear you.

No the day he fit this roster has long last...Still a weird soft spot for him.

Archived