Rosenthal: Yankees Land Tanaka

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey. Arguing semantics is fun! Let's do more soon. Anything to deflect from actual conversation. Cool.

Semantics?  Solid means not likely to crumble.  You want to say the rotation has question marks, say it.  Don't try to sugar coat it by contradicting yourself. Every rotation has question marks.  It's not like the major are full of teams trotting Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz out there. 

Semantics? Solid means not likely to crumble. You want to say the rotation has question marks, say it. Don't try to sugar coat it by contradicting yourself. Every rotation has question marks. It's not like the major are full of teams trotting Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz out there.

I was trying to be nice. I won't be anymore. Enjoy.

People in the know seem to feel pretty confident that if he starts slow he will still win 17 games.  They expect him to win 20+.  Interesting.

I am sure you have links. 

He will win some games and as a Yankee he will be benefit from the offense and naturally will be slightly overrated.    He is not going to win 17 much less 20.

I am sure you have links. 

He will win some games and as a Yankee he will be benefit from the offense and naturally will be slightly overrated.    He is not going to win 17 much less 20.

17 is the floor.  24 is the ceiling.

He is that good.  I talked to a Japanese guy that raved about him.  I couldn't understand his answer, but it did seem like he was raving about him.

I could see him winning 15 games. I think they'll proceed with caution and not push him. Plus the Yankee offense isn't as reliable as it once was. I'd put the over/under solidly at 15.

You guys know I am just messing around.  I have never seen him pitch so I have no idea.

Then we're in agreement? The Yankees rotation is solid but has very big question marks heading into the season.

Not a Yankee fan but Tanaka is probably as good as any other FA option. When money means nothing as is the case with the Yanks, how can you question signing a guy who went 24-0?

I don't think there were many other options at 2nd and 3rd either. Kelly Johnson should do well in that park and if Roberts does not pan out they have Sizemore..

Yanks are actually better on opening day at C - 1B - SS - 3B -LF-CF-RF/DH -SP then they were last year when you consider how injured they were.

Once widespread roids use ceased, the days of an All-Star at every position ended and rosters will always have question marks.

It was check book baseball once again but barring major injuries they have without a doubt improved on paper.

Not a Yankee fan but Tanaka is probably as good as any other FA option. When money means nothing as is the case with the Yanks, how can you question signing a guy who went 24-0?

I don't think there were many other options at 2nd and 3rd either. Kelly Johnson should do well in that park and if Roberts does not pan out they have Sizemore..

Yanks are actually better on opening day at C - 1B - SS - 3B -LF-CF-RF/DH -SP then they were last year when you consider how injured they were.

Once widespread roids use ceased, the days of an All-Star at every position ended and rosters will always have question marks.

It was check book baseball once again but barring major injuries they have without a doubt improved on paper.

Hey good to see you again.

Well that is just you.  But thanks for sharing.

No. It's not just me. There are a few writers and scouts so far after the dust has started to settle that say the Yankees are still the 3rd most talented team in the division, and I tend to agree. The Yankees will battle for a Wild Card, for sure, but the division will be won by the Sox or Rays.

No. It's not just me. There are a few writers and scouts so far after the dust has started to settle that say the Yankees are still the 3rd most talented team in the division, and I tend to agree. The Yankees will battle for a Wild Card, for sure, but the division will be won by the Sox or Rays.

Same writers that had you finishing last and the Blue Jays finishing first last year? Good call

Same writers that had you finishing last and the Blue Jays finishing first last year? Good call

Probably, but we've seen this story from the Yankees before. Spend exceedingly and fail in the same way.

Are you going to sit there and tell me the Yankees have a better team on paper right now than either of the teams they'll be chasing? Not in the least.

LOL, okay.  I will let everyone know.

I think they spent half a billion dollars to just be the 3rd best team in the division again. But that's just me.

Eh, I'm going to say that I'm less impressed with the Rays than I should be. Everyone just likes them because they pretend to be ever so broke. Not that smart sh*t doesn't happen over there, but it's pretty easy to look smart when you can stack a roster with a handful of tippy top draft talents from a decade of losing. 

Probably, but we've seen this story from the Yankees before. Spend exceedingly and fail in the same way.

Are you going to sit there and tell me the Yankees have a better team on paper right now than either of the teams they'll be chasing? Not in the least.

I don't know what you see with the Sox other than the pen being hands down better than the Yanks.  Sox clicked last year with an average roster. It is hard to repeat that two seasons in a row. 

I don't know what you see with the Sox other than the pen being hands down better than the Yanks. Sox clicked last year with an average roster. It is hard to repeat that two seasons in a row.

The Red Sox rotation has far less question marks than the Yankees and they have studs waiting in the wings.

The Yankees lineup is probably on par with the Red Sox.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Tanaka.  I think he's not being evaluated fairly by anyone.  The people who expect him to be a stud right out of the gate have unrealistic expectations, but so do the people who think he isn't going to be a very good pitcher.  The splitter is becoming an increasingly important pitch in today's game (especially if you pitch in Yankee Stadium), and it is Tanaka's best pitch.  Furthermore, I think it should help him adjust to the MLB style quickly.  Dice-K nibbled way too much.  Darvish went right after guys and was amazing, but could afford to because he had amazing stuff.  The splitter is a kind of pitch that you can throw in the zone without worrying about it getting crushed.  That should help a lot imo.

I still have the Sox and Rays finishing ahead of the Yankees this year, but it's not because I don't like Tanaka.

The Red Sox rotation has far less question marks than the Yankees and they have studs waiting in the wings.

The Yankees lineup is probably on par with the Red Sox.

Pitching is the key and the Sox have it, especially in the bull pen.

Pitching is the key and the Sox have it, especially in the bull pen.

No doubt.

I was surprised their collective offense was as good as it was last year.  Now, their margin of error is even smaller without Els at the top. 

I would have loved to see JBJ seize the job and not have to rely of Grady.

I think Gomes statement about the last place team in the AL East is going to b e pissed because they are a good team.

Like that Tanaka battled and righted himself. Small sample but he looks like a keeper.

And kudos to the newly-augmented Meredith Marakvitz's  surgeons. Some lucky fellow is going to happily get his eyes poked out with those....

Like that Tanaka battled and righted himself. Small sample but he looks like a keeper.

And kudos to the newly-augmented Meredith Marakvitz's  surgeons. Some lucky fellow is going to happily get his eyes poked out with those....

He looked big (sturdy) when I saw the highlights.

Archived