Jordan Matthews May Land With Jets

flgreen

Vanderbilt wide receiver Matthews may land with Jets

By Brian Costello

January 21, 2014 | 9:34pm

Modal Trigger

464098607_87522039.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=
Jordan Matthews, left, could end up being a second-round draft pick for the New York Jets.Photo: Getty Images

MOBILE, Ala. — Jordan Matthews ran around the field at Ladd-Peebles Stadium feverishly looking for something. The South team’s practice for the Senior Bowl had just ended and scouts and reporters were closing in on the Vanderbilt wide receiver, but he kept darting around the field.+

Finally, Matthews found what he was searching for — a football. He wanted to catch more passes from quarterback Derek Carr.

“I’m trying to make sure I’m the best possible player I can be at the end of the day,” Matthews said after he was done running the extra routes. “Whether it’s staying after or watching some extra film, all those things I have to make sure I keep doing them.”

Matthews is the top wide receiver at the Senior Bowl, but the early projections have him behind a number of underclassmen who have entered the NFL Draft. Clemson’s Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M’s Mike Evans and USC’s Marqise Lee are generally regarded as the top of this wide receiver class. Matthews falls into the second wave of wide receivers with Florida State’s Kelvin Benjamin, Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks, Penn State’s Allen Robinson and LSU’s Odell Beckham Jr. ESPN Draft analyst Mel Kiper has him as the seventh-best wideout in the draft.

He is projected to go in the late first or second round. The Jets, whose biggest need is wide receiver, may miss out on the top wide receiver prospects picking at No. 18 overall and have to address the position in the second round, where Matthews might fall. The team interviewed Matthews on Monday night at the Senior Bowl and the prospect of playing in New York excites Matthews.

“It would be an awesome opportunity,” Matthews told The Post. “Rex Ryan, I have all the respect in the world for him as a coach. [He’s a] great guy. The wide receivers there are talented from [Jeremy] Kerley down to Santonio Holmes, also Stephen [Hill]. They have a great group of wide receivers. It would be awesome to play alongside them.”

Matthews had a record-setting career at Vanderbilt. He holds the SEC records for career receptions and receiving yards, as well as receptions in a single season with 112 in 2013. He had nine 100-yard receiving games last year.

The 6-foot-2, 201- pounder is a relative of Hall of Famer Jerry Rice. His mother and Rice are first cousins, and Matthews said he models his game after his famous relative.

The scouts do not question Matthews’ production, but wonder if he has the speed needed in the NFL. The biggest question mark is whether he can get separation.

“He’s a big-bodied kid,” NFL Network analyst Charles Davis said. “This is the first time I’ve gotten to see him in person. He’s massive. I thought he had a really nice day today. I think he’s good out of breaks and cuts. I think his hands are there. I’ve always admired his toughness because I think he goes into the briar patch and takes some hits and keeps on ticking. Obviously, people are going to want to know what he runs. That’s what it’s going to come down to. … But all in all I think he’s a big-time prospect.”

Matthews knows he is ranked behind several of the underclassmen now, but said he’s not trying to prove he’s better than anyone.

just continue to work and don’t worry about anybody else,” Matthews said. “You have to look at your future through a straw. I can’t worry about what Marqise Lee, Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins are doing. I have to worry about what Jordan Matthews is doing and make sure I’m the best possible player I can be.”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matthews is a guy that could go anywhere from the middle of the first all the way into the third round.  At this point, the senior bowl practices are big for him, but it will come down to how he runs.  People will try to project if he has number 1 receiver potential or if he is a complimentary guy based on how explosive he is on the stop watch.

The kid reminds me of an old time type of receiver, tough, big, and seems to do his best work in traffic. At first I thought of Cotchery and then I thought more like in the Al Toon, Jerome Barkum, Richard Caster mold

Where do I sign?

The kid reminds me of an old time type of receiver, tough, big, and seems to do his best work in traffic. At first I thought of Cotchery and then I thought more like in the Al Toon, Jerome Barkum, Richard Caster mold

Those guys were taller and lankier - kinda reminds me of Reggie Wayne - soft hands, positions himself well, YAC, would be a great pick in 2nd round.

im all about this if hes there in 2nd round. i would be pumped

and let's face it, he would HAVE to be a better 2nd round WR draftee than the last one that they crapped out on-that guy has got to go...you see? I can't even remember the guys name...on edit: Stephen Hill A.K.A. scrub (and soon to be) ex-Jet

“It would be an awesome opportunity,” Matthews told The Post. “Rex Ryan, I have all the respect in the world for him as a coach. [He’s a] great guy. The wide receivers there are talented from [Jeremy] Kerley down to Santonio Holmes, also Stephen [Hill]. They have a great group of wide receivers. It would be awesome to play alongside them.”

I know he should say things like this, but good lord how did he do it with a straight face?

I know he should say things like this, but good lord how did he do it with a straight face?

Kid's special.

How did he even know the names of the WR corps-that's impressive. David Nelson's name wasn't mentioned though-he's the 2nd best receiver on the team. Santonio Holmes will not even be playing football in 2014-maybe down here in Belle Glade with the old HS team but not in the pros-he has deteriorated unlike any player I have ever seen. To go from SB MVP to what I was hearing being said about him on the Panthers radio broadcast. They were saying that the guy has totally lost it and it was actually sad to watch.

by the time May rolls around, WR won't be the biggest need on this team. 

also remember Idzik had 2 first round picks last year, both were physical freaks

BFA in rd 1, best freak available 

matthews  in rd 2 or 3, fair enough. but there probably will be an FA signing for the WR.

also remember Idzik had 2 first round picks last year, both were physical freaks

matthews  in rd 2 or 3, fair enough. but there probably will be an FA signing for the WR.

They could sign a free agent and still not have a #1 WR. They could sign a free agent and still not have a #2 receiver.  WR is going to be a need going into the drft no matter how you slice it. Bringing back Nelson is okay, but it's not the end all, be all of WR moves. They still need a #1 and #2 receiver who can try to wrangle passes from a terrible QB.

Even, if they land a true #1 in the offseason, WR is still a need. 

Highly doubtful any free agent WR is  a stud number one 

also doubtful that a pick at 18 would or rd 2 would be a stud number one. the Jets could try to get lucky like Mike Wallace and take a speedster in rd 2 or 3 that turns into a number one (given time) but lets be real there isn't a calvin in this draft and if there was, the Jets are about 15 slots away from drafting him. 

also doubtful that a pick at 18 would or rd 2 would be a stud number one. the Jets could try to get lucky like Mike Wallace and take a speedster in rd 2 or 3 that turns into a number one (given time) but lets be real there isn't a calvin in this draft and if there was, the Jets are about 15 slots away from drafting him. 

We need to upgrade the receiving corps - there can not be any disagreement on that- however we accomplish it.

Matt, do you see the Jets going offense or defense in round 1? Would they be in the slot to be able to grab one of those QBs coming out? Or do you see them doing what they always do, you know taking the best defensive lineman or DE/LBer they can find or the best CB available? I mean this IS the Jets, and this IS the Jets with Rex Ryan for the head coach...

Matt, do you see the Jets going offense or defense in round 1? Would they be in the slot to be able to grab one of those QBs coming out? Or do you see them doing what they always do, you know taking the best defensive lineman or DE/LBer they can find or the best CB available? I mean this IS the Jets, and this IS the Jets with Rex Ryan for the head coach...

I dont think they will go QB earlier than rd 3. 

best available freak and yes it could be a OLB or CB. dont everyone all panic if it happens. 

the WR argument is interesting and i definitely see the need; but the value might not line up. i.e. if the big names are gone, Idzik isn't going to reach

as for TE in rd 1 this has been a historically terrible pick for this franchise: Keller, Becht, Brady, Mitchell etc. I don't know why the Jets can't draft a TE in rd 1 but they can't. those who ignore the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them. 

matthews in rd 2 or 3, fair enough. but there probably will be an FA signing for the WR.

I wouldn't call either Milliner or Richardson physical freaks. They were both highly skilled, highly productive players.

Mathews fits that perfectly. Behind Watkins, he'd be my next WR, the ceiling isn't as high, but I don't see much downside to him. He's like an anti Stephen Hill.

I agree with you though I wouldn't mind BAP player here, we need so much, it's not a time to fill needs. But there's a big difference between next best physical freak and BAP.

So yes if by some miracle Barr or Mack fall to us, I would prefer them over Mathews.

I wouldn't call either Milliner or Richardson physical freaks. They were both highly skilled, highly productive players.

Mathews fits that perfectly. Behind Watkins, he'd be my next WR, the ceiling isn't as high, but I don't see much downside to him. He's like an anti Stephen Hill.

I agree with you though I wouldn't mind BAP player here, we need so much, it's not a time to fill needs. But there's a big difference between next best physical freak and BAP.

So yes if by some miracle Barr or Mack fall to us, I would prefer them over Mathews.

They're both definitely physical freaks...have you seen the sports science on Milliner?

as for TE in rd 1 this has been a historically terrible pick for this franchise: Keller, Becht, Brady, Mitchell etc. I don't know why the Jets can't draft a TE in rd 1 but they can't. those who ignore the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them. 

the counter to that is that the Jets are due....as a long suffering fan I can tell you that we are due for a lot of things.  

I don't know much about Matthews but if can get off the line in press coverage AND catch the ball then sign me up because none of the other wr's can.  

I dont think they will go QB earlier than rd 3. 

best available freak and yes it could be a OLB or CB. dont everyone all panic if it happens. 

the WR argument is interesting and i definitely see the need; but the value might not line up. i.e. if the big names are gone, Idzik isn't going to reach

The Jets haven't done too great historically with wide receivers in the second round, either.

He's a smaller slower version of Benji.

You forgot Harding worker, smarter, and driven then Benji, where does that leave the two? Talent doesn't always trump hard working, Talent, AND Hard Working does, but there is a lot to be said about Benji off the field.

Archived